28. Royal Honor (Danail)

"Traitor!" My father's scream shakes the roof. 

   He instantly jumps to his feet and takes out his sword, directing it at me. "Are you insane, boy? What do these desert worms have that you want so much to make you willing to give a whole kingdom in exchange? There are enough treasures and land in Eleysan, much more valuable than their pompous palaces and gardens."

   I pin my gaze at him and smirk. If he craves a showdown, he'll get the best one.

   "I want him," I point my finger to prince Dai Stial.

   "I knew it!" King Dorth growls grimly. The blade moves towards Sai and Arxia. "Insolent puppies, all wrapped in silk and jewelry and covered in make up! What game are you playing?" 

   "Be careful!" I step in front of him. "Put your weapon down! These are formal negotiations. I will not let you insult the royal family and even less to threaten them."

   "What have you done to my son?" he yells at them, paying no attention to my warning. "You had him drink something or poisoned his food."

   "Dorth, stop it! You are scaring the girls," mother tries to reach for his hand, but he ignores her. The princesses look petrified.

   Father turns his furious gaze to me and spits out, "Why would you need that feeble boy? You don't like men. You can't touch him, even if you wanted. Come to your senses! Choose a girl and let's go home!"

   "You don't know me," I answer defiantly. "You have no idea what I like. You never tried to ask me, not once in my life. I need Sai because I love him and because it is my right. I fought your war and this will be my prize. You can't stop me. Accept it or go to hell!"

   The King is taken aback. My words have probably touched something, hidden deep inside of him. He hesitates what to do. I reach out and grab Sai's hand, pressing my lips to his fingers. Startled shrieks and gasps fill the room. My father's eyes widen, but only for a second. He slowly lowers his sword and squints at us, "I, King Dorth The First of Eleysan, exercise my right to veto the decision of my Commander. Prince Dai Danail, I order you to choose one of the proposed princesses for a wife."

   Sai desperately squeezes my hand. This is the King's last trump card and he did not forget to use it. My prince knows that the Code demands to obey. I see the tears welling up in his beautiful eyes. He quickly blinks to chase them away.

   Prinx Arxia grabs my other hand and whispers, "Be strong! I admire your courage. No one could have gone so far. You did your best, but there's a point when we all have to accept our destiny. You will always be in our hearts."

   "I'm not done yet," I smile, stepping behind Sai. I grip the lapels of his robe and pull it open abruptly. Both he and Arx yelp in surprise. The small ruby buttons spill like droplets of blood, rattling on the black, marble floor.

   The golden moon medallion is shining on his chest.

   "Aaaaaaaaaarg," King Dorth screams, foaming at the mouth with rage, and hurls the sword towards the door. The blade digs into the wood to the middle, vibrating from the force. 

   "I have taken the strongest oath, as the Prince of Eleysan, with all the weight of the law," I announce. "I have given the Golden Moon of The God's Garden, the most honorable promise to marry this man. No one can undo it. The King has no power over it."

   My father's enormous body is shaking. He is torn between the desire to kill us all and the royal honor, deep-rooted in him for generations, which will be trampled underfoot, if he refuses to acknowledge the symbol.

   Suddenly, King Unufrail, who has been sitting silently the whole time, bursts into rapturous laughter. "Well, my mulish friend," he snorts, looking at the other king, "It seems the young puppies turned out to be cleverer than us."

   Father grunts and rushes to the door. He pulls out his sword and turns around, just before leaving, "I don't care how you do it, but be sure to have children. I'd rather raze the Portal to the ground with my bare hands and let the damn monsters burn this world to ashes, than to see the offspring of that cursed Prophets Clan with Eleysan's crown on their heads." He slams the door so hard that slivers of marble and wood fly around.

   "That would be challenging," Arxia quietly chuckles next to me.

_________________________________________

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 28!

Thank you for reading and supporting!

Did you like the negotiations? 😀

The treaty is sealed. A royal wedding is coming and a honeymoon. 🤭

But we have to meet The First, the leader of The Keepers tribe, before that. What do you think she will be like?

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny