Chapter 36: Winter Wonderland

When Julie arrived at Jake's house, she hesitated before knocking on his door. If it wasn't for all that Kitty had done for her, she may not have gotten where she is now. She owed her.

As Jake opened the door, his expression changed from apathetic to confused. Jokingly, he said, "I knew you'd come back," before stepping aside and letting her in.

"I just heard you were ditching Kitty's party for Santana's," Julie said as she walked into his small living room. "So I thought I'd come talk some sense into you before tonight."

"I told Kitty earlier this morning," Jake sighed. "I'm not going because of everyone not wanting me there. Not because of her. I'm sorry for what I did to Peyton and Leila and even Kara even though I don't really know her... But I'm even more sorry that it upset the guys. I just never have really been close to John or Alex and Dan sort of hung around me because of Ryder back in the day so... It's not worth it. But no worries, I still got my person from the exchange their gift and I'll drop it off."

Julie looked around nervously as she thought of what Kitty had asked him to do specifically, something which she hated doing above all. Lying to Jake. 

"Ok, so the guys are actually completely fine with what happened now," she told him as she looked back up at him. "They said that there was no harm, no fowl... Totally willing to do the guy thing and just let it go." Jake didn't seem to buy it at first so she added, "And for the record, Riley was really bummed to hear that you wouldn't be there so..."

Jake considered the two points Julie had given him as he took a seat and invited her to do the same next to him. Once they were still, he said, "It just gets to a point every now and then when I feel like nothing will be the same anymore. Back when we were all really close. And I know that my distance from the group is my own doing. From talking to almost no one for all those years to this recent issue with Peyton... That I just... How can we be the generation of glee kids with the most people staying in town and still have this many gaps keeping us apart? Some of us aren't even friends."

"But you can't deflect to another group just because of it," Julie shook her head. She reached for his hand and said, "We have friends here. We're all one big incestuous family." As Jake laughed, she added, "You have people who love you. People who care." Standing up, she finished, "And let me tell you, Santana isn't one of them."

As Julie walked back towards the door, Jake considered what she'd said. He still wasn't sure whether going to Kitty's party was a good idea, but he figured it couldn't be more humiliating than Thanksgiving, throwing himself all over a girl who was already with someone else. Perhaps he would just go and see how it went. If all else failed, he could just grab his things, say goodnight, and go home.

***

"Why are you here?" Kitty asked Ryder as he followed her around the house, helping out with decorations and setting up all the food. Albany and Amity were also there, setting up all of the food in the dining room. 

"Uh, you know," Ryder answered unconvincingly. "Just being my usual self... All helpful and, uh... Selfless and what not..."

Kitty spun around from the Christmas tree, where she was arranging the gifts properly, and said, "I know about Bree's little plan. I found that picture of me and while I could completely understand why you would take an interest in me—I mean, I looked smokin' and that wasn't even at my best—but I'll just save you the trouble and reject you now. I'm not interested in having any guy in my life, not romantically. I've been pushed out of politics and it's time I get back in there."

"Right..." he responded, defeated as she returned to her decorating. He walked into the dining room, where Albany and Amity were waiting with amused looks. "What?" he mumbled.