Special 6. The Path of Kings

Eleysan's customs are no less interesting and unique than those of the Desert Kingdom. For centuries on, each ruler had to build up his power and prove his determination to protect the borders and ensure every subject's well-being and prosperity.

    Eleysan is a patriarchal society, unlike Sai's homeland. This applies to all four tribes that inhabit it. The crown always goes to the male heir. Those men are fearless, strong and agile, excellent warriors, strategists and scholars. A king must possess all the qualities ordinary people do not have, be above all others and even overcome himself if necessary. He is expected to demonstrate his abilities before being given full authority over the realm.

   The most important initiation is walking the Path of Kings.

   This tradition is more symbolic nowadays, a reminder of the glorious past, but no less cherished and eagerly awaited by the folk

   This tradition is more symbolic nowadays, a reminder of the glorious past, but no less cherished and eagerly awaited by the folk. It has become a celebration of continuity preceding every royal wedding. 

   The event will be even more spectacular this time as the future kings are two. Dey and Sai will have to walk a distance of about twenty kilometers, overcoming various challenges, while keeping a good pace at the same time in order to get back to the palace before sunset. The excited spectators have already crowded along the route to watch their progress and cheer them on.

   It all starts at the The Lion's Trail. Legend has it that the lair of a monstrous, ferocious lion was hidden under an enormous rock close to the castle. The beast would attack any traveler, but never bothered those who had the power of a true ruler in them, even if it was a child. Many people believe that the spirit of the terrifying animal is still guarding the steep steps, leading to the plateau on the other side of the rock, which is now carved in the shape of a sleeping lion.  Only the future king can reach the top.

   When Dey and Sai overcome the first challenge, they will have to pass by The Sleeping God without waking him up

   When Dey and Sai overcome the first challenge, they will have to pass by The Sleeping God without waking him up. But God's sleep is light. Only brewing fragrant herbs and sitting in silence next to him for at least an hour would calm him. This may seem like an easy task, but not when the stones are heated by the burning midday sun and the visitors are not allowed any clothes to protect them, other than a thin shirt and leather pants. Many people would pass out under such conditions in much shorter time.