Chapter 32: Secrets

Alex was sitting at home, having just gotten back from an early morning jog, when a loud, hurried knock forced him to get up. He sighed and walked to the door grouchily, angry at whoever was ruining his peace. 

When he opened the door however, he found Kara, all frazzled and in a rush. He began to greet her but she marched right past him and began searching his living room for something. "I'm late to meet Peyton," she explained softly, out of breath. "But I left my wallet here last night. Have you... seen it..."

Alex followed her gaze to Meg's bed, where the small dog was chewing on her brown leather wallet. Kara groaned as she reached for it, jumping back when Meg growled. She turned to Alex and crossed her arms, obviously angry, so Alex snapped his fingers at Meg and retrieved Kara's belongings. 

As he handed it to her, she frowned at how destroyed it was and checked for the items inside of it to still be in tact. Seeing a few torn papers, she scoffed and headed for the door.

"Wait," Alex pleaded, trying to block her way. She rolled her eyes at him, however, and, completely stressed out from her visit, left. After Kara slammed the door, Alex expected for the sleeping Julie to get up, but when she didn't he took matters into her own hand. After stomping his way to her doorway, he began to pound on the door until she got up and opened it.

"What the hell..." she mumbled sleepily, rubbing her eyes.

They widened when he began to shout, "Thanks to your stupid dog, Kara is mad."

"Uh..." Julie gasped. "Apologize to her right now."

"Whatever," Alex rolled his eyes at her in the same way Kara had done to him. "Just get ready so that you don't make me late to the studio."

"No, forget it," an offended Julie responded. "I'll just ask Sebastian to come pick me up on his way over since he doesn't insult my baby."

Alex rolled his eyes once again and repeated, "Whatever," leaving just as angrily as Kara had.

Still shocked by his behavior, Julie turned to Meg, arms crossed, and watched as the dog began to whimper. "Don't feel bad," she ordered. "It's not your fault his girlfriend sucks."

***

"Where are you going?" Kitty barked from the top of the staircase, tightening up her robe as she dashed down to follow Riley, who was almost out the door.

"To school," Riley mumbled, looking at her as though she was crazy.

"I spoke to Finn," Kitty told her. "He told me all about your little argument. Is everything ok?"

Riley nodded and answered, "I was just really uncomfortable with everyone spilling their secrets like that. So I left. Nothing new." Kitty opened her mouth to say more but Riley beat her to the punch, "I'm going to be late for school now so unless you want to have me arrested for truancy..."

Riley readjusted her backpack and walked out the door before Kitty could get a single additional word across to her.

***

"A book?" Rachel asked as she and Quinn met up for coffee before Quinn had to go to work. The Lima Bean was fairly empty, which was refreshing as compared to the otherwise adolescent-filled occasions.

"A musical," Quinn responded. "Jesse said he's been working on it for a few years and now it's complete. Isn't that weird? Jesse the playwright..."

"Not really," Rachel shrugged. "I mean, it does seem like something he would do. I'm just a bit upset that he didn't tell me about it so that I could take part in it... But this isn't about me. What's going to happen now?"