61. The Prince Has Returned (Danail)

My lovely Moon found out the hard way that the North Tower was the tallest one in the entire palace complex. Five hundred steps is no joke, even on the way down. He tries not to pant too much and walks with zeal and determination, but his pleasantly flushed cheeks say it all.

   The only living quarters in this impressive structure consist of my vast bedchamber, which also has a huge fireplace and a dining area with a table for nine; a simple, but very comfortable bathroom, constantly supplied with fresh water by a rather ingeniously contrived elevator system, mounted on the outside of the thick wall, and a large closet, filled with various training weapons and hardly any clothes. This level is located at the top, just below the cone-shaped turret. It was repaired and made considerably wider than the rest of the tower for the specific purpose of accommodating me. A winding stone staircase takes up all the remaining space to the ground. There are only narrow landings next to each window so that the archers can take up positions in case of attack.

   I wanted to live together with Harda at the castle's highest possible point so badly that I whined to His Majesty, King Dorth, at every opportunity. My father, although as grumpy and harsh as usual, always tried to please me back then. He seldom refused to satisfy my childish whims. I was the prince after all, his heir and most valuable possession. It did not take much effort. He soon ordered for all the necessary expansions and alterations to be done. I actually thought he loved me and genuinely loved him back, but still was very careful to stay out of his sight if necessity did not require close communication. That was how we got our 'monster's nest'. My nannies came up with the name. Those girls really liked to make up fancy names for everything related to me. They all pouted for a whole week because of the exhausting daily climbing up and down in the beginning, but before you know it, the nest became everyone's favorite hiding place and playground.

   I loved my room so much that I could sit on the wide terrace and watch the sea all day. I think Harda still considers this place his den. Perhaps, he has long forgotten the dense forest where he was born and the ferocious beasts that were his family. This tower was our little kingdom. We had won it and ruled it with the dedication of true overlords with faithful Tar by our side. Hurried footsteps, a loud giggle, Harda's wing flapping and happy chirps and growls always sounded between the stonewalls... until the fairy tale was over. Nevertheless, I will always be grateful to have been blessed with the most wonderful early childhood.

   Tar takes a left turn. We follow him down a narrow, dark corridor, which leads us into a maze of passages, open bridges and covered walks, connecting the numerous buildings. There are no soft carpets on the tiled floor. No silk curtains adorn the windows. No glowing marble оr picturesque basins, teaming with colorful fish can be seen around. The beauty of my birthplace is of another kind. It is as harsh as Eleysan's kings, as timeless as the huge stones, fortifying its foundations, primal and hostile, but still breathtakingly majestic. God, I missed home every day and night, every minute and every second while I was gone. I am strong here. My feet are on solid ground. Nowhere can I be as true to myself as here.

   I secretly peek at Sai in nervous anticipation, afraid that he might not understand my home's uncultivated magnetism. He is used to a completely different environment where elegance and perfection in the tiniest detail are part of everyday life. I fear he might not like his new domain and perceive this ridged fortress as foreign and unwelcoming. To be honest, I am glad my beard has grown back and I am wearing the usual leather clothes, leaving barely any trace of the beauty treatments I had undergone to impress my spouse. It was nice, but not suitable for Eleysan. I need to be natural in my environment. I also happen to know my naughty prince likes me better this way. But I still wonder if he is happy about it all or disappointed.

   "I'm in love with this place," Sai smiles, having sensed my insistent gaze upon him. I see nothing else but admiration in his big, sparkling, blue eyes. He bites his lip and runs his fingertips over the smooth surface of a life-size, bronze statue as we pass. It depicts my fearsome grandfather wielding a huge sword. "Magnificent! Who is this scary warrior?" 

   "Ah, that's grandpa," I wink, relief washing over me. My prince is impressed. There is no doubt about it. "A looker, isn't he?"

   "Oh Lord!" he gasps. "I knew his face was familiar. King Dorth, but even more intimidating. Did you know him?"

   "No," I shake my head. "He died in battle before I was born, during the Mountaineers Rebellion. The chief of the Green Mountain tribe at that time tried to take over the capital. My grandfather, King Rathar, defended the throne with his life. His nick name was The Black Bear."

   "I want to learn everything about your ancestors," Sai says excitedly. "The history, the customs and the legends. You will show me every corner in this palace and tell me about every statue, picture and book. Now I understand how you always exude so much power and determination, even in the most desperate of times. You are solid, just like this castle. Dey, we are so different and yet so perfect for each other. We create balance. Nothing can break us down."

   "We are invincible," I grin and take his hand. "Ready?"

   He nods and we finally step on the platform where the royal families are already waiting. A sea of people has gathered in the square bellow us. There is complete silence. No one utters a sound. It is downright weird, but I find out why soon enough. All eyes are pinned on the lovely group of princesses, seated on soft, upholstered chairs amidst an abundance of flowers, silk and jewels, glinting in the sun. The girls are waving elaborately decorated fans, trying to fight the summer heat, fluttering their eyelashes at the astonished spectators. Eleysan has not seen a princess in ages. Our royal dynasty is well known for only having sons. Not that the queen would not be happy to have a daughter, but father's bloodline is way too strong. I suspect, however, that the main reason for the general bewilderment are the two prinxes who are standing nearby. Mostal is smirking at the crowd, purposefully brushing their long, silver hair over one shoulder first and then over the other, enjoying the reaction their elegant gesture evokes, while Arxia is hiding timidly behind them.

   "Mos should have become a theatrical performer," Uyani approaches. "Ugh, look at them. The audience is under their spell. Aren't they like a real peacock?"

   "Why does it seem to me that you too do not remain unaffected by their charm?" I chuckle.

   "Oh, please!" she only rolls her eyes.

   "It was about time," my father growls, raising his arms. His voice booms over his subjects, "God save Eleysan!"

   "God save the King!" the multitude echoes.

   "The Supreme Commanders are here," he shouts, pushing us lightly to stand in the middle of the podium. "My son, Prince Dai Danail has returned. He has brought The Chosen with him."

   Suddenly, the crowd erupts into wild cheers and the familiar swirls of rose petals and black feathers fill the air.

   "Bless us Prince Dai Stial," someone screams. "Let us hear the God's whisper."

   "Long live the young kings," another yells.

   "To the last breath!" everyone chants.

   "Quiet! Quiet!" King Dorth raises a hand again. "There will be a royal wedding soon, but before that..."

   "The Path of Kings," people start to clamor. 

   "Yes," the King's voice overpowers the uproar, forcing the people to fall silent again, "Let the challenge begin!"

_______________________________

Photo 69126331 © Andrey Kiselev | Dreamstime.com

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 61!

Thank you for reading and supporting ❤❤❤

Now that you are well acquainted with both Eleysan and The Desert Kingdom, which one would you chose to live in, if you had to?

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny