46. Revelations (Danail)

We are settled on the spacious terrace, leaning on the fluffy cushions, scattered on the thick, wolf fur. Platters with delicious food are arranged on a small table in the middle. Steam is rising from the fragrant, herbal tea in the tall, ornate, porcelain cups, lined with gold and covered in drawings of beautiful flowers and colorful birds.

   Harda is sleeping with his head on Sai's lap while Tasla is sitting between me and The First, chewing on a big chunk of meat. No one would believe, seeing this idyllic scene, that the two animals were ready to kill each other, just a few minutes ago.

   "Do you remember, Little Gem?" Uyani sighs dreamily. "The story telling evenings. You, all the boys, the chiefs' sons and we, the nannies, were sitting on your bedroom balcony, high, at the top of the northern tower, sharing stories about wild adventures and fantastic creatures all night long, until the first rays of the rising sun put us to sleep. The servants always found us the next morning, sleeping, huddled together in a pile to keep warm in the cool, sea breeze."

   "Those were great times," I nod with a sad smile, "before the war ruined everything. Our heaven was shuttered to pieces. I am probably the only person in the world with the best and the worst childhood at the same time."

   "We were all terrified when your father sent you to the desert on your twelfth birthday," she continues. "We cried for weeks. Our parents came to take us home, away from the palace, away from you and the happiness we experienced together. We had the feeling that a magical dream had ended abruptly. We grew up overnight. No one expected you to survive. We were convinced we would never see you again."

   She quickly wipes away a tear, running down her cheek and squeezes my hand, "But here you are, no more a little boy. You are the High Protector, The Chosen's spouse and the one to save the world now."

   "I'll do my best," I whisper, trying to ignore the lump in my throat.

   "And I'll do my best to keep you safe," Sai mumbles, placing his hand on my knee.

   "Hey, cheer up," Uyani smiles. "Let's leave the past where it belongs, behind our backs. Everything happens for a reason. Every smile and tear brought us to this moment and I am sure that none of us would choose to be somewhere else. Am not I right?"

   "Yes," we answer firmly.

   "I thought a lot about this." The First focuses her enigmatic gaze on us. "I think it's time for you to learn everything. You need to understand why all this is happening and who you are."

   Sai's fingers tighten on my knee. He is barely breathing in anticipation.

   "Tell us," I urge her. "Do not waist time."

   "Patience, my lords. You seem exhausted, Little Gem. The Chosen looks no better. I am not even going to ask why," she chuckles. "Drink some tea. Have some food. The revelations might be surprising and disturbing. You need strength. Let's imagine that this is our story telling night and enjoy it. All will be uncovered. I promise." 

   The warm wind is playing with the leaves of the blue moon wisteria vine, making the pendulous, purple blossoms sway and bend over our heads, emitting their sweet aroma in the air. The serenity is intoxicating, but deceptive. This is the calm before the storm.

   We reach for food hesitantly at first, but greedily pounce on the treats after the first bite. The stress from the assembly and our wild love making have taken their toll on us. We need to recharge, to find new energy and strength to face the mysteries that have determined our lives.

   "You both know the legend," The First starts quietly. "Every child on this continent does. Do you remember the questions God asked every tribe?"

   "What is the most important?" I utter.

   "What is the least important?" Sai adds.

   "Correct," Uyani nods in confirmation. "And the last one was 'What one cannot live without?'"

   We are both gazing at her in expectation.

   "I do not know what each tribe said," she continues, "but I can tell you about us. The keepers' answer to the first question was 'life'. Every creature in this world has one main goal, to be alive. It determines all its actions. No love, no hate, no happiness or despair would matter, if we do not exist. People underestimate the miracle of life. Pain, loss and suffering can make them give up on this most precious gift, but many of them learn that the only path to salvation is to keep breathing."

   "Fight to the last breath," I voice the rallying call of the Great Assembly.

   "Yes," she smiles. "You have this belief deep-rooted in your soul. This is why you were the first to come up with a survival plan. Whatever the obstacle, no matter how impossible the victory seems, you will never give up."

   "The evacuation of the desert camp upon divers' arrival, the relocation of all people on the continent, the trap for the butterflies... Dey never wants to kill," Sai glances at me with adoration. "My prince always tries to save lives."

   "Yes, Sola." Uyani gently runs her fingers through my hair. "You are right about him. My little gem is a keeper."

   "What?" I exclaim incredulously. "How is this possible?"

   "Patience, Your Highness!" She sips from her tea ant points to Harda. "Look at this terrifying and yet beautiful beast, wild and free, more powerful than any human. He has surrendered to you, peacefully sleeping on your spouse's lap, ready to fight only to keep you both safe. Why do you think he doesn't want to fly away? Why the predatory jaguar sleeps in your bed and lets you scratch him behind the ears?"

   I only shake my head, "Because we are good to them and they know we care."

   "Yes," she chuckles. "Clever beasts. Friendship, family, tenderness, trust and loyalty are more valuable even for these monsters. So, we come to the second question about the least important thing. The keepers' answer was 'power'. Even the mightiest king, the most cruel warrior and the most stubborn person can change and give it up for love."

   "You are talking about my father," I gasp. "King Dorth, who doesn't believe in magic and despises everything he doesn't understand, married a keeper."

   "He did!" Uyani laughs. "The lovely Queen Airya is one of us. She fell in love with the bravest man she had ever seen and gave up her gift to sit on the throne next to him. Many things went wrong and he probably did not live up to all her expectations. But looking at you, prince Dey, I am sure she had never regretted her decision."

   "Power can never make you happy," Sai says. "It should be only a tool to achieve a greater goal."

   "Exactly," The First agrees. "And now, we come to God's last question. This answer is essential to understand everything that is happening and the important part each of you plays in it."

   "What one cannot live without?" Sai repeats.

   "What is it?" I am too impatient to hear it.

  "I thought you have already guessed." The First keeps her eyes on my face for a while and then moves her gaze to Sai. "The answer is 'balance'."

___________________________________

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 46!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

Not everything is explained yet, but more is coming in the next chapter. 😉

Time to check your theories.

Did you expect that Dey is a keeper? 😀

What did The First mean, saying that balance will explain the two princes' part in the events?

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny