Chapter 38: He's Okay...

I looked at the man for a few moments, trying to keep a straight look on my face through all of what he had just said to me. How he had thought of the devil, as 'The God'. It sounded almost as if he did not even believe what it was that he was saying.
I blinked a few times, as I tried my best to not think on all of it at the current moment. I knew that my thoughts needed to just be focused on trying to act normal right now, so that tonight, I could think of a way to get out of this messy situation.
I shivered a little bit, as I saw that thank fully, the man had not noticed that I had done so. He had his eyes on his wife, as I saw that he had a bit of a suspicious look on his face, as he just stared at her for a bit of time, as if the new guy was not the one that he needed to be worried about.
I blinked a few times, as I was a bit glad that he did not have his focus on me at the current moment. I felt a bit bad for his wife, as it did not seem as though she had even wanted to be a part of this in the first place. I blinked a few times, as I remembered what the son of Pat had told me.
"She is not my mom... My real mom died after she left my dad..." He had said to me. I felt a bit sick, as at first I had believed what the kid had said, but now the I knew what this man was a part of, or rather, what he was the leader of, I felt as though what the kid had told me, had a bit of a deeper meaning to it.
I felt a bit bad for the kid as well, as he had been born in to this family, and it was clear that he had not a single clue as to what it was that his father had been doing. I shook my head though, as I knew that I should not have my head space in those thoughts right now, as for all I knew, the dude could read peoples mind.
I stood beside the driver side door for a bit more time, as I once again thought about running off. I knew now was the perfect time, as the man had his full focus on his wife at the current moment. There was just one big problem with all of that.
I had no idea where I was going, and it was completely dark out at this point. I did not even know what kind of evil creatures could be in the woods either, and I felt that it would be best to just not try right now. I knew that I would have plenty of other chances in the near future.
Yes... I knew that Pat would have his eyes on me for quite a bit of time, but at some point I knew that I would find the right time to get out. Hell... I knew that as long as I went by his rules, that I would be fine as well... I would go to the meetings, and all would be okay...
But would it really though? I felt like I already knew the answer to that. I knew that I would lose a part of my soul, if I was to join up with a cult. At some point, I might not even want to leave. I felt a bit sick, as I tried to take my mind of those thoughts as well.
I should have plenty of time to just think it through in bed, and to sleep in through the night. The problem was though, was would I even be able to get to sleep? I had bad nightmares over the last couple of nights, and I felt that they were only going to get worse after the day I just had.
I let out a bit of a soft sigh, as I closed my eyes at the same time as well. I sat there for a bit of time, with a blank mind for once, thankfully, as I just let the cold air flow through me. It was not the wind that made it cold, as you might think in a place such as Kansas.
It was just cold in the air, there was no wind where I was at, at the current moment, as I was deep in to a patch of a forest at the moment. I shook my head, as I then gulped at the same time too, as I lifted my head up, once I heard the voice of Pat speak up to me.
It was not much of a soothing voice either, but it was not the voice of an evil man at all. One would not think that he was evil, by just first looking at him. What I had seen today though, I knew was pure evil, and there was no denying it, or working around that fact.
I shook my head, a little bit, as he did not notice it at all, as his eyes were locked right in to mine. I looked at him for a bit longer, as I listened to what it was that he had to say, as I felt like I did not want to miss a word of what he had to say to me.
I knew that I had to play by his rules, and one single fuck up, could lead to the inevitable death of me. I stood there for a bit more time, as I kept my ears open to his voice, as I made sure that I head every single word that came out of the mans mouth, though he did not feel like much of a man.
"Well... You ought to go ahead and get in to the truck... We made a promise to our son, that we would not be late like yesterday, and its already dark, so we already broke that promise..." He said to me. I stood for a little bit longer, almost as if I had not heard a single word of what he had said to me just now.
For some reason, I felt a bit bad for the man, though I knew that I should not be, as he was not the exact man that I should exactly feel bad for. I felt more bad for the kid, for one, I had been a part of the reason that I had made his father break his promise, but I also felt bad for the kid, for having the father that he had.
I knew that at some point, his father would have to tell his son about all of the stuff that he did, though I doubt he would tell his son that it was evil. I was sure that he would find some sort of way to turn it, that way he could sketch it in to the brain of the kid, that some how what he was doing, was okay, and it was good.
As I thought back on it, a little bit more, I began to realize that they were already oozing it in to the brain of the kid, that all of this was okay, just based off of the stuff that they were letting him, or rather, for all I know, making him watch on TV.
I shook my head though, no matter how bad I felt for the kid, I knew that there was no way that I would be able to save him. I could file a police report on the place, but I was not so sure how much that would really do, as my father had told me that the government was a part of the evil, and all of the corruption.
In the end, if I did that, than they might starting tracking me, and trying to kill me. For all I knew, they might already have a tracker on my truck right now. I kind of doubted that though, as it did not seem like these people knew all that much about technology.
I shook my head though, as I blinked my eyes at the same time as well, as I realized that I had been standing in this one spot for quite a lot of time now, and based on the look, on the face of Pat, I could tell that it was looking highly suspicious of me not responding to what it was that he had said to me.
I stared back at him though, as if for some reason there was some sort of rebellious, and strong power that was taking over me at the moment. It was something that I had never experienced before, as I was typically a bit of an introvert, and I was always afraid to do anything.
It was a bit strange for me to want to go and find out what the man was exactly doing, now that I thought on all of it. I stared there for a bit of some time as I was not so sure what was going on with me right now. If I had not done so, than I would not be stuck in this situation that I was in right now.
I blinked a few more times, as I realized that I was still yet to respond to the man yet. I had been standing here for nearly a whole minute already, and I could tell just by the look on the face of the man, that he could tell that I was thinking of something.
I looked back up at the man, as I too then stared at him, locking eyes with him finally, somehow getting that kind of strength once again. I then nodded to him, as after a bit more time had passed along, I decided that I was going to speak up to Pat, and his wife that was in the passenger seat.
"Sorry... It is just a lot to take in right now." I said to him. He stared at me for a bit more time, as if he had not heard a word of what it was that I had said to him just now. I knew that he had though, as for some reason, I could tell that this man was well aware of his surroundings at all times.
That part scared me the most, as I now realized that I had in fact, made the right decision in the end, to run off in to the woods. I knew that the man was stronger, bigger, and faster than I could ever be, even if I was to bulk up, and get in to great shape, which I could not see myself ever doing.
I let out a bit of a soft sigh of relief, to myself, that he was not able to notice as well, thankfully enough. After a couple for seconds had passed as well, the man finally seemed to have a bit of a subtle reaction to what it was that I had just said to him, not too long ago.
I saw a bit of a change on the look of his face, as I started to question what it was that I had just said to him. I felt like I had made a bit of a mistake, as I felt that at any second now, he was going to pull out his dagger, which I knew was still on him, and then cut open my throat with it.
I blinked a couple of times, once again, as I knew that was not going to happen, and that I was thinking of the worst possible ending, in every sort of scenario in my brain at the exact moment. I couple of shivers went down my spine however, as I then heard the man speak up, and begin to talk to me once again.
"I understand kid... I was just like that when my father told me about it, when I was much younger... You see... The schools don't teach you enough about the good in the world..." He said to me. I looked at him with a bit of a shocked, and confused look on my face. Pat then rolled his eyes, and he then continued to speak to me. "I will tell you about it later... Just get in the truck for now, we have to get back home, and make super for my boy."
I looked at him for a bit of time, as my mind drew a bit of a blank, as I was a bit confused on what it was that he had meant by the schools not teaching us about the good in the world. I knew that he was right with what he had said, as history class typically did not teach you about very much good.
I also knew that he had a much different meaning in to what he had said to me as well. Pat turned his head back to the steering wheel of his truck, as he then gave it a loud couple of taps, to remind me that I needed to get in to the truck with them.
I shook my head, as I then nodded to him, as I could tell that he was looking at me from the side mirrors of his truck right now. It then began to click in to my brain, as to what it was that I had to do, to get out of this sticky situation that I was in right now.
It first started with doing what it was that he told me to do. I nodded to myself, which I knew that he had not seen from the mirror this time, as I then opened up the doors of the back seat of the very old truck. It was a bit of a surprise to me as well, that a truck as old as this one, which I did not know much about cars, but I knew this one was at least 20 years of age, that this even had a back seat.
I shook my head though, as I hopped on in, putting my seat belt on for some reason, though I knew that there was not going to me very many cars driving down the road, in the middle of Kansas none the less, at this time of night.
I blinked a few times, as the truck did not move one bit. I was a bit confused as to what was going on, until I heard a click from the front, and then I heard the loud roar of the engine of the truck. I let out another soft sigh of relief, as I now knew that I was going to be okay, and I had thankfully not messed up too had, to get myself killed.
I stared ahead of me, as I saw the head lights of the truck pop on, and light up the way that we needed to get back to their home. The road was a straight dirt and bumpy road, as I noticed by the first couple of bumps of the truck, while we were driving through.
I had not realized it while I had walked through the forest, nor had I even thought about the fact of the cars and the trucks that had been here, had to drive across that messy road. I shook my head though, as I was happy to not have dark thoughts right now, but those were not the exact thoughts I needed to he in my head right now.
Those were useless thoughts, and I knew that I should be having my mind on thinking of a way to get out of here. I knew that I had a truck, but I doubt that they would help me fix it up, now that they had got me to join up with their cult.
They were not stupid people, and they knew that it was a truck that shipped parts to the other side of the country. It was not simply a truck that I could use to go across Kansas and help them out. Plus, as they had every right to not do it, I knew that they would not give me a car right away.
I still had not nearly gained there trust at all. I shivered though, as I wondered where my mind would be at, when I had in fact gained the trust of the man. I shivered, as I tried to shake off all of those thoughts that were swarming through my head at the exact moment.
I turned my head a bit aways from the road that I had just had my eyes on, as it seemed as though the road had some how managed to get longer than I had first remembered it to be. I looked over at the mans wife, Ashley, as I saw that she had her head across to truck, and over at me.
I blinked a couple of times, as I realized that she was staring at me, as if she too was trying to read in to my soul. I shook my head though, as for some reason I felt a bit more safe with this woman, than I did with the man. I felt that I might be falling right in to their little trap that they had secretly set up for me as well.
He could have told her to gain my trust, so that he would know if I had second thoughts of betraying them. I blinked a few times, as I began to realize that I was over thinking all of this. The lady genuinely did not really look as if she wanted to be there either.
Just based off of the look that I could see in her eyes, I felt like she was either some sort of grammy nominated actor, or she was actually feeling a bit of the same way that I was. Either way, I felt like she might have been a part of all of this for so long, and I knew that I still should not trust her.
I just needed to worry about getting my self out of this, and I should not be thinking of her at all. She had been the one to make the mistake of marrying the man in the first place. I highly had a doubt that he had been hiding all of this, all this time from her.
Either way, I saw that our eyes were locked on with one another, and I felt as if I saw a bit of some real fear in the eyes of hers. I was not sure if I should be afraid myself, as I still did not have a single clue of who this man, Patrick, was, and what he had done.
I had to figure that he had done some evil shit, just based off of the fact that he had a previous wife, and she had just mysteriously disappeared on him, and left him, even though I knew that she more than likely had known that he was a leader of a cult.
We had our eyes locked for just a little bit longer, as I saw a bit of a sad flicker in hers, as she dipped her head down for a couple of seconds. Luckily the man did not seem to notice, nor did he seem to care as to what was going on at the current moment.
His eyes were on the road, and I could tell that he was not happy on the fact that he had broken his sons promise. I could tell that he for some reason really did care for his son, which felt a bit strange to me, as to the fact that he was a leader of a cult.
I might have thought that he would have used his son as a sacrifice to Satan. I nodded to myself as well, as I was happy that I still classified, their 'God' as the man that was obviously Satan. I closed my eyes for a few seconds, as I saw that the wife had her eyes closed.
I had to keep an open mind set, and I knew that I would find a way out of all of this, and that everything was going to end up being okay in the end. I let out a soft sigh to myself, once again, until I heard the voice of Pat begin to speak up in the front seat of the car.
"Ashley... Keep your eyes on the road... He will be fine..." He said to his wife. I blinked a few times, as I felt like I should be shocked, as he seemed to have not been paying attention to any of that, just a few seconds ago.
I also realized that perhaps my theory about him being very aware of his surroundings was also correct too. I looked down at the ground though, as I felt a bit embarrassed. I hoped that he did not think that I was fooling around with his wife.
I had been here for just a day, and I had not even been around her for very much time, but I still was worried if that might be what he could possibly be thinking. I also began to think if that might what she could be thinking of doing.
I was not sure, and it did not make sense at all to me. I was just some random truck driver, and her husband was a lot better looking than I was. I did not understand woman all that much, and I had never got into that deep of a relationship, so that might have something to do with it too.
I sighed a little bit louder than I intended to this time, but luckily Pat did not seem to notice, or care at all, as he turned on to the main road that I had walked across to get into the trail in the woods, just a few hours before now.
I knew that we were about 2-3 miles from the house now, and it should not take that much longer to get there. I felt a lot safer around the kid, as he seemed like the only normal person out of that entire family. I felt like, it would be a lot harder to kill me in there, as I knew Pat would not want his son to find out about what it was that he had been doing all this time.
I lifted my head back up though, and I looked back at the normal road that was in front of me. I stared at it for a bit more time, as I felt a lot safer on a road like this, rather than the dirt path that we had been driving on, not all that long ago.
I stared at it for a little bit longer, as I felt a sudden buzz from my phone, inside of my pocket. It then hit me at the same time, as I realized that I had recorded a fair amount of that little ceremony that they had been having, before they had caught me.
It was lucky for me as well, that they did not think on the fact that I might perhaps have a phone on me. Another thing hit me at the same time too, as I remembered that I had a tracker in my truck, and if my company saw that I had not spoken to them or responded to them in a while, than they might be getting a bit worried.
They could track where I was at, and they could find me. I wondered if Pat had taken that into consideration, as I kind of doubted that he had, as he did not seem up to date in all that technology stuff. I never was either, but I always made sure to buy my new Iphone every year.
I shook my head though, as I knew that my thoughts should not exactly be on that, at the current moment. I blinked a few times to, as I then also heard the voice of Ashley, as she had finally got the courage to step up, and speak back to her husband. I looked up, and I listened to what it was that she had to say to him.
"I just wanted to make sure that he's okay..."