Chapter 39: Risk

As Albany walked down the halls of McKinley, wearing a lace shirt tucked into a pencil skirt, she had expected something different than what she was getting. A few students turned her way—some jocks staring at her rear, Cheerios whispering to each other—but nobody really seemed to realize she was a new teacher. In fact no one noticed she was a teacher at all.

It wasn't until she reached the teacher's lounge that she realized why. "Whoa, there, only staff here," Finn joked as he poured himself some soda. 

Albany laughed nervously and asked, "Do I really look like a lost new student? I mean, I want people to respect me. I have a while until my first class and I can't—"

"Ok, calm down," Finn told her with a kind smile. "Just breathe. It's your first day. The kids will seem crazy but they just got back from Winter break. Everything will go back to normal so just be yourself and act as you normally would... And all the glee kids know you pretty well by now so if you have any of them in your classes, I'm sure they'll help you out."

"Ok," Albany nodded, beginning the mental preparation to deal with teenagers for the rest of her day and months to follow. "It's just like dealing with Luke..." she told herself, pouring some coffee. "And Shana on holidays..."

As Albany filled up her mug, Figgins walked into the room, leading her to automatically straighten up. "Oh, hello, new and spunky creative writing teacher Albany Boynton," he greeted her, making her smile politely. "I'm glad I found you. The senior seminar teacher has just called to say she's caught the swine flu."

"That's still at thing?" Albany stammered.

Figgins began to lead her out of the room while he said, "I need someone to cover her class and you're the only staff member who is free first period."

"But," she said, pointing behind her as they stepped into the hallway. "There's a whole room of teachers there and they're all just hanging out..."

"Please," Figgins pleaded with a smile Albany couldn't resist. 

"Sure," Albany nodded. "What's the seminar about?"

"The internet," he answered. "These kids are posting personal information all over the world wide web... And they need to hear that while the internet is powerful, it is also dangerous."

"Like Spiderman," Albany chimed. 

"Yes," Figgins nodded. "Exactly like Spiderman."

When Albany was just about to reach the classroom for her substitute lesson, she ran into a boy she didn't recognize, who definitely seemed too old to be in high school. "Damn girl," he told her as he stopped to check her out. 

She gaped for a moment and then told him, "I'm a teacher!"

"Even better," he said with a wink. He began to walk away until she dashed in front of him. 

"Excuse me?" she said, expecting an apology.

"You're new so I'll give you some advice," he sighed. "Stop being suck a stick in the mud or you'll be hearing the students call you that behind your back. Maybe even in front of it."

"Sticks and stones," she shrugged. He laughed and began walking away again but this time she managed to stop him. "Look, I don't want any trouble," she told him. "But I'm an instructor and it is absolutely necessary that as a student, you respect me. So I'm going to give you a detention and hope that with that, we won't have any trouble in the future. What's your name?"

"Clint," the student nodded and smiled. "And look, honest mistake. Won't ever happen again. I promise I was just trying to ease the nerves for a new teacher. I just seen you lookin' all lost and wanted to help. My bad."