2. I See What Is Hidden (Danail)

"Kneel, reckless boy!" my mother sobs, startling me out of my trance.

   I'm the only one standing among the ten warriors, sprawled face down on the sand.

   I look back at the boy. His pink eyes, pinned on mine, are getting darker. His face is still, expressionless, as if his mind is not inside his body. I can't move my gaze away. I'm unable to force myself to kneel. I'm under a spell, bewildered, frozen.

   Suddenly, his eyes turn bright red. His pupils shrink into two thin, black slits. His lips tremble, slowly parting. The sky turns purple. Black clouds shade the sun. Chilly wind grabs my hair, waving it like a flag around my face. I hear a quiet whisper all around me, words that I don't understand, melodic, enchanting, frightening. This must be the end. I'm not afraid. The only thought, occupying my mind, is that I'm grateful, because I've met him before I die and heard God's voice, chanting in the wind.

   It all ends as quick as it started. The boy's eyes roll back, leaving only the white of his sclera visible under his eyelids. His body shakes. I can see that he's going to fall. I tear a cloak from the nearest man's shoulders and dash towards him.

   "Don't touch him!" the queen screams shrilly. "His skin should never be touched!"

   I know it, but I can't let him fall on the scorching sand. It'll burn him. I'm next to him in the blink of an eye, spreading the cloak on my open arms. He slides down in my embrace with a silent gasp. His complexion is delicate, almost transparent. His long hair flows down like a river of gold, touching the ground. His pale, chapped lips move, pronouncing inaudible words. I bend, bringing my ear close to his mouth.

   "I know you," he utters, "You're the one that follows," and passes out like a flame in the breeze.

   "Water!" I order, heading towards the main tent.

   Tar immediately jumps, rushing ahead of me. The water is hidden deep in the ground to keep it cool, right under my bedding. It can be accessed only upon my or the queen's order. Every drop is more precious than a bag of diamonds.

   "What shall we do?" Queen Airya whimpers behind me. "He had mercy this time. He's weak. Maybe, he spared us only to help him. When he's healed, he'll wipe us all from the face of the Earth."

   "Mother, I don't recognize you!" I sternly retort. "Since when do you fear a feeble boy? Brace yourself! The men are watching. Their queen should be strong."

   "You know who he is!" she hisses. "Your wild beasts have put their hands on what should never be touched. He can destroy the whole world, if he wants!"

   "And yet, he's never caused harm," I shake my head. "If he had the powers, that people believe, and wanted to use them, he would've helped his father and ended this war before it even began."

   "He can't take sides," she snaps. "God doesn't take sides, but will never forgive harming his chosen."

   "What's done can't be changed," I end her rant. "We need to make sure he's not in danger. Then we'll gather the Supreme Council to decide what to do next."

   The boy stirs in my arms and I direct my eyes at him. He's as light as a feather. You could never tell we're the same age. He looks five years younger, at least.

   "I wonder how such a fragile creature lives in the desert," I mumble. "He needs some water to cool his face."

   "Do not touch him!" my mother stops me with a palm on my shoulder, gazing insistently into my eyes. "Whatever you do, keep away from his skin, or hair. It's forbidden! Use a cloth to wet him, never your hand."

   "I know! Don't worry, mother! Go take some rest. You look shaken," I tell her, my face softening.

   She might be a ruthless warrior, but has never forgotten to be my mother, to love and care for me. She came to the desert because of me, unable to bear being away from her little boy. This place changed us both. The graceful, sophisticated beauty is now a merciless fighter. The naughty child, always giggling and stealing sweets from the kitchen, became a snake, toxic, deadly and terrifying. These are our cruel world's ways. Kings rule while their sons fight, regardless of their age. There's only one exception, the beautiful vision, sleeping in my arms. His father fights his own battles because God blessed him with His grace, touching his son.

   I enter the tent and carefully place him on the bed set, made of piled grass and wolf furs. His eyes flutter open just for a second, reveling their deep pink color. He's calm again.

   "Thank you for not killing us all," I mutter in relief.

   The corners of his lips curl into a faint smile, showing that he has heard me.

   "I see what is hidden," he whispers.

___________________________________

Photo by Ali Abdel Radi from Pexels

Photo by Andrey Kiselev from Dreamstime

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 2!

Thank you for reading and supporting my new story! ❤❤❤

Do you think Dai Stial's powers are real and he'll use them for revenge?

Any theories about what he meant with his words?

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny