Chapter 78: London's Calling

3 more!
------------------------------------------------

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

["Under the Boardwalk" by The Drifters.]

Julie dipped her head out of the ocean water, looking up at the sunlit sky. A few feet away from her, Bree was wrapped around Andy's back, her legs dipped in the water. The girls smiled at each other and continued flipping around.

Julie (Bree): Oh, when the sun beats down and burns the tar up on the roof. And your shoes get so hot, you wish your tired feet were fireproof. (Under the boardwalk, down by the sea. On a blanket with my baby is where I'll be.)

Unfortunately, Julie was short and couldn't swim, so she had to stick fairly close to the shore. That wasn't a problem for her friends, who were mostly staying out of the sand. Sam was currently the one furthest away, sliding out from under the boardwalk with a big goofy smile on his face.

Sam (All): (Under the boardwalk) Out of the sun. (Under the boardwalk) We'll be havin' some fun (Under the boardwalk) People walking above (Under the boardwalk) We'll be falling in love. (Under the boardwalk, boardwalk.)

Leila was meanwhile busy getting a tan, lying side by side with Shana as the two rested their backs on comfy towels. They blocked the shade out of their faces with huge umbrellas and the former blocked out all sound with a set of headphones while the latter flipped through a fashion magazine she was bound to be featured in.

Shana (Leila): From the park you hear the happy sound of a carousel. Mmm, you can almost taste the hot dogs and French fries they sell. (Under the boardwalk, down by the sea, yeah. On a blanket with my baby is where I'll be.)

Alex was busy diving off of the boardwalk, trying to avoid landing on Sam, and distracting himself from all the problems he had to deal with. Not only had he been putting off talking to Amity, but he had failed to tell her about his summer plans. Not to mention, he had no idea she had problems of her own. The worst part was that when he returned to Lima, it would have to be to a stupid job and not to his music.

Alex (All): (Under the boardwalk) Out of the sun (Under the boardwalk) We'll be havin' some fun (Under the boardwalk) People walking above (Under the boardwalk) We'll be falling in love. (Under the boardwalk, boardwalk.)

Ryder was by far the most relaxed person there. He loved spending time with Marley, who was his best friend and mother of his child, but it was nice to be away from all of that for a bit. The weekend had provided an escape from some of his biggest fears, which he was trying to hide away in order to make everyone believe he had it all together.

Ryder: Oh, under the boardwalk, down by the sea, yeah. On a blanket with my baby is where I'll be.

Looking over at Sam from his beach chair, however, he knew he had to keep faking. Sam was the one who was likely to freak out, after all, and someone had to be strong for Julie. So on top of being strong for Marley, he had know put it in his head that he had to be looking out for her, too, and the idea was both terrifying and promising.

Sam (All): (Under the boardwalk) Out of the sun (Under the boardwalk) We'll be havin' some fun (Under the boardwalk) People walking above (Under the boardwalk) We'll be falling in love. (Under the boardwalk, boardwalk.)

The gang splashed around and soaked up the sun, pretending that nothing was wrong and they were going to remain youthful and trouble-free forever.

***

"What a fun day!" Shana exclaimed as she and the group made their way toward the fair. "I wish the others had joined us but... We have more fun in smaller groups anyway!"