29. Hungry (Danail)

I enter the quiet, cool room that was pointed to be my bedroom. Everything inside is meant to make you relax and it is exactly what I need at this moment. 

   The tall walls, the floor and the ceiling are covered in marble as is everywhere in this fabulous palace. The rare, soothing pattern of the tiles looks like streaks of malachite, frozen lava, winding through the forest green space, around constellations of golden stars. 

   One of the walls is a waterfall. The crystal streams are rippling softly, sparkling in all shades of green, flowing down from the ceiling into a pool, full of purple and yellow water lilies. Carp fish in all colors are sweeping lazily among the big, round leaves.

   Another wall is made of glass and leads through a double, sliding door to a vast terrace, overlooking a luscious garden. The vines are weaving up from the ground to the second floor and form a drapery of leaves, fluttering in the wind. It is dark outside. Colorful paper lanterns, hanging from the curved roof are casting dim rays of light in the room.

   The large bedding with two bedside tables on both sides is situated in the middle of the room. The thick, soft mattress, full of merino wool, is placed on a wooden base, carved as if a pod of dolphins are swimming around it. Laying on it feels like floating in the clouds. The ivory silk sheets touch the skin as feathers. An enormous, crystal, candle chandelier is spreading warm light above it. 

   I stop at the door to take in the beauty of this heaven. How is it possible one's life to change so much in a blink of an eye? My clothes were covered in sand and my nostrils were feeling the burning air of the desert only few days ago. I lived for today, struggling to survive, never allowing myself to think of tomorrow as a certainty. I'm in a different world now, a world that is mine because I won its greatest treasure. He belongs to me, not because I wanted him, but because he wished to be mine. I need nothing more. My heart is still pounding. My father's voice is still booming in my ears but it doesn't matter. I got my prize.

   I quickly take off my boots and flop in the middle of a pile of pillows, bursting into loud, liberating laughter. I haven't felt so happy in years. King Dorth The First frowned and growled, but finally signed the treaty, ending the ten-year war. Nationwide celebrations are starting tomorrow both here and in Eleysan. The wedding will be in a month. The newlyweds will be two princes for the first time in the millennial history of our kingdoms. We did the impossible. 

   A knock on the door stops my laughing fit. I snort, "Yes, it's open," still unable to control my voice.

   Two giggling girls appear in the frame, carrying big trays of food and drink. Sai is walking few steps behind them.

   "Leave everything on the tables," he waves them to go in. They do as they are told and immediately scurry out of the room, glancing over their shoulders and giggling even louder.

   "Were you laughing?" Sai beams, sitting cross legged on the bed in front of me. "I loved it! You sounded happy."

   "I am, sweet Moon," I cup his scarlet cheek. "You will marry me. We can be together. It's the best thing that has ever happened to me."

   "It was scary," he pouts. "I'm sorry to say this, but your father fully deserves his nickname The Beast. Arxia still can't calm down. Mother had to give them her special tranquilizing potion. The child is sensitive. It was too much for the poor soul to handle."

   "I know," I kiss his forehead. "I'll apologize tomorrow. What about you? Are you all right, my beautiful?"

   "There's no need," Sai shakes his head. "It wasn't your fault. You were brave and amazing." He grabs my hands and grins, "I feel wonderful! Are you hungry? Let's have dinner. I ordered my favorite food."

   I peek at the trays. There are all kinds of pastry and fruit and many small bowls, full of sauces and jam. Sai starts pointing to one or the other and explaining enthusiastically. "These are dough rolls, filled with mushrooms and cheese. You dip them in the tomato paste. This here is a meat pie. Do you see the thin, crisp crust? It's so tasty! You can put some cream on it or some of the mashed potatoes with herbs."

   "Mhm," I nod, but to be honest, I'm paying no attention to what he's saying. I'm too fascinated by the movement of his pink lips and the way his tongue flicks over them from time to time.

   "Oh, these are my most favorite," he takes a plate of fluffy, round, butter cakes in the form of sea shells and a bowl of strawberry jam. "Try one with the jam and tell me what you think!"

   "Thank you!" I smirk. "I have the feeling that these will become my most favorite too."

   I dip my finger in the thick, red jam and carefully spread it on his lips. Sai's eyes widen in surprise. He instinctively tries to lick it, but I place my finger on his mouth, "Nooo, this is not for you. I thought you wanted me to try it."

   I take the plate from his hand and put it back on the table. His rose eyes are following every move I make, but his eyelids fall when I suck in his bottom lip and slide my tongue over it to taste the strawberry sweetness. I slowly lick it clean and do the same to the upper one. He gasps and grips the front of my shirt.

   "Mmm, it's delicious," I purr. "I am so hungry. I want more."

   "Then take everything you need," Sai breathes out.

_________________________________________

Photo ID 60131301 © Andrey Kiselev | Dreamstime.com

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 29!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

Do you like strawberry jam? 😀

A little warning. This dinner will not be an innocent one, so be ready. 🤭

I also have a surprise for you in the next chapter. Sai has a pet too. Can you guess what it is?

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny