13. Touching the Moon (Sai)

The sizzling fire casts warm glimmer on Dey's face and I can't stop marveling how handsome he is. He looks so young and, in a way, innocent, as absurd as it may sound, now that his shining hair is lifted in a bun and his lips are stretched in a smile. His long, curved lashes almost touch his cheekbones every time he blinks. I'm intoxicated by their movement. I'm bewitched by the way he bites his lip thinking of an answer, when someone asks a question. His long fingers are playing with a dessert rose, a gift from one of my sisters. I envy the delicate petals. They are more lucky then me.

   "What did you feed him when he was smaller than a kitten?" Lila chirps, clinging to Dey's forearm.

   He's biting his bottom lip again and I can barely suppress a gasp. My sisters are not so timid and begin to squeal and sigh dreamily.

   "Well, Harda liked eggs very much," Dey explains and the girls, who have surrounded him in a tight circle, sitting on fluffy cushions, scattered on a thick rug, start to clap and giggle in delight. "I also gave him milk and ..." he turns towards Lila and shows with his hands, "... grasshoppers which were that big."

   She screams, " Eww, gross!" and bursts into laughter, falling on her back over her sisters, who crack up in a noisy chorus, following her.

   Dey's face lights up in a mind blowing grin and he looks slyly at the girls, "Who wants to pet him?"

   They all start screaming and eagerly raising their hands.

   "Not allowed!" he sneers. "He'll eat you all for dinner."

   Harda stirs in his sleep few steps away and the screams and laughter become even louder.

   "Prince Sand Snake, you are mean," Lila yells, "but I'll still marry you."

   "It would be my pleasure, My Lady," he answers courtly, "but I am sure that you will find me too old in five years when you're of age."

   "I won't," she stubbornly pouts.

   "Stop bothering the prince and go play with your dolls," one of her older sisters scolds her, making her immediately tear up.

   "Hey, do you want us to make a deal?" Dey takes her hand. She enthusiastically nods her head, sniffling. "When you turn eighteen, I will come to your birthday celebration. We can discuss our marriage again then, if you still want it. Ok?"

   "Yes," she beams, plastering a bold kiss on his cheek. The other girls immediately start protesting loudly, but she grins from ear to ear, looking at them victoriously.

   "Girls!" Father calls them reproachfully. "Leave the prince in peace and pack your things. We'll be going in an hour."

   My sisters obey reluctantly, whining that it is too early, but nevertheless head towards the carts with the soldiers on their heels.

   I get up and walk to the lake. I want to take in the familiar view one more time before we leave. God knows when I would be able to come here again. The night air is fresh and scented of grass, smoke and algae. The big smile on my face, evoked by my sisters' infatuation, drops when I think about what is to come.

   The calm water is reflecting the enormous silver moon. It seems so close that I'm tempted to reach up and try to touch it. I've done it so many times as a child. I even once climbed this same tree I'm leaning on now, in an attempt to do it, only resulting in me falling in the lake. The sounds of the savannah resonate in me. It is full of life, breathing like one enormous being, awakened after the long day of sleep. I hear the roar of the lions, the cries of the nightjar and the deafening chirping of millions of crickets.