Chapter 15: Common Ground

When Jeremy entered the McKinley auditorium, Brianna was already waiting for him with what she claimed to be 'the perfect song'.

"And what song would that be?" Jeremy asked, hoping for a throwback to One Direction's first album.

"It is the one piece of music," Brianna began, twirling her little blonde curls nervously, "That can really make me feel like my faults don't matter."

"And what would those faults be?" Jeremy wondered, as she seemed to have it all together. "I mean, you're, like, the one member of the glee club who doesn't have any issues with anyone or anything, which is probably why you're the team captain."

Brianna shook her head and admitted, "No, Kayli's right. The only reason Mr. Hudson agreed to me being team captain is that I'm the only senior girl. None of the guys really cared. Jackson and Jared are too busy butting heads with their respective sports and all Stewart cares about is school politics and getting into Harvard."

"You don't really believe that, do you?" Jeremy responded, carefully, leaning against the grand piano as she took a seat on its bench. "You know something? I don't really feel appreciated in glee club either. I'm not as loud and mean as Kayli and Riley. As cool as the guys or as nice as some of the other girls. As talented. But still, I'm constantly making suggestions and I'm one of the few members to ever even show up at those optional meetings."

"There's optional meetings?" she said, terrified that she may be an even worse leader than she thought.

"Not the point," he tried to take back bringing that up. "Plus, I botched the vocals at the Invitationals."

"If anyone botched anything it was me," Brianna scoffed, shaking her head at herself. "For one, my dancing was awful."

"But you're, like, the best dancer in glee club," he asserted passionately. "I've seen you practicing before and your ballet is absolutely-"

"My ballet," she stopped him. "I'm classically trained and can do a great lyrical but when will that ever be useful in glee club? We never do anything like that."

"Maybe we should..." he muttered thoughtfully. "But anyway," he leaned away, taking a few steps back and inviting her to also stand, "enough of that. How about that song?"

Brianna smiled, walking over to her phone, which was connected to the big speaker system. After clicking play on the song, the music began and she handed Jeremy the sheets to help him along. When he read the title, however, he smiled and put it down. He shamelessly knew it.

["Rocketship" by Shane Harper.]

Brianna: It's been fourteen minutes since I dropped you off and... My mind's still racing. Never thought I'd think about, it's all about you. With your two left feet. And how you're just so sweet. You've got me falling. Like a shooting star.

As Brianna stood there awkwardly, Jeremy thought about how good it could be for the club to start doing different things. Finn wasn't much of a dancer, but that didn't mean they couldn't learn new things. Maybe Brianna's style should be explored more.

Jeremy: And you've got all my friends.
Both: Saying wah ah oh ohhh
Jeremy: When I see you smile
Both: I need to know oh oh ohh

Brianna wanted to dance. She loved it. But any time there was choreography in their numbers, for as long as she'd been in the glee club, all she could do was hip-hop, r&b, or something else that was too sultry for her. She liked the gentle things, much like this song.

Both: Do your knees go weak? Does your tongue get twist? Afraid to close your eyes 'cause you might miss this. I need to know, I need to know. Is it like a rocketship? Stole your heart? Box it up and take it all the way to Mars? I need to know, I need to know.