Chapter 52

E

It was hard saying goodbye to Evelyn and Owen, not knowing when I'd be back next. Niall was upset saying goodbye, but once we were on the road and driving home, he was okay.

Ev sent us home with so much food and refused to take no for an answer. She dragged us all to the grocery store last night and basically told us that it was her treat and we could get whatever we wanted. Niall didn't pass up the opportunity, but she had to push Harry and I to add anything to the cart. I feel bad taking advantage of such a generous offer. 

I thought Jackson was going to be a hard goodbye, but he told me he'd be in New York in the next few weeks. He was sure of it and that made it easier to say goodbye for now.

He stayed in Maryland for a few extra hours, going to visit my parents and some friends who he hadn't seen in a while. He also ensured that everything was okay with the house and the rest of my Dad's assets. He didn't have much, but there were a few things that my Grandma was mostly taking care of. Jackson was just ensuring that everything was still alright before leaving. 

The drive back into the city was long, but Niall and Harry made it a whole lot more bearable. Niall will crack a sarcastic remark any chance he gets and Harry feeds off of that, so it's conversation after conversation of sarcasm and acting like assholes.

"I can't wait to see Astera." Niall sighs, sitting back in his seat. "And Bailey." he adds quickly. "Don't tell her I said Astera before I said her. That's not what I meant."

"I'm telling her." Harry says, looking over to me and winking, but Niall didn't see it.

Niall leans up, flicking right under Harry's ear causing him to fold his neck and reaching back to swat at Niall. "I'm driving, Niall. If you want us to wreck, do it again." he says, looking through the rearview mirror at Niall.

Niall lifts his hand as if he's about to flick him again, but I swat his hand down giving him a knowing look to stop.

And then he flicks me square in the forehead, causing me to recoil before looking back at him.

"What the fuck, Niall?" I put my palm on my forehead.

"You were an easy to target. Work smarter, not harder." he says, nodding his head at me matter of factly.

"I don't even know if that makes sense in this situation." Harry laughs, shaking his head.

Niall just shrugs, leaning back in his seat and pulling his phone from his pocket.

"If you need me, I'll be asleep, so please don't need me." he says before putting his airpods in, not even waiting for Harry or I to answer him.

"He's really something." Harry says, looking over to me.

"That's being too nice." I shake my head.

Harry keeps driving, stopping for food and gas before just getting back on the road and driving again. Niall woke up only an hour after falling asleep which was unfortunate for my ears. I love him to death, but his favorite place to talk is in the car and he'll talk until he's blue in the face.

After seven long hours, Harry was pulling onto the curb in front of Niall and I's apartment.

"Is Bailey here?" I ask Niall as we walk around Harry's car to the trunk.

"She should be." he nods, obviously excited to see her again after nearly three weeks.

The fact that both of them basically dropped their lives here in order to be there for me is overwhelming to say the least. I brought up them coming back to New York early one other time and I was shut down again. Harry did take a few days to video call for meetings and read over manuscripts, which he insisted could be done from home. He also told me the only reason he still goes into the office every day is because it's the only way he can ensure that his work gets done.