10. The Border (Danail)

I'm woken up by the brightness of the sun and the lack of the soothing swaying of the ship. We have stopped. Harda is not next to me on the soft fur. I look around and see him standing on his hind legs, leaning on the open porthole. He's growling menacingly at something outside. His long tail is wagging nervously, showing that he's annoyed.

   I slowly get up, feeling every muscle of my body stiff and numb. The tension of the previous day is still not gone and nothing good is coming today. 

   "Easy, boy!" I whisper, unable to make my vocal cords work properly so early in the morning.

   Harda immediately dashes towards me and starts licking my hand. Ugh, that purple saliva is not something I want on me at this place, where taking a bath is the greatest luxury. I smile nevertheless. I missed him. 

   Maybe, we'll fly together someday, not on a wooden ship, but in the pure, blue sky, only the two of us, tasting freedom again. I frown at the word. The war is over, but I'll never be free. My life is a chain of duties. One ends and another comes. I've heard that the Desert King's daughters are the grates beauties on the continent, although, only few have seen them. He keeps them as the apple of his eye. They should be really lovely, if they resemble their brother even a little. I gasp at the sudden shrink of my heart. What is this sudden pain, as if I'm losing something important, something that I need, that I... long for?

   I shake my head to chase away the feeling and approach the porthole to see what Harda is growling at. The view makes my mouth fall agape.

   We are above the God's Eye oasis. It's a vast lake and a small valley next to it, both surrounded by high, sharp cliffs, stretching in a long chain that seems to divide the desert in two. They are so high, that we've never been able to see what's on the other side. We only knew that there's a narrow passage, hidden behind the enemy's main camp, which is so vigilantly guarded that even a mouse wouldn't be able to trespass unnoticed. 

   The Capital is beyond the rocks, but it was impossible for us to reach it. Mother has been there once, before the war. I could never believe the things she told me. It was scarcely credible for such place to exist in the desert. She described waterfalls, colorful birds as big as a horse, flying above a fairytale castle and enormous, winged serpents, used by people as transportation, exotic fruit and green lands. 'The dessert is only the frontier', she explained. 'There's a paradise, from God's eye all the way to the sea'. And yet, I never knew anything else but the searing desert.

   The diver is high enough to peek above the cliffs. There's no sand on the other side, only endless, ocher grassland. Trees and shrubs are scattered here and there. Outlines of a forest can be seen on the horizon. Everything is lit in the soft gleam of the rising sun. I see people, a lot of people, gathered at a distance. They are too far, but still I can distinguish their colorful clothes.

   Hundreds of vultures are perched all over the rocks. Harda keeps snorting resentfully every time one of them flaps its wings. The golden leg band, each of them has shows that they're tame. Their shining, black eyes are pinned on the ships, carefully following every movement. I understand more clearly than ever that this war would never end, if the events of the passed day had not happened. We would never be able to breach this border. I laugh out. They were always a step ahead of us and I see why. What is more natural than a flock of vultures in the desert? I got used to them, always flying above us. That is how a detachment was always there, waiting for us every time we began an assault, ready to die, but stop our advancement. They never attacked. We were the aggressor, but they didn't let us come closer than a day horse ride from their main camp.

   "Ready to disembark!" I hear a shout. "Everyone on the main deck!"

   I leave the cabin with Harda, limping on my heels.

   "Divers stay here," Tar approaches. "We'll travel to the Capital on horseback. It's two days ride. The King ordered that it's going to be only him, the Queen, you and the personal guard, me and twenty more men. He's still mad at me and didn't want me to come. I told him that he had to kill me to stop me."

   "Well, I assume he's not in the mood for murders today," I chuckle humorlessly.

   "No, he's not," Tar grumbles.

   I only nod, already stepping down the ladder. The small group is waiting under the anchored ships. King Unufrail and prince Dai Stial are at the head, sitting on two snow white horses. The breeze is waving Sai's long, silky hair. Our eyes meet and he softly smiles. I frown, jumping on my black stallion. There's no point in being polite and friendly anymore. We'll go, sign the treaty and part ways forever.

   I whistle sharply at Harda who's scratching the cliffs in an attempt to climb and get hold of a particularly insolent vulture which is trying to claw his muzzle. I smirk. He would've had some good time chasing them, if he wasn't wounded. I doubt that any of these birds can escape him when he spreads his four wings. Maybe, on the way back I'll let him have some fun.

   We head to an enormous, impressive structure, build directly in the cliffs. Sloping stone ramps lead to a huge colonnade entrance. A whole army can pass through it without crowding. I ride slowly with Harda, walking by my side, as tall as the horse. 

   I look only ahead, avoiding Sai's glances. He finally pouts and gives up. The strange pain in my chest appears one more time and I ignore it again. We go, sign and leave. And this will be over.

___________________________________

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 10!

Thank you for reading and supporting my new story! ❤❤❤

Are you ready to visit the fairytale castle and meet the ladies? 😍

Don't forget that there's also two days journey across the savannah. 😉

Do you think that Dey and Sai will manage to break the ice while travelling?

Every ten chapters there'll be a special update telling about some of the places and the people in the story, so next one will give you more details for ... 🤐 (surprise)

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny