Chapter 44: Finish

"No," Luke said pretty abruptly after Kitty showed up at his apartment to offer him a second chance.

"What?" she responded, surprised. "Why not? Isn't this what you wanted?"

"No," he shook his head. "I wanted you to regret not giving me the chance. Not for you to give that chance to me. That ship has sailed, sista'. Nobody here wants your babies no more."

Kitty gave him a weird look and sighed as she threw herself on his couch. "This is so irritating," she told him. "I just went through a crush with someone who will likely never feel the same way so I realized how I'd made you feel and I did regret it. That's why I'm here and now you're just being a jerk." Luke stayed quiet. "You know what? We should've never had that stupid drunk sex. Julie was right. Before that, we were glued to the hip and I was really enjoying getting to know you. Now I kind of check around corners to make sure you aren't following me..."

"This is annoying," Luke rolled his eyes, taking a seat beside her. "You're right. We were really close and got along well. Sorry for letting everything get weird. You can say that I don't handle rejection well. And that I hold grudges. And also that I have psychopathic tendencies but the last one is debatable. Plenty of people enjoy the same things I do."

"Yeah, other psychopaths," Kitty laughed.

He rolled his eyes again and said, "And about this other guy... If he doesn't know how you feel, you should tell him and make sure there's no chance before you give up."

"Nah," Kitty refused it as she stood up. "There's so much more to do right now and if it's going to happen someday, then it'll happen. For now, I just have to let my life keep going the way it was before and leave the romance for some other chumps to suffer through."

"Yeah, chumps suck!" Luke exclaimed, giving her a high-five before seeing her out. When Kitty was out the door, she let out a deep breath, glad that she could fix this broken relationship. She really had meant what she said; if it was meant to happen, then it would happen. She only wished her friends could let go of the reigns, too, and let fate take its course.

["Stay Beautiful" by Taylor Swift, aka the only reason I named Cory Cory.]

Kitty: Cory's eyes are like a jungle. He smiles, it's like the radio. He whispers songs into my window in words that nobody knows. These pretty girls on every corner, they watch him as he's walking home. Saying, "Does he know?" Will you ever know?

As she made her way out of the building, she began to think through all the guys she had ever been serious with. There were only three and all were in high school. As big as her crush on Cory was, she could never see herself loving him the way she loved her ex-boyfriends. Why even bother when she knew it wouldn't mean much?

Kitty: You're beautiful. Every little piece love. And don't you know. You're really gonna be someone. Ask anyone. And when you find everything you looked for. I hope your love will lead you back to my door. Oh, but if it don't. Stay beautiful...

***

Kitty: If you and I are a story that never gets told. If what you are is a daydream. I'll never get to hold... At least you'll know...

Meanwhile, Amity was taking one more step into the new, braver person that she was becoming. She didn't want anyone to take away anything from Alex before, but now, as she walked up to his apartment, she realized that she had to save him from the person he was becoming. It wasn't the real him so how could she prove that to him?

Kitty: You're beautiful. Every little piece love. And don't you know. You're really gonna be someone. Ask anyone. And when you find everything you looked for. I hope your love will lead you back to my door. Oh, but if it don't.