60. Foreign Customs (Sai)

Our kisses are always more and last longer than we planned. We are trying to keep them gentle and chaste. The royal families and a whole kingdom are expecting us. We can not afford to get carried away, and yet only the sharp knock on the door manages to snap us out of our happy daze.

   "Dey!" Tar's voice comes through heavy panting, as if he has run for hours. It is a little hesitant as well, but still firm enough to make us stop and turn our heads to the door. He knows it is not a good idea to interrupt us when we are alone. However, jeopardizing in any way the pompous ceremony, planned by my dear father-in-law, The Beast, would have much more unpleasant consequences. "I am sorry, but His Majesty is getting impatient. He has sent me to tell you that the ceremony is about to begin, and he will hold me personally responsible if you do not appear on time."

   "Ugh," I roll my eyes, reluctantly slipping my hand out of Dey's shirt. "Your dad is such a pain. Why can't he mind his own business and leave us alone?"

   "You can say that again," he laughs. "I'm glad he doesn't intimidate you, though. I can also assure you it's not his arrangements he is so concerned about. The thought that we might be doing something he considers indecent right here, under his own roof, probably pisses him off. If he could, he would have put us in the two most distant towers, as far apart as possible."

   "Too bad for him, because nothing can keep me away from you," I giggle. "Besides, that would be really stupid. He said he wanted grandchildren. How would that happen if we slept in different beds? He should be giving us more privacy and encouraging us instead of being a total cock-block."

   "Wow! Am I really hearing this come out of the innocent, refined prince Dai Stial's mouth? I have corrupted you, Moon Ray. And obviously we don't need The Beast's help to conceive a heir," my spouse winks. "Speaking of that, when do you think it would be best to break the news? We've made everyone swear to keep the secret, but it can't stay hidden for too long. I'm actually quite surprised no one has blown the lid off yet. Rumors usually spread like wildfire in August here."

   "I really don't know," I shrug. "Maybe, it's best to wait until after the wedding. King Dorth will surely breathe fire, no matter what he says now. I don't want any scenes on the happiest day of my life. Or we can wait until it starts to show. We have enough responsibilities already. I don't need all the extra fuss while trying to save the world."

   "Yes, right," Dey nods in agreement. "We'll discuss it again when we're officially married... Wait! What do you mean by saying 'starts to show'? Are you implying that..."

   "Sai! Dey! Stop pretending you didn't hear me," Tar raises his voice in annoyance. "What are you doing? Get out of there! It's enough that Lord Bardal wants my head. I don't need to get on King Dorth's wrong side either. The war failed to kill me and I have no intention of risking my life for no reason in peacetime."

   "Stop yelling bloody murder." Dey flings the door open, glaring at the frowning count. "We're doing nothing. Since when are you afraid of those grumpy bears? You didn't give a shit about their angry outbursts even when we were kids."

   "Did you tell Sai?" Tar squints at his best friend. Day's face instantly takes on a startled expression. The brawny commander shakes reproachfully his head, smirking at my prince. "Yeah, that's what I thought. When did you plan to tell him?"

   "Tell me what?" I step between them, casting puzzled glances from one to the other. "Has something happened?"

   "No," Dey answers, scratching his head nervously. He finally peeks at me apologetically and mumbles, "Sorry, I completely forgot about it. We have a custom here, a local custom... I mean, it's a foreign one for you... but you'll have to... umm... we'll have to do it. "

   "What is it?" I grip his forearm. "Dey, speak! I'm starting to worry."

   "There's nothing to worry about. It's just that every future king has to do this challenge before the wedding day, to prove he is worthy of his bride and the crown." Dey is fidgeting in his place. "it's a bit tiring and might not be all that enjoyable, but it's hardly going to be hard for you. There is a lot of walking involved, some running and climbing... kind of dangerous as well. Since there are two future kings this time, and you're no bride, I guess, it applies to both of us. We'll have to accomplish the task together."

   "This can't be worse than the Chasm of Courage," I smile in relief. "What could be more difficult than spending a day and a night on a bare rock, hanging over a bottomless abyss? But still, you should have told me sooner. What is the challenge?"

      "To walk the Path of Kings," Tar announces solemnly. "There is no time to explain now. Everything will be clear soon. You'll do great, but I won't, if we don't hurry up. Let's move. There are five hundred steps to go before we get out of this tower." 

   "Five hundred steps?" I screech. Now I see why Tar was panting so heavily. "Dey, couldn't you choose another room? How did you manage to climb them up and down every day when you were a child? Can't we fly back down on Harda's back again?"

   "You'll get used to it," he grins and pulls me by the hand towards the door.

_______________________________

Photo 255289175 © Jose Miguel Garcia Ortega | Dreamstime.com

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 60!

Thank you for reading and supporting ❤❤❤

What do you think the path of kings will be?

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny