Chapter 30: Prove It

"Wait, wait, wait," Sam said, looking up from his laptop at Mandy as the two got ready for bed. "You're telling me that... Both Jake and John knew the lyrics to 'Love Bug'?"

Mandy rolled her eyes at him and said, "That was so not the point. Were you even paying attention to me?"

"Sort of," Sam said, turning his computer around for her to see. "I'm playing the new Sims game. See? I made you."

"Why is my butt so small?" Mandy wondered, tilting her head sideways as she stared at the animated version of herself.

"I like tiny booties," he shrugged. He closed down his laptop and added, "Look, about the whole John thing, I wouldn't get involved. He rarely dates girls for more than one night, so this is a good thing. I do kind of feel bad for Jake but... What are you gonna do?"

Mandy crossed her arms and answered, "I don't know... Talk to Leila? We've worked together for some time and maybe she'll listen to me."

"Wait, are you going to break them up?" Sam furrowed his brow. "That's messed up."

"No, of course not," she shook her head. "I'm just going to talk to her. She'll understand."

***

"I don't understand," Leila said, shaking her head at Mandy. "You don't want me to break up with John. But you don't want me to date him?"

"I do want you to date him!" Mandy exclaimed very quickly. "I really, really do. It's just that... I guess what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't fall into the pattern that all of the girls in this town fall into..."

Leila took a deep breath and said, "Mandy, pay close attention to what I'm about to say. I've liked you since we met and until now, I haven't been given any reason for that to change. Now, you've obviously been living in this teeny tiny town for too long if the best thing you have to do with your spare time instead of planning your upcoming nuptials is to meddle in the love life of a co-worker and your fiance's best friend. I suggest you drop it because I have enough trouble with this new relationship already, from Jake to John's friend not being supportive and it's just going to be a really big bummer if you get on my list. You do not want to be on my list."

Leila smiled before walking away, leaving Mandy speechless. "She's scary..." she muttered as she headed in a different direction.

***

"This isn't working," Julie slammed her pen down and looked up at Sebastian, who simply blinked and stared back blankly.

"What are you talking about?" he asked. They had just been working on the arrangement for one of her songs and already she had found a reason to stall the work.

Julie sighed as she answered, "I need a producer. Look... You're great at the business side of this and you've been a wonderful manager for me, but also having you as my producer... It's just too much. Now that I'm no longer producing for Santana, I think we should think about hiring someone else who can work on the musical arrangement. I'm happy to keep writing—for me, for Santana, and even for the boys—but I'm not a strong composer and I don't feel comfortable getting John or Sam to help like I did in the past. So I'm asking not as your client but as a business partner and friend... We need someone else. Someone new."

She waited nervously for Sebastian to respond, expecting some sort of rant about how he's doing his best and if she works harder they won't need anyone. But he just sighed and said, "Ok."

"And just so you know," she went on, not realizing he had accepted, "I wouldn't mind asking John for help under normal circumstances. It's not, like, a pride thing or anything. Obviously I can't go to Sam, our history is just too deep, but John is different. He's always helpful, except right now it's like RENT all over again and we're both being stubborn only now the tables have turned and it's more like guitar club than glee club and—"