56. Out of Breath (Sai)

"Are you insane?" I hiss. "What do you mean by the monster liking you? It's a beast of an unknown species. You don't know enough to be able to determine if it's friendly or hostile. Where are Tar and Mos? Get back to the rescue ropes, all three of you! Immediately!... Dey? Dey!"

   "Stop yelling, Moon Ray," he whispers. "I told you to be quiet, didn't I?"

   "And how exactly do you suggest I keep quiet when I know what you're up to?" I retort. I can't even decide weather to be angry or frightened. "My heart will jump out of my chest. You're so stubborn. I want you to tell me everything that's going on there right now. Don't stop talking!"

   "Alright, Sai," Dey laughs softly. "Just calm down. The animal is enormous, bigger than a death bat, actually, much bigger than a fiery butterfly. It is scaly, like a lizard, but very smooth, all colored in shades of green and blue. Seaweed grow on every scale, swaying in the water currents. Small fish, shrimp and other aquatic creatures are hiding among the blade-like leaves. The beast moves really slow. Every time you raise your voice, its body shudders, but its movements do not quicken. I think, loud noises are bothering it, even if they're only in our heads. It can hear us. I am not sure whether it is male, female or neither."

   "Why is it moving?" I ask impatiently. "Where is it going?"

   "Approaching me," my prince informs me cheerfully, only to shock me even more. "I guess, my new friend is coming closer to say 'Hello'. I can clearly distinguish its muzzle now. It is long, resembling a snake's one. The eyes are small, compared to the head size, perhaps, because the animal does not really use them here in the darkness. There are many light-emitting life forms around, but it still lives in the twilight, never seeing the sun."

   "How do you know that it's friendly?" I hurry with the next question.

   "I can feel it," Dey says. "This might sound strange, but the closer it gets, the more relaxed I am, as if it brings tranquility with it. This creature has the ability to make you feel safe... Wow! Oh, my God!"

   "What? What!? Dey, what is happening?" I shriek. 

   My body is shaking from the cold, but also with worry. I forgot to create an air bubble for myself, hurrying to plunge underwater. I am running out of of breath, but instantly rule out the idea to raise my head above the surface. 

   I gather all my strength and urge him, "Talk to me, my love. Don't stop!"

   "I am touching it, Sai," Dey whispers excitedly. "The monster is letting me pet it. In fact, it seems eager to rub its snout against my palm. The skin is a little gross, very slippery and covered in those mushy sea anemones, but the big buddy is still kind of cute."

   "If you see it open its mouth, be sure to get out of there as fast as you can,"  I grumble. "For God's sake!" I've never seen anyone as reckless as Dey. His bravery will surely be the end of me someday.

   "Eeee! It also allows Tar and Mos to touch it. Magnificent beast! Hahaha! Guess who is trying to climb on it's back," Dey giggles. "It is just a meek giant and doesn't mind it at all."

   I only manage to smile faintly at Mostal's stunts as I am more and more disoriented with each passing second.  Red circles start playing in front of my eyes. I feel I will lose consciousness at any time now, if I don't take a breath right away. Nevertheless, I still hesitate. I don't want to lose the connection to Dey in such a tense and crucial moment. On the other hand, I will be of no use if I black out. I have no choice, but to raise quickly my head above the water and inhale deeply, ready to dive back.  Arx and Uyani are gazing at me expectantly.

   "All fine. They are alright. Found diamonds... and the beast... Seems placid... They are petting it," I barely choke out, before diving back.

   "Were you out of the water, Sai?" my prince immediately asks.

   "I was completely out of breath," I explain guiltily. "Almost fainted."

   "Aww, my sweet Moon," Dey laughs. "Get out already. I don't want you to catch a cold and suffocate. The animal is much calmer when it doesn't sense your presence. You are disturbing its peace. You two are like facing poles, pushing each other away. This is exactly the beast we were looking for. There is no doubt that it possesses the same power as the keepers and the opposite one of the butterflies. It is eager to follow me, but trying to avoid you. We found what we were searching for, Sai."

   "Yes, that sounds logical," I agree. "Who knows what it would have done to keep me away if I had joined you. That might have hurt our child. We should thank Arxia for warning us."

   "They are a great prophet, also a hot one according to Tar," Dey chuckles. "Listen, Moon Ray, you no longer need to soak in the ice-cold lake. Our air bubbles keep us warm, but you must be freezing. I am worried too. Get out. We're heading back. I'll be with you in no time."

   "Fine," I pout. "But if I don't see the ropes moving soon, I'm getting in again."

   "I promise," Dey says gently. "I just have no idea how to take Mostal down from their new water horse. Your cousin is as nutty as a fruitcake, a true walking disaster."

   "A swimming disaster," I snort.

   "Right," Dey laughs. "Now, out!"

   I reluctantly crawl out of the water and sprawl on the wooden platform, gasping for air. The heavy heat hits my cold body, leaving me weak and exhausted. Arx graciously spreads a parasol over my head to save me from the merciless sun.

   "That was silly," they shake their head. "You whine all the time that your spouse is reckless, but you're no better."

   "What did Dey say?" Uyani asks impatiently, ignoring Arx's reproachful glare.

   "H-he is convinced that they f-found the animal we n-needed," I stutter while struggling to sit up and stop shaking.

   "Your Highness," a soldier screams. "The ropes!"

   We all gaze at the barely twitching ropes. My heart is pounding wildly, but I wait to see three distinctive tugs before raising my hand and commanding "Pull!"

   The soldiers immediately trigger the reels. We see Dey, Tar and Mos popping out on the surface in few minutes, grinning from ear to ear.

   "That was awesome! Oh, my Goood! This is what I call an adventure," Mos yells while the three of them are untying themselves and climbing up the ladder to the platform.

   I stop hearing the praise and excited chatter around me the moment Dey's strong arms engulf me in a tight embrace.

   "This is the first and last time I let you go anywhere without me," I mumble in the crook of his neck.

   "I promise," he smiles before capturing my lips.

_______________________________

Photo 1303634403 © michaklootwijk | istockphoto.com

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 56!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

First mission of the adventure team accomplished. 😁

Now they only have to figure out how to mine diamonds and bring the monster to the trap where they need it. Any suggestions? 🤔

Are you ready to finally visit Eleysan and attend a royal wedding? 😉

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny