Chapter 13*

H

I was woken up this morning to an ear piercing ring of a phone. El's body was squished up against my own, but she stirred slightly and let out a groan at the noise. "Who the fuck is calling this early in the morning." she mumbled out.

"Is it yours or mine?" I say with my eyes still closed.

I felt her roll off of me and let out a louder groan. "It's mine" I hear.

"What the fuck" she said under her breath before letting out a louder hello into the phone.

I sat up so I could see her since I couldn't hear whoever was on the other side of the phone.

"I'm good. What can I do for you?" she asks hesitantly.

I furrowed my eyebrows at her slightly at the hesitant tone. 'Who is it?' I mouthed to her, but all I got was her holding up her pointer finger and a small head shake.

I watched her face fall slightly and she rested her forehead in her free hand. The call was filled with her mumbling okay and don't worry about it. I was confused about what was going on, but anytime I tried to ask she just brushed me off.

"Well thank you for calling. Have a good day" I heard her say and then she hung up the phone. Before I could even say anything she was throwing her phone to the end of the bed and standing up out of bed..

"Who was that? What happened?"

I watch her stop before reaching her bedroom door and turn around to face me again. "It was my boss. He fired me. Well technically he had to because the diner is closing, but he told me I didn't need to come in for my remaining shifts." she says quickly. "I'm going to take a shower. Need to calm down before I get too angry. I'll be back."

I just nod at her and tell her to yell if she needs me.

She communicated that she needed some space and I have to respect that. Who the fuck am I to not let her have some time to herself. Everyone needs space.

I know she has no idea how to express some emotions. Whether she feels hurt or sad is something she struggles with. She either just gets mad and shuts everyone out or starts completely spiraling. I am starting to learn or at least trying to learn what her reactions mean. Right now she feels hurt. I know she's hurt because if she was upset there would have been tears along her waterline and there wasn't. She feels hurt and frustrated.

I have no idea what El losing her job means in terms of money. We haven't talked much about her financial situation. I assume she makes enough in order to live in New York, but I don't know much. Obviously I am more than willing to help her out if she needs it, but I already know she will tell me to fuck off if I try.

I stay laid in bed since it's only just past 6 am and I don't technically need to leave until 8:30. That's the nice thing about staying at El's.. her apartment is very close to the office. It takes about 15 minutes to walk there and I can do it in even less time if I run. My apartment requires me to drive or take the subway unless I'm in the mood for a long ass walk. It's just a lot more convenient to stay here during the week.

As I lay here just waiting for her, I start to hear a horrid kind of scream-singing coming from the bathroom.

Her speaker is on, but I can hear her more than it. She Will Be Loved by Maroon Five is being screamed so loud that I know even the neighbors can hear it.

I can't help but laugh at her singing. I know she's not feeling great, but her singing sounds like a dying cat.

Before I know it, I am walking to the bathroom door to listen to her. I jiggle the door knob and feel that she did in fact leave it unlocked.