Chapter 2: 4 Months Later

You may get confused but... Don't worry. A lot has happened in the last 5 years and the gaps will be filled in little-by-little. Also, the first chapter aka the letter, was written around May 2020 (crazy, huh? let's not worry about years!) and this one is going to take place like mid-september of that same year.
---------------------------------------------------------

4 months later...

LIMA, OHIO

The sound of an alarm clock echoed through the bedroom, its vibration making everything on the nightstand shake. "I have to get a new one of those," Julie mumbled.

She rose from her bed and slipped into sweat pants, putting on her slippers and walking out into the hallway.

"Luke?" she called out. Nothing. After waiting for another moment to hear back, she gave up and walked into the restroom. Two minutes later, she came back out, her hair still messy but her eyeglasses on and her teeth brushed.

Arf! She looked down to the ground and saw Meg, her tan Pomeranian, scratching at her food bowl. 

"Ugh," Julie groaned. "Did Luke seriously not feed you again? I am going to kill him." Meg whimpered, so Julie added, "Fine, I won't kill him. Then I'd go to jail and no one would ever feed you."

She grabbed the dog food from underneath the sink and poured it on the food bowl, along with water on the second plate. Once Meg was eating happily, Julie made herself a bowl of cereal and sat down on the small kitchen table. 

She sighed and reached for her phone when she realized what day it was. "Oh no..." she mumbled, getting up. "Oh no, no, no. Meg, shoes!"

The small dog looked up from the food bowl and ran to the kitchen as Julie dashed to the bedroom. When she came back out, wearing different clothes, Meg was waiting for her with a set of running shoes in her mouth.

She looked down at her and said, "Wrong shoes..." Meg whimpered and ran off again as Julie grabbed the right pair from underneath the sofa. "I'll see you later, baby," she said before grabbing her things and heading out. As she locked up, she took a deep breath and prepared herself to begin her day.

["Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfeld.]

Julie: I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined. I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned.

She couldn't exactly drive, so it was up to her bike to get her where she wanted to go. Luckily, she kept in shape and Lima was not a big town. Moving back wasn't in the plan, but... She'd missed home and she'd missed her family. Now she was here and she'd brought along a few friends.

Julie: Staring at the blank page before you. Open up the dirty window. Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find. Reaching for something in the distance. So close you can almost taste it. Release your inhibitions. Feel the rain on your skin.

Once she arrived at the building where she had her meeting, she was in such a hurry that she just dropped her bicycle out on the sidewalk and then headed inside.

***

WASHINGTON, D.C.

Kitty: No one else can feel it for you. Only you can let it in. No one else, no one else. Can speak the words on your lips. Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten... Oh, oh, oh...

"I need these papers signed," Kitty said as she walked down a hall with a girl walking just beside her. "I don't care what you or the team has to do, Senator Barnes has to sign the edict or—"