7. Two Kings (Danail)

The camp is quiet. Minutes pass without a sound or a movement. All eyes are pinned on the platform and the enormous black ship above it. The tense anticipation keeps everyone alert.

   The heavy silence is suddenly broken by the scraping of metal and the rattling of chains. A hatch opens on the diver's hull. A golden ladder unfolds, stepping on the podium.

   "Welcome the king!" Lord Bardal screams. The sea of people sways and kneels except the Council and the royals.

   A low, horrific growl comes from the hatch, making the blood of the bravest freeze in their veins. A terrifying beast appears, slowly descending towards us. The warriors are silent and emotionless, but I can feel the fear in the air. They've all heard of it but, probably, none of them has seen it. The monster is loose. My father has never put it on a leash. It's pointless. I doubt there's a rope or chain, strong enough to tame this viscous creature. It listens only to the king. He has never restricted its violent nature.

   Six glowing, red eyes pin on me without blinking. Trickles of ink-colored drool are leaking from the huge, gaping mouth with four rows of razor-sharp teeth. The thick, coarse, black fur covers every inch of its bulky body except the four wings with shining, black feathers and the pointed ears.

   It steps on the wooden platform and the sound of the long claws of its six paws, scrabbling the wood, echoes over the silent crowd. The long tail is wagging behind it while it's approaching. The beast jumps down and sits in front of me, gazing expectantly. Its head reaches my chest.

   "Don't!" the queen hisses next to me. "You know it will make him mad."

   I only smirk and put my hand on the animal's neck, quietly whispering, "Harda, down boy!"

   The 'mountain death' bat happily squeaks, sprinkling drops of purple saliva around, and heavily drops on its back with its legs in the air, waiting for me to scratch its belly. I laugh out and oblige, making him release short content chirps. I hear Sai giggling at the sight.

   I still remember when the king received it as a gift from the mountain tribe. I was six. It was just few days old, the size of a newly born kitten. It used to sleep on my palm. We were inseparable until it got bigger than me. Death bats reach their full size within a year. We had the best time of our lives, flying above the castle with me clinging on its back, firmly gripping its long ears. Father decided that I was spoiling it and it needed to be trained. He took it from me. The monster, however, never forgot the friend and protector from the first days of its life.

   "Enough!" an angry voice booms. "Harda, here!"

   The bat jumps instantly and runs to the king who's standing in the middle of the platform, glaring at me. He's definitely fuming. Good! He uses Harda to scare people and control them. Not my warriors! They listen only to me. I hope this small demonstration will help them see that cruelty is not the only way.

   "Airya," the king nods to my mother. She follows the bat on the platform. I'm not surprised that he uses for her the same tone as for his pet.

   They stand on his both sides and he raises his hand, "God save Eleysan!"

   "God save The King!" the crowd answers.

   My father has not changed in the past five years. He still fully deserves his nickname The Beast. He dwarfs both the enormous animal and his wife, mounting at seven feet. His usual angry scowl is now even more prominent due to the liberties I took to interfere in the protocol and play with his scarecrow. I don't doubt he would punish me if I was still a child. He dares not do so now and this irritates him even more. The king has always expected everyone to be formal in his presence, but he, himself, has never preserved the dress code. His leather pants and vest and the heavy weapons make him look more like a soldier than a ruler. His long braided beard reaches his chest, contrasting his shaved head.

   "Prince Dai Stial," he growls, directing his gaze to my companion. "I was informed about the unfortunate mistake that my son's men have made. I apologize. They will all be punished severely. Your father is here to take you home. Please, leave at your will."

   A hatch opens in the hull of one of the white ships at the same moment. A ladder unrolls to the ground. All gazes turn towards it. An elegant man, dressed in long red robe, adorned in golden embroidery, slowly descends. Every movement he makes is full of grace and dignity. I can see the resemblance with Sai in all of his features, although he's much older. The glittering crystal crown on his head is a true piece of art. He's the total opposite of King Dorth, beauty against dread, calmness against anger, sophistication against raw power.

   The Dessert King reaches out to the prince, standing next to me, without sparing a glance at the assembled multitude or the royal podium, and says clearly, "Come, my son! Let's go home!"

    Sai steps towards his father. My heart flips. I don't want him to go, although, I'm not sure about the reason. 

   I expect him to leave but he stops and states in an enchanting, melodic voice, "I, Prince Dai Stial, son of King Unufrail of the endless desert and chosen by God to hear His Whisper, do not forgive the aggression against me. I require retribution according the Laws of War."

   Startled gasps can be heard from all directions. The prince is unfazed and continues with his head held high, directing his eyes at my father.

   "You, King Dorth, have three options according to the War Code - unconditional surrender, a peace treaty or pay with your heir's life. Choose!"

___________________________________

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 7!

Thank you for reading and supporting my new story! ❤❤❤

Did you expect what prince Sai did?

Do you think there is a plan behind it? 😉

Any theories about what will be the answer of the king?

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny