51. High in The Clouds (Sai)

"Good heavens! God help me!" Arxia shrieks, after peeking over the railing. Their beautiful face instantly becomes as white as a sheet and they cling to Tar's arm, fanning themselves with a hand.

   We are high in the clouds. They surround us like a dense flock of puffy, white sheep, slowly retreating to make way for the advancing, enormous sailboat. 

   Our group of five is standing at the bow of the ship, on one of the Desert King's sky diver's top deck. The sails are flapping above our heads. The cold wind is waving our hair. One hundred tame, reconnaissance vultures are accompanying the vessel, flying below us in three neat rows on either side of the keel. The big air diamond is mounted like a crown on the head of the vulture figurehead on the forepeak. It is reflecting the sun rays, refracting them into radiant waves of cobalt and cerulean, occasionally torn by vivid eruptions of golden sparks.

   The sun is bright, but it is cold up here. We are all wearing thick, hooded, shearling coats, richly decorated with fluffy wolf fur, but I still shiver with each stronger gust of wind that makes even the durable, ironwood masts creak. 

   I have always loved flying on the divers since early childhood. Father often took me with him on his tours around the kingdom to my greatest joy and to my mother's utter horror, although, she knew very well that I couldn't actually fall. This is one of the most elevating sensations a person can experience. The sky is a limit most people can't reach, but for those who are given the opportunity, it brings freedom and confidence that no goal is unattainable.

   It doesn't apply to poor prinx Arxia who is terribly afraid of heights and feels nothing but uneasiness. I love them and don't want to laugh, but dear Mostal is not as considerate as I am. They are cackling uncontrollably, holding their stomach.

   "How very entertaining," Arx pouts and buries their wrinkled, button nose in Tar's chest.

   The muscular warrior immediately glares at my silver-haired, grinning cousin and grumbles, "I'll be very grateful if you stop laughing, Your Highness."

   "Ugh, how boring," Mos huffs in annoyance. "Why is everyone in love with someone? What's wrong with you people? You're as exciting as an old hat. We could arrange a sword training session for example, or throw meat at the birdies. It's hilarious when they catch it in their beaks, but more is coming and the poor bastards just don't know how to grab the new chunk without dropping the one they already have."

   "How old are you?" Arxia squeaks from within Tar's tight embrace. "Five?"

   "In any case older than you, my lovely scaredy-cat," Mos retorts. "I assure you that I could already fight a grown up panther when I was five and..."

   "Children, behave!" Uyani giggles. "Is this the Adventure Team everyone admires, or a nursery school?"

   "Clear the de-e-ecks!" The skipper yells. "We're starting the desce-e-ent!"

   A nimble sailor, tied with safety ropes around his waist, quickly climbs up the ship's beak and covers the top of the diamond with a specially crafted wooden lid, resembling a helmet. The erupting, glimmering particles disappear. It is obvious that the man is struggling to contain the stone's powerful radiation. There is a sudden quake. The plank floor shakes under our feet. It seems we are frozen in the air for a brief moment. A new, sinking-stomach sensation follows right after. It's like falling into a pit.

   "Oh, God! I hate this," Arxia whines, getting even paler. "I feel sick."

   "It's ok, darling. We're going inside." Tar instantly picks them up and heads to the open hatch.

    Mos keeps sniggering quietly, determinedly striding in the opposite direction. "Throw me a rope," they shout to the sailor on the beak. "I'll help you hold the lid."