Yearly Visit

Myself

Chapter 28

At around 5 they ventured back out, Hoseok said he wanted to watch the sunset so they headed off to the cliffs that were close to Jungmun beach.

By the time they had gotten there, the sun had started to set, lighting the whole island with golden-orange light.

Hyungwon couldn't help but smile, he had always enjoyed a good sunset and despite how corny it sounded, this was their first sunset as a couple; so he made sure to commit the view to memory.

Hoseok was still holding his hand as he guided them to an open spot where they could sit and watch the sky changed colors.

They both sat in silence for a while before Hyungwon spoke up about something that had been on his mind.

"Hoseok?"

Hoseok turned to look at him, skin alight with the orange cast of the setting sun.

"Why did you come here? You said you were coming alone before Hyunwoo tagged along, so you already had plans..."

Hoseok looked at him before lifting the corners of his lips in a sad smile.

"You're very perceptive," Hoseok said as he lay on his back and looked at the sky.

Hyungwon decided to follow suit and lay on his side, watching Hoseok's face.

"I told you I used to live here before right?"

Hyungwon nodded even though Hoseok wasn't looking at him.

"My parents met here on Jeju; my father was from Seoul, my mother from Busan.  Their birthday was on the same day and that year for their 18th birthday they both asked for the same thing; a trip to Jeju." A warm smile took over Hoseok's face along with a nostalgic look in his eyes.

"My parents were always told that they were made for each other since birth.  Before their 18th birthday, they had both been in the same places at the same time but had never met until here.  So when they got together, they decided they would move to Jeju. Today is their wedding anniversary, which also happens to be their birthday."

They both lay in silence, Hyungwon wanting to wait for Hoseok to have finished before speaking up.

"So you come to visit them on their birthday?"

Hoseok finally turned to him, a sad smile on his face. "Every year."

Hyungwon nodded and reached out to take Hoseok's hand into his own. Hoseok latched tightly onto Hyungwon's, the man's calloused and warm hands enveloping his cold and thin ones.

"Am I intruding then? By coming I mean." Hyungwon asked as he moved closer to Hoseok.

Hoseok pulled Hyungwon into his side effortlessly and shook his head.

"I always come alone and this year was going to be my first time coming with someone. I'm happy you're here."

Hyungwon nodded and buried his head into Hoseok's chest. They both stayed like that well into the evening; until the sky was dark and the air was too cold for them.