52. Dai Saah! (Sai)

It is already dark when we slowly land on the vast parade-ground, in the middle of the military camp, spread around The God's Eye lake. The area is lit by many small fires, burning in stone pits between the barracks where the soldiers sleep at night. The square is surrounded by tall torches in wrought iron stands, brightly illuminating some spots, but leaving others in complete darkness. We are still embracing each other, blinking while our eyes are getting accustomed to the bewildering play of light and shadow. 

   "I guess, it may sound absurd, but I was missing the dessert," Dey mumbles, struggling to take off the sheepskin coat. The heat is unbearable, even after sunset. The endless sand dunes radiate swelter that hits us like a tidal wave, causing us to drip sweat into our thick clothes, perfect for the cold air high in the sky, but completely unsuitable for this hell.

   "I can understand it," I smile, tugging at his sleeve to help him get rid of the suffocating layers of fur. "You've spent most of your conscious life here. It's something familiar, a place that, although dangerous and hostile, has become your home. "

   "Isn't it funny how people can get used to anything, even start liking it, if they suffer it long enough. I had almost turned into a snake," Dey chuckles. His eyes are sad for a second, but then brighten up again when he starts unfastening my coat's laces. "Let me help you take this off, or you'll melt down like ice in summer. Are you calm now?"

   "Yes, I am," I confirm. "Don't worry, my love. Just don't let anyone touch you until I learn to control my instincts better."

   "Good God!" Dey suddenly exclaims, staring into the darkness. He is looking around in utter confusion. "Do you see it, Moon Ray, or the thin air up there has completely messed up my mind? What is this?"

   I follow his gaze and gasp. My eyes have finally gotten used to the twilight enough to let me distinguish our surroundings. What looked like tufts of tall grass and piles of stones, are actually the backs of hundreds of people, kneeling before us in a deep bow with their foreheads touching the ground.

   We are standing in the middle of this sea of soldiers, speechless and startled. The First, Mostal and Arxia are approaching, maneuvering between our unexpected worshipers. They all fall to one knee in front of us, before we can come to our senses. Uyani shouts out loud and clear,

   "Dai Saah!" (God is here!)

   "Dai Saah!" the gathered multitude echoes. 

    All of a sudden, everyone starts throwing rose petals and black feathers into the air. They are swirling around us in multicolored whirlwinds, carried by the warm air currents. I am stunned. Where they have even found them in the desert is beyond me.

   "Uyani, what is happening," I barely whisper. "What does those words mean? They are the same I said on the diver, aren't they?"

   "Yes, Chosen," she nods. "Glory to you and The Follower! You made the legend come true. There is another." She starts repeating the familiar tale and the word's God spoke thousands of years ago,

   "Do not grieve for me. My home is elsewhere. My return is expected. A man shall be born one day who will hear my whisper. He will be your blessing. My Chosen shall be untouchable. Worship him because he will be more important than me. Keep me in your hearts until then. I am not the only one. There will be another. You shall have nothing to fear then. The world will be yours."

   Arxia raises their head then, quietly voicing the last lines of the prophecy,

  "The strongest shield shall be golden.

   The first shelter shall be the last one standing.

   The tears of a lover, hearing the screams of pain of his loved one,

   Shall protect the most precious gift of all."

   "What?" Dey asks incredulously. "Where is this 'another'? You don't mean it's me, do you? I am no God. I am just a warrior and a prince who was lucky enough to fall in love with Dai Stial and was granted the endless happiness of receiving his love in return."

   "No, Little Gem," Uyani shakes her head, smiling sweetly. "You are The Follower and the one to deliver and keep the most precious gift of all safe and unharmed."

   "You mean Sai," he nods. "Yes, I will protect him at all cost, also with my life, if I have to."

   "No," she shakes her head again. "Your love for each other has no limits and that was what made the miracle possible. The world had been expecting it for millennia, waiting for God's words to come true."

   "What are you talking about? I don't understand. Enough riddles! Time for the whole truth. Why is this ceremony? What do you mean, people?" I nearly scream, squeezing Dey's hand. 

   My heart is pounding wildly. I am not completely sure yet, but deep in my heart I know the answer. It fills me with joy, but also fear. Am I ready? Is Dey ready for this enormous responsibility? Is this even real? I sense a tear, rolling down my cheek and sniffle, mumbling, "Uyani, what did I say when we were up in the sky?"

   "You said, 'Don't you dare touch him. God is here! On your knees!'," she answers.

   "Uyani, spill the bins already." Dey grumbles, making the corners of my lips curve up. He has never been particularly enthusiastic about religious matters. "Where is this another God?"

   She reaches out, glancing at me for permission. I take a deep breath and nod in confirmation. The First carefully places her palm on Dey's belly and whispers, 

   "Here."

_______________________________

Photo 10898353 © Raisa Kanareva | Dreamstime.com

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 52!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

All mysteries seem to be finally reveled. But are they? 😉

Did you understand what The First meant? Did you expect it? 

How do you think Dey will react to the news? 😀

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny