Chapter 37: Doubts

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 30th, 2020... Lima, Ohio... Quinn's Apartment. 11 AM.

When Jesse awoke in the morning with a sleeping Quinn Fabray beside him, he couldn't help but smile. The year was ending and soon it was going to be their year. Their wedding was the first day of May and between now and then much was going to happen, like Clint probably joining the New Directions, all of their competitions, Santana's career kicking off and hopefully getting funding for his musical. Not to mention he'd be a father by the end of August. It finally felt like he had a life to live.

That same morning, he had a lunch with his best guy friends, which was nice considering how many of his friends were women. He sat at a table in with Finn, Artie, Sam, and Puck at The Posh Bar—the most popular sports bar in town since its big opening almost six years prior—and it felt completely great to have at least part of the gang back together before the new year. 

"You know, I never thought I'd see all of you in serious relationships before me," Artie shook his head incredulously as they ate. "You were all womanizers in high school and somehow have all settled down before me."

"You should be proud," Puck told him with spite. "I love Mercedes, but I have to tell you, it's tough..."

"But Mercedes is awesome," Artie pointed out. "She's a Billboard top ten artist and you're a big movie screenwriter. How could it be tough with a life that's never boring?"

"Do you have any idea how many hot women live in L.A.?" Puck asked him in response. "Take however many you have in New York, multiply it by fifty, and that's what my life is like. Especially in Hollywood. It's a world of Quinns out there."

"Hey hey..." Jesse said abruptly.

"Sorry," Puck responded sarcastically. "Quinn is totally repulsive to the rest of us."

"Well, I for one don't care about how attractive other women are," Jesse crossed his arms. "When we're married, I'll be the luckiest guy in the world."

The other guys all laughed at the same time, confusing him. "Look, I love Mandy," Sam pointed out. "But Puck isn't lying. When you get serious with someone, it's like suddenly you're looking around at all the beautiful women you can't have. And it's ok that you can't have them because you're with the only one that matters but... It's still there."

"It gets worse when you get married," Finn admitted. "Rachel is the best thing that could've happened to me and even I have to admit, it's like tying the knot just causes you to give out some sort of sexy man cologne that instantly attracts beautiful women. And then they all look at you like you're the star quarterback again but it's too late. Not that Rachel is my ball and chain... She's a dream come true. There are cons though."

"Wow, do I really want to get married?" Sam said jokingly. The other guys laughed, but Jesse was faking his chuckles, beginning to wonder the same thing. And how could he be having doubts when there was an actual, living child involved? The guys certainly weren't helping.

["A Miracle Would Happen/When You Come Home To Me" from The Last 5 Years.]

Finn: Everyone tells you that the minute you get married. Every other woman in the world suddenly finds you attractive. Well, that's not true. It only affects the kind of women you always wanted to sleep with. But they wouldn't give you the time of day before. And now they're banging down your door And falling to their knees...

Jesse forced a smile as Finn stood up and looked around the room as if warning every single guy of what would happen when they got married. 

Finn: At least that's what it feels like because you. Can. Not. Touch. Them. In fact, you can't even look at them—Close your eyes, close your eyes, close your eyes. Except you're sitting there. Eating your corned beef sandwich. And all of a sudden this pair of breasts walks by and smiles at you. And you're like, "That's not fair!"