11. Twenty Five Princesses (Sai)

We have been riding in a light trot for ten minutes now and nobody has uttered a word. Prince Dai Danail is looking only ahead, without sparing a single glance in my direction. I can't say I like it. The prominent scowl on his face is replaced by a faint smile from time to time, only when he pets the head of the unimaginable beast, walking next to him. I wouldn't dare even approach the animal, let alone touch its pitch black muzzle with razor sharp teeth, dripping saliva everywhere. They seem to love each other, though.

   Dey probably thinks I want him dead. I pout. He is right to be angry with me. I was the trigger of what his father did. It is now useless to try and explain to him that I would never let him be harmed. I would've stopped the flying sword, if the monster hadn't jumped. 

   What worries me more is that he could've easily avoided it, but he didn't. I've seen the way he moves, the flexibility of his muscles and his strength. He looks young and slender but is tough, resilient and experienced. He just didn't want to move for some reason. His wide eyes were gazing at the approaching blade with no desire to stop it. My heart shrank when he looked at me as if saying goodbye and accepting death without a fight. Stupid war! It took so much from him. His father destroyed what was left.

   I peek at him secretly. He is nothing even close to what I have expected. He tries to hide his true self behind black clothes, menacing glares and stubble, but I saw through all of this right away. The warmth in his golden brown eyes, those beautiful, plump lips, the curved lashes and the devastating smile, which is rarer than snow in summer, can't be hidden. He's the most handsome man I've ever seen. His kindness can't be overshadowed by heavy weapons and constant frowning. He was the only one, ready to take the risk and break the taboo, but to keep me from falling on the burning sand. He didn't hesitate for a single moment to give orders that would make the king mad but would save the lives of his men. Even the ferocious beast is ready to die for him. I already greatly admire the prince. I don't want him to be so sad.

   "Solaaaa," a piercing scream interrupts my thoughts, followed by loud giggles. 

   We have reached the colorful crowd, consisting of my crazy, naughty sisters and their ladies in waiting who are no better than them. This is not a group of girls, but rather a natural disaster. A small squad of about thirty guards is accompanying them for protection. It's not clear who has to be protected, though, since I definitely see fear in the eyes of the poor soldiers who are standing at an honorable distance.

   "My sweethearts!" Father coos and jumps from his horse, immediately engulfed by silk and perfume, trying to hug as many girls as he can at once.

   "Aren't you going to introduce us to Prince Sand Snake, Sola?" the youngest of my sisters slyly grins, grabbing the reins of my horse. She's the most cunning of them all, despite the fact that she's only thirteen.

   "Lila! Our guest's name is Prince Dai Danail and we are not going to use that nickname," I scold her, only evoking loud cackle. 

   "Why would Sola introduce you to the handsome prince?" the second youngest instantly pulls Lila's braid. "You are not even going to be considered when he chooses a bride."

   "As if you would!" Lila immediately sticks her tongue out to her sister. "You're only a year older than me and also ugly."

   "Witch! You're uglier!" the offended Sila yells back.

   "You're both beautiful, but terribly ill mannered," father grumbles, standing between them, before they've managed to start a fight. "No one under eighteen will be considered, so it's pointless to argue."

   "Why not? It's not fair! Why always the older ones get the best things," the other three of my underage sisters start to shout, gathering around my father.

   "Because you're five little monkeys," my eldest sister approaches, smiling lovingly. Dai Silis, named 'A Gift from God' as the first born, is a staggering beauty in her late thirties, a copy of my mother and already married with children of her own. She sends me an air kiss and turns to the noisy girls again, "Besides, you were not going to be so eager if he didn't turn out to be so handsome, were you?"

   "But he is," Dila, who turned eighteen a month ago, approaches, sneering at the five pouting, younger girls, "and he might choose me."

   "Don't be so happy," Lila stomps her foot. "Did you see the monster he has brought with him? If all the rumors about how ruthless he is are true, he might order it to eat his wife, if he's not pleased with her."

   "He'll be very pleased with me," Dila states, full of confidence, shamelessly showing off her breasts to the stunned Dey. His face is bright red and so startled that I almost burst into laughter.

   A low growl comes from Harda who was calmly sitting next to his master till this moment. He suddenly jumps and dashes through the grass towards the cheerful group. Piercing screams fill the air while the soldiers throw themselves in front of the women to cut the animal's way. 

   The bat stops few steps away from them, shoving his head in a shrub and triumphantly fishing out a rabbit which is still squirming and kicking is his fearful, purple maw, but not for long.

   I hear a snort behind me, followed by a loud, rapturous laughter. I turn around and see Dey who's laughing his head off, looking at the girls, gathered in the middle of the circle of soldiers like a flock of sheep, guarded by the faithful shepherd dogs. Harda is happily chewing his pray nearby, paying no attention to them.

___________________________________

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 11!

Thank you for reading and supporting the story! ❤❤❤

I know that there are a lot of new names, but don't worry, you don't have to remember them. 😂

What are your first impressions of the princesses? 😍

Do you think Dey will have difficulties to choose with so many girls, already eager to marry him? 😉

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny