12. The First Shelter (Sai)

I can't take it anymore after three hours of horse ride, without a single glance from Dey in my direction. I wouldn't say that the atmosphere is cheerful. The two kings are careful to be as far from each other as possible, frowning the entire time. The girls are not so keen to get close to their Prince Sand Snake anymore. The younger ones are traveling in open carriages at the end of the caravan. Those on horses are riding next to them, at an honorable distance from the huge, black bat. 

   Noon is approaching. The sun is at its zenith. The heat is getting unbearable. The horses are tired and we are all sweaty and thirsty. Our eyes are already hurting from the bright shades of orange and yellow, radiating from the endless sea of dry grass. Refreshing green spots of trees rarely change the view only here and there. We hear the distant roar of lions, but even they stay away from the open space, hiding somewhere in the shrubs.

   We are getting close to The First Shelter, a mansion near a small lake with a large village, scattered around it. The place is inhabited by the Golden Hunters tribe, named by the dominant color of the landscape and the golden jewelry they always wear. This is where we will stop for a rest and wait for the hottest part of the day to pass. We'll resume our journey at night. It's impossible to cross the grass plain under the scorching sun.

   "Tame your monster, Your Highness," my father moves closer to Dey. "The savannah is ruled by Queen Jendayi. Her name means 'grateful and thankful', but we should show no disrespect or pose any threat. She's my vassal and the kindest woman I know, but her warriors will slit our throats without blinking an eye, if we threaten her safety."

   "He will be calm," Dey nods. 

   The moment we see the impressive group of tall, ebony skinned warriors and women in pretty, colorful silk attires, waiting for us, my sisters start to squeal excitedly, waving to the stunning lady at the head. She is one of the most beautiful women I know and like a second mother to all of us. Queen Jendayi greets us with a big, devastating smile and opens her arms widely for the younger girls, running towards her.

   "My lovely flowers! I was missing you so much," she coos, kissing their cheeks. 

   When I finally manage to reach her, struggling through the clouds of silk, we bring our foreheads close, a hair's breadth away. This is how my loved ones greet me, avoiding the touch.

   "Welcome, my prince. I'm so happy you finally found the time to visit an old woman," she winks.

   "An old woman?" I giggle. "I would marry you right away, if you didn't already have five husbands."

   "Oh, you little flirt," she laughs. "I still remember when you reached no higher than my knee."

   "I was in love with you even then," I grin. I did have a crush on her when I was sixteen.

   "Jendayi! Stunning as always!" my father embraces her warmly.

   "You're not bad yourself, Unufrail," she chuckles. "I will really be happier if you and the kids start visiting more often now that the war is over. Where's your sweet queen Salia? I crave to see my friend."

   "I just couldn't put her through two days of ride in this heat. You know how fragile she is," he answers lovingly.

   "Well, you're not so concerned about it in bed," the queen snorts through laughter, looking at the colorful, noisy group of princesses, flooding the village. 

   Soldiers and local people are running around, unloading piles of luggage from the carts while the girls are happily chattering and joking with everyone. This is one of the happiest places of my childhood. We were constantly whining and pleading with father to send us to visit The First Shelter. We all love the queen as much as she loves us. She taught us how to hunt in the grass land and gave us little lion cubs to take care of them until they were strong enough to be released in the wild. The celebrations, organized for us around an enormous bonfire, didn't have a match.

   "Let me present you the Eleysan Royal Family." Father leads her to King Dorth, Queen Airya and Dey who are standing nearby, surrounded by their guard.

  "You don't need your soldiers here," Queen Jendayi narrows her eyes at the king's sullen expression after exchanging the official courtesies. "You're guests in this land. No one shall treat you differently than that."

   "Thank you, Your Majesty," Queen Airya hurries to answer with a warm smile. He only nods, easing the grip on his sword's handle.

   "So, this handsome young man is the ruthless commander of the northern army?" Jendayi turns to Dey. "Your excellent leadership costed me the lives of too many of my warriors, including a husband."

   "Forgive me, Your Majesty!" Dey falls on one knee before her. "I never took pleasure in taking people's lives. I was only doing my duty. My condolences for your lost husband."

   "Raise boy!" she puts her hand on his shoulder. "It's what the war does. I'm sure you lost people you cared for too. You should not be apologizing. We all should thank you for all that you will give up to be The Saviou..."

   "Ma'am," I quickly interrupt her. "Our guests are tired and dusty. Please, show them their dwellings, so that they can take a bath and some rest before the feast. We don't have much time. We're leaving at sunset."

   The queen covers her mouth with her hand, giving me a startled look, but quickly braces herself and beams at the prince.

   "Don't mind a chattering woman," she chirps. "I always get talkative in the presence of a good-looking man. Please, follow me."

   Dey's eyes are pinned on me for the first time today. His questioning gaze makes me sweat even more. He doesn't know. I don't want to tell him. He'll probably hate me and it will break my heart. I won't tell him before I'm sure of what I suspect. I pray for my hunch to be true. 

   I have to admit it to myself. It doesn't matter what the prophecy said. I know him for only two days, but I already love him.

________________________________

A/N

Hello at the end of chapter 12!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

Queen Jendayi almost let a secret slip out. 😉

It's clear that it was connected to the prophecy which caused the war. 

So, I will be happy to see your theories about what it could be 😀

What suspicion Sai is waiting to confirm before telling Dey the whole truth?

Share your thoughts, ask questions and criticize, if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote, if you liked the story.

Love: Anny