53. Mother Hen (Sai)

"What?... No!... Absolutely not!... Fuck!.... No, no, no..." Dey groans and keeps pacing from one corner of the room to the other. "Did she really mean that I was... Nooo!... What the hell?"

   "Dey, wait!" I try to grab him by the sleeve as he walks past me, but he deftly slips out of my grip and picks up the jug of water from the table.

   "I'm so thirsty." He lifts it to his mouth and guzzles half of its content at once, then frowns, "Send for some wine. This won't do."

   "You can't drink," I mutter.

   "Why not?" Dey squints at me daringly. "Is there any reason why I can't have a glass of wine?"

   "You know why," I answer hesitantly. "Because you are pr..."

   "You are all out of your minds," he growls. "Those prophecies and legends and... and... bullshit have finally driven everyone nuts. I refuse to believe until I see it with my own eyes."

   "I can't wait for King Dorth to hear this," I snort, desperately trying to suppress my laughter. I know my spouse is in distress. It's a shocking news. I can't deny that the same goes for me. But his startled, incredulous expression is way too cute and hilarious. "He threatened us, remember? Your father said he didn't care how we did it, but to make sure we had heirs. So, he will certainly be overjoyed to become a grandpa."

   "Pfft... He'll no doubt hold a banquet in our honor... while sharpening his sword... One thing I can guarantee you," Dey pins his gaze into my eyes. "You are never coming close to my ass again. Flutter your wings somewhere else, you little, pink-eyed, deceptive butterfly. And where for heaven's sake is this child going to come out from?"

   We stare at each other for few seconds and both burst into rapturous laughter.

   "I am sorry," I barely speak, still unable to stop cackling. "I did not do it on purpose. I had no idea it was possible at all. I've never heard of a pregnant man. You are probably the first one in the history of mankind."

   "You don't say! lucky me!" Dey flops on the bedding next to me and leans closer to my ear. "Are we completely certain it's true, Moon Ray? Uyani can be strange and surely has odd ideas sometimes. I mean, I don't feel anything." He takes my hand and places it on his stomach. "See? There is absolutely nothing different than before. This is just not possible. I don't have... you know... whatever a woman has... Ugh... Shit!"

   He jumps up and starts pacing again.

   "I felt it," I mumble.

   "What?" He stops abruptly and crouches in front of me, grabbing my hands. "What did you feel?"

   It is difficult to explain. I can't describe exactly what is happening inside of me, but something blossomed like a flower in my chest when I pressed my palm to his belly. I felt warm, happy, complete and filled with awe. 

   "I feel a connection," I try to express this amazing sensation in words. "It's like a little speck of light which is ours, a part of our souls. Dey, it's me and you together, the best of us both, focused in that little flickering spark."

   "This sounds so beautiful, Moon Ray," he smiles and cups my cheeks. "I believe now. I have never doubted a single word you've ever said. Do you think the child will have pink eyes, or maybe, they will be blue as the sky?"

   "No," I shake my head. "I imagine our baby with raven hair, long, curved eyelashes and warm, brown irises, just like yours."

   "Appearance does not matter," Dey says. "I swear our child will be the happiest one in the world. I'll make sure of that. No war, no monsters, no fear will ever make those eyes shed a tear."

   "Babies cry, Dey, a lot," I giggle, "even if they are happy." 

   "They do many other things too," Dey winks. "And since I am going to carry it for nine months, you will be the one to wipe..."

   A sharp knock interrupts us. Tar's grinning face appears in the gap of the half-open door, "Heyy, congratulations, my lords! Who would have thought that my best friend and commander, The Sand Snake would become a mo... "

   "Shut up!" Dey glares at him.

   "Sorry," Tar grins wider. "I mean, a father. And I'm the proud uncle, ya know!"

   "Oh, you're actually right on time," Dey waves him to enter. "I just don't understand how you managed to detach yourself from Arxia's arm without fainting. We were just discussing who will be in charge of changing the diapers. You came to volunteer, I guess."

   "Ugh... I... Yeah... Of course... I mean," Tar's face visibly loses color.

   "Calm down," Dey sneers. "I'm just joking. We know you'd rather fight a wild death bat with your bare hands than come close to an infant. So, is everything ready for tomorrow?"

   "Yes, all done," Tar confirms, exhaling loudly in relief. "The nets are prepared. We've built a wooden platform by the lake and a spring retractable reel mechanism for the safety ropes. Each is long enough to reach the entrance of the underwater cave, but we will go in without them. There is no point to be tied up inside. The sharp rocks will cut the ropes anyway, and they will only slow us down. We'll need them just in case something goes wrong. It will be enough to get back to the exit and the soldiers will pull us up in seconds."

   "Good job!" Dey nods. "How is Arx doing?"

   "They are deeply disturbed," the count sighs. "I don't want to worry my precious flower more, but there's no way to persuade them not to come to the lake with us."

   "Arxia is stronger than you think and might be very useful," I smile soothingly. "They will sense the danger and warn us before it's too late. I am very grateful for your concern and love for my cousin, count Tarsarian."

   Tar's cheeks flush in bright red. The muscular warrior quickly bids us good night and leaves the room.

   "Dey, would you consider not diving," I ask my prince, although, I know it's a lost cause.

   "Out of the question," he immediately answers. "And don't even think about becoming a broody hen."

_______________________________

Photo 7377086 © Raisa Kanareva | Dreamstime.com

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 53!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

It's officially confirmed. Sai and Dey will become fathers. 😀

How do you think King Dorth will react to the news?

And the more urgent issue, what will they encounter at the bottom of God's Eye lake? 🤔

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny