23

• Trigger

Trigger

I decided to come over to my parents empty house and spend the rest of the day there rather than occupying my whole life inside a dorm room with Sunghoon.

But as always...He was following me like a lap dog. "Gosh will you quite following me?!" I stomped my feet in irritation.

"Hmm let me think...No"  - Sunghoon

"Why are we even here??" - Sunghoon

"I just want to spend some time here, I left my notebook in my mother's room...I'll go get it."

I wasn't actually looking for my notebook...I was looking for my old diary...it was linked to Yohan. We shared that diary together...ever since his death it has been missing.

I've looked everywhere for that diary....the only place I have never checked was deep in my mother's room.

I scattered around all of her notebooks....searching crazily. "Please...please be here."

But she's not that dumb to just plainly leave it....I quickly picked up all of her notebooks until something fell out of one of her notebooks.

Why would mom need something like this?....A key to a lock...was there a lock in her room??

I now lingered her room in search for the hidden lock, I began to move all of her furniture..."Please...."

I moved her dresser...It was surprising light...I covered my mouth. The lock was in the wall....

I aggressively put in the key, the little door swung open. I shoved all of her notebooks...yes more notebooks, until i could hear the sound of glass on the floor.

I turned my back my hands examining the floor for what dropped....I felt something flash in the corner of my eyes...My hands caught onto the being.

A chain?... why was it the exact same one I wore on my neck?

I quickly realized that something was in that place I opened with the lock, I reached my hand deeper feeling the sensation of a leather fabric caressing against my skin smoothly.

I gripped onto it and took it out of the deep hole....I finally found it....my diary.

I rushed into the pages...but it specially stopped at one page that I wasn't partially familiar with

——

My last letter:

Wang Yerin...my beloved cousin. My time is here, I've been fighting for many years...I'm sorry to inform you that I can't spend the rest of my life being by your side. I hope you cherish all the moments we've spent together as kids and up to now....even when I'm gone I hope you never forget my name. This necklace, I never told you but when I gave the necklace to you,I bought one for myself as well hoping to surprise you with it in the future...but unfortunately it's never going to happen. If you find my necklace keep it with you...it's yours forever...this is my last message to you...I love you my best friend. Take care.

- Love Yohan

I screamed, bursting into millions of tears. I clenched onto my chest that felt like it was ripping away.

"YOHAN...NO..." I threw the notebook out of my site and shrieked in horror.

The door burst open by Sunghoon who got startled by my loud cries.

"YERIN WHATS WRONG?!? Why are you crying?! Yerin?!"  He shook me but I wouldn't stop weeping.

"OH MY GOD SHE KEPT EVERYTHING FROM ME...SHE KEPT HIS LAST LETTER THAT WAS THE PIECE OF PAPER IN OUR DIARY AND THE NECKLACE..." I held onto my throat as if I was being chocked.

Sunghoon fixed his eyes on the room...he saw the brown leathered diary and grabbed onto it. He searched the pages finding the letter and reading it through, Yohan's photo in it as well.

Sunghoon stared down at my hand...the one that had Yohan's necklace.

"You knew Yohan....Wang Yohan...was your cousin?" A tear slipped out of sunghoon's eyes.

"W-what...?"

"W-wang Yohan I thought it was just a name I thought that maybe it was a different Yohan when Jungwon mentioned that name...but it's him."

More tears slipped out of my eyes, I vigorously shook Sunghoon.

"SUNGHOON WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT" I yelled.

"He's the one I was talking about...the one I told you about that I lost...it was Yohan." He curled up into a ball, he started to sniffle loudly.

"I was there when he passed away but I didn't see you in the hospital room..."

"I didn't get to say bye to him Sunghoon" my voice cracked.

"When I saw that necklace....I knew it was him. He wore that necklace with him everyday at school talking about how he was going to show someone. When you lost your necklace that day...I'll be honest I didn't want to give it back to you...I wanted to keep it because it was the only thing that made me remember him."

"I thought it was just a coincidence since you could find that necklace in the stores back then..." - Sunghoon

"You were a student at Janglim Elementary school?"

Sunghoon nodded his head, "I was like best friends with Yohan...Even when we weren't in the same high school after the dismissal I would spend my time with him under a cherry blossom tree and just talk."

"After his passing...I wouldn't go to Janglim anymore to sit by the blossom tree, I didn't want to hear his name anymore, it hurt me thinking about him, I grew cold with everyone, I became my worst person....I stayed through his whole funeral in solitude."

I wiped more of my tears off....I placed the necklace in sunghoon's hands.

"Sunghoon....I'm trusting you with his possession. Wear this necklace everyday for me...don't ever lose it. When you look at it...think of your best friend."

"Yerin...no w-why would you give it to me?"

"We both lost someone we loved with our hearts...but you were left with nothing by them...this necklace is something to remember him by...so keep it. I trust you with it."

Sunghoon brought me into his arms and sniffle....I responded by returning him the tight hug he engulfed me in.

"Thank you...Yerin."