Chapter 14: Fade Into You

In case you don't follow me on Tumblr (grr!), you might've missed that I have created another account. This story will continue to be on here, but I've also been wanting to start a story completely unrelated to this one (also about Glee) in which I start from Season 2 and basically re-do it. Some of the Newbies may be there, others may not. But the point is that I'm going to try and make up for the errors, inconsistencies, and downright ludicrousness of the show that began with the second season. If you are at all interested, follow me at @gleedo here on Wattpad and get excited! Other than that, here's yet another chapter of this story, which will continue to be my priority, of course!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Walking around the crowded hallways, Finn raced to the choir room, realizing he'd taken a nap that was far too long—and unfortunately in the boys' locker room—and was now running late for glee club. To make matters worse, he had completely spaced out on coming up with a good idea for the week's lesson.

The over-arching goal was to have something ready for Sectionals. With Homecoming pushed one week ahead, they were now ahead of schedule for the competition and the showcase, so he didn't really know what to do with the extra week.

"Surprise!" Rachel beamed as he walked into the choir room. She held out her arms for an embrace and as Finn put his arms around her tiny frame, he noticed a bag of lunch on his desk and smiled.

"Did you bring me lunch?" he asked, forever grateful to have made Rachel his wife.

She nodded proudly and told him, "I thought I might stick around while Olivia is in daycare and observe your class. I'm sure with the Halloween carnival, the showcase, homecoming, and all these other things up ahead, you must have a lot planned."

Finn faked a smile but then realized there was no use in pretending he had it all together. "Actually, Rach," he admitted, "I have no idea what I'm going to do with the kids at all this week. I mean, they are seriously all over the map. Their workshops are going well, but it seems like it's only alienating them from each other even more. I actually had to witness one girl give another one poison ivy as payback for that girl dumping a bucket of mud and worms on the first girl."

"Gross," Rachel interjected, her face contorted with repulsion.

"Did anyone ever do something so cruel when we were teens?" Finn asked, shaking his head incredulously.

"Depends on what you think is worse," she shrugged. "Puck dumping Kurt in the lobsters, sticking Artie in the portapotties... You throwing slushies at us... And don't get me started on everything Sue did!"

"Ok, point taken," he stopped her. "So... What can I do that'll really help those kids who antagonize each other see who they are in a newer, better light?"

Rachel concentrated for a moment, asking herself what Will Schuester would've done, and suddenly her face lit up with an epiphany. "I've got it!" she chirped. "A duet assignment!"

"Really?" Finn said dubiously. "Isn't there something else in that beautiful brain of yours?"

Rachel ignored him and skidded to the whiteboard as she wrote down Duet and explained, "Duets have historically helped everyone in glee club bond with someone unexpected. Quinn and Sam, Santana and Mercedes—no one ever came out hurt from this assignment."

"Well, there was that fight when I did the whole Dynamic Duets thing," Finn noted.

Confused, Rachel turned to him, but then shook her head and figured she wouldn't understand even if he tried to explain. "Anyway," she continued, turning away from the whiteboard, "the kids will be here any second so think of the ones who need the most bonding and pair them up!"