Chapter 68: Nausea, Hallucinations, and Other Signs You're In Need of Help

At the studio, Julie was taking a break in the board room when Sam stormed in and asked, "So what's going on? You walked out on dinner last night so quickly that you never answered my question. Who's this Shawn guy and what did he do to you? And why have you been avoiding me so much and being so rude to me? Am I really dead to you or was that just all talk? I don't get what's happening between us anymore, Julie."

Julie looked up at him, overwhelmed by how much he was saying. His lips were moving so quickly. "I'm a little distracted by the size of your mouth," she told him, hyperventilating a bit. "And I feel sick... Dizzy... I think I might faint." She leaned forward in her seat as Sam took several angry steps towards her. 

"I bet this is just another one of your lies," he told her. "You just don't want to answer any of my questions."

"No..." she shook her head, standing up. "I've been feeling ill since I stopped using drugs and... I really think I might pass out."

"I don't believe you," he shook his head. "You were fine until dinner last night. Just eating all that food, perfectly normal until I started asking questions."

"Food..." she mumbled. With one quick convulsion, she leaned forward and, rather than fainting, felt so nauseous that she couldn't hold back the puke that came up and out of her mouth.

"Eww..." Sam groaned as it landed on his feet. "Julie!" She covered her mouth, not sure where that had come from. Embarrassed and wishing to avoid any further question, she ran out of the room and towards the restroom.

***

"John!" Leila exclaimed as she caught the guy walking out of the studio not long after the unfortunate puking incident. He turned around on the sidewalk and she said, "I've been wanting to talk to you since dinner."

"That was weird, wasn't it?" he asked.

She laughed and nodded, "Very... But, uh, I guess I wanted to talk to you. We never really talked about what happened between us."

"Don't even worry about it," he said, shaking his head.

"No, we should talk," she said. "I know that you've been wanting to change things up. And I also know that the film you're working on will stop shooting in a few weeks so... I was wondering if you'd maybe consider trying to find work in New York."

"What?" he asked, confused. "Why?"

"Because..." she murmured nervously. "I'm in New York and, well... Maybe we could start getting to know each other, for real this time. I'm willing to... I'll be open this time. I'll tell you everything you need to know about me. But with everything that happened to us I changed my life. I'm doing honest work and I'm not going to lie anymore."

John stared at her, not sure how to respond. He really had no idea what she wanted or what he wanted for that.

["I Can Do Better Than That" from The Last Five Years.]

Leila: My best friend had a little situation at the end of our senior year. And like a shot, she and Mitchell got married that summer. Carolann getting bigger every minute thinking, "What am I doing here?" 

Leila had such a hopeful look in her eyes that he found it hard to stop her.

Leila: While Mitchell's out every night being a heavy-metal drummer. They got a little cute house on a little cute street with a crucifix on the door. Mitchell got a job at the record store in the mall. 

And he didn't even know if he wanted to stop her. He really did miss her and maybe the next stop for him could be New York.

Leila: Just the typical facts of a typical life in a town on the Eastern Shore. I thought about what I wanted. It wasn't like that at all. Made Carolann a cute baby sweater. Thinking "I can do better than that"