26. The Prophecy (Danail)

The enormous hall is silent. The shining, black and gold marble reflects the flames of the burning torches, arranged in a circle around us, in ornamented, wrought iron stands. The monstrous colonnades on both sides make us feel small and intimidated. The tension is tangible.

   A thick carpet, made of wolf fur, is placed in the middle of the room. Red, silk cushions are scattered on it. Besides them, the hall is completely empty. The  King and The Queen of The Desert Kingdom are sitting cross-legged in front of us. Their colorful attires are in accordance with the importance of the occasion. Both are wearing their crystal crowns. The King's face is emotionless, but the Queen's eyes are full of tears. Their daughters are seated behind them, all showing traces of distress. It seems everyone is informed of my intentions, judging by the secret glances they cast at me. 

   The only member of the royal family, still standing up, is prince Dai Stial, waiting for us to take our places. I've never seen him so handsome and formal. His hair is styled in many cornrow braids and lifted in a high bun. He is in white clothes from head to toe. Only a row of rubies are sparkling on the hem of his robe which reaches to the ground. It is almost unbelievable that this is the same sweet boy who moaned in my arms just an hour ago. The only evidence of our encounter in the bathroom is his flushed cheeks and swollen lips.

   Mother folds her fine, green dress with golden embroidery and gracefully settles on a cushion. The crown jewels of Eleysan make her look as if she has just come out of a fairy tail. The magnificent tiara, the chandelier earrings and the impressive necklace, all adorned with big emeralds, surrounded by smaller diamonds, are twinkling like stars in the twilight. Her posture is proud and full of dignity, but her face is warm and compassionate. She reaches and gently squeezes Queen Salia's hand. The other woman nods lightly and a faint smile brightens her sad face, only for a second. 

   Father, true to his nature, is muttering under his nose about savages who have never heard of chairs, but amid the clutter of weapons and irritated grunts, finally flops on the carpet. Nothing in his appearance, besides his arrogance, shows that he's a king, and yet, his demeanor leaves no doubt about it.

   "Let's begin and get it done," he growls. "Dey, sit down!"

   "The Commander must remain standing," Sai calmly says. "He is the one to choose."

   Father purses his lips, glaring daggers, but decides to remain silent. I and Sai take our places at the two opposite sides, facing each other, so that everyone can see us.

   "I, prince Dai Stial, son of King Unufrail of The Endless Desert and heir of The Prophets Clan, am assigned to conclude a peace treaty with Eleysan. I represent the winning party," he begins solemnly.

   "Winners?" King Dorth immediately grumbles. "Claiming compensation for a little walk in the desert is no victory. Don't make me laugh, boy! If your exquisite ass had been in one battle at least, then you can talk to me about winners and losers."

   "And in how many battles exactly have you been, Your Majesty?" Sai asks, never changing his tone. "Where were you when your twelve-year-old son killed an enemy for the first time to save his own life?"

   "This is The Code," father spits through gritted teeth. "Kings rule, sons fight."

   "Exactly," the prince retorts. "Let me remind you what else it says. 'None of the rivals shall put their hands on possessions of God that are within the territory of their opponent. If they do so, they owe retribution as the other party is considered the winner.' This is why we are here. Your warriors broke The Code. You lost! Now your Commander has to choose an option and sign." 

   He turns to the huge, double arch door and shouts, "Let Prinx Arxia in!"

   The wings slowly open. An enchanting person appears at the door frame, dressed in bright red, hooded, taffeta robe. Their face is covered with make up in red, yellow, violet and black, but it can't hide the resemblance with Sai. I would assume that they were another of King Unufrail's children, if all twenty six of them weren't already here. The presence of the prinx immediately becomes palpable, as if some invisible force has filled the air with mystery. They approach Sai and bring their forehead to his, almost touching him. 

   My prince warmly smiles and turns to me, "This is my cousin, Prinx Arxia, the child of my father's younger brother. They can tell us the Prophecy."

   My heart shrinks. This means that my father murdered theirs. I hope King Dorth won't succumb to his bloodthirsty nature again. Whatever happens, I would never let him hurt this beautiful person or any of the others present.

   "You can call me Arx," the prinx smiles to me and adds, turning to Sai. "I feel something different. Your prince is not what I expected. He has the spark in him. He'll surprise us all. I can't say what it means, but he is the most special person I've ever met."

   "Cut the crap!" father interrupts them. "Why do we need to hear it again? We are here to sign a treaty, not to soothsay."

   "Because The Commander has the right to know, before he makes the choice," Arx answers, unfazed by the king's rudeness.

   "I won't allow it," King Dorth tries to stand up, gripping the handle of his sword. "This is a scam!"

   The anger makes my blood boil. He might be my father, but I am fed up with all his stunts. I'm ready to show him what I've learned in the desert, thanks to him. He might finally feel the snake bite first hand.

   "Everyone calm down," Prince Dai Stial raises a hand. "Be careful Your Majesty! Your good friend, Lord Bardal has probably informed you that I can make you behave decently, if you can't control yourself."

   "Witcher," the king hisses spitefully, but sits back in his place.

   "You can speak, my dear," Sai encourages the prinx who looks a little bit startled.

   "Please, Arx," I nod. "Do me the honor to hear the words of your father."

   Prinx Arxia looks at me sadly and closes their eyes. The words start to pour out between their purple lips and each one makes the hairs on my skin prickle. Their sweet, melodic voice fills the space with mysticism, love, sadness, fear and hope, all at once.

When God whispers the name of a king's son,

When The Chosen finds his Follower,

The sky will burst into flames and the world may end.

The only savior to stop the doom will be the dark haired prince.

The only hope will come when his body is torn into pieces.

If the savior loves The Chosen,

If he gives himself to him,

The hope will live.

If he loves another, he shall escape his destiny,

And the hope will die.

The strongest shield shall be golden.

The first shelter shall be the last one standing.

The tears of a lover, hearing the screams of pain of his loved one,

Shall protect the most precious gift of all.

___________________________________

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 26!

Thank you for reading and supporting! 

Here is the prophecy. 😀

The attempts at interpretation can begin now. I'm thrilled to learn what you think it might mean. 🤭

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny