Chapter 24: Tonight

I looked at the man, who I was now going to go by his actual name, which was Peter, and then I nodded to him. I saw that the rest of the people were sitting at the table, and they were enjoying their meal, I suppose that he did not want me to be left out of that.
I then cut into the egg, as I liked to do, hoping that it did not look weird to the rest of them, and I then let the egg yolk go all over the bacon. No one seemed to notice me do it, and if they did see it, than it was clear that they did not care all that much.
I bit into the left over parts of the egg, as it tasted amazing, which would be expected for some eggs that were fresh, and were made on their farm. I knew that my father was very much against corporate companies, and they stuff that they put in their food, to make it last a little bit longer.
I felt like these people would be the same, but I did not bring it up to them, as thinking about my father, and they random visions that I had been having all day, and the last couple of days as well, it kind of scared me to think about it, if I was not going to lie.
I was open, to hear what it was that he had to say about all of those theories at the dinner table, even though my mom would give him a rough punch on his arm, as it was clear that she did not want him messing up my brain. I was born with a messed up mind though, I was noy going to lie about that.
I shook my head, as I enjoyed the food that had been made for me. It was quite rare that I got to eat fresh food, such as this. I was lucky to have a place to stay as well, as I could not thank this family enough, for letting a random stranger into their home in the middle of the night.
I tried to shake off what my father had told me about the freemasons. I knew that the family was freemasons as well, and I knew that they were real too. I saw the sticker that they had on their truck, but as long as they did not bother me, than I would not worry too much about it.
As long as they did not try to push me, to try to join their cult, than I am sure that I would be okay. Surely they would be smart enough to not ask me if I would like to right? They knew that I was not from around to block, they had clearly seen the Florida license plate, and they could tell by my accent.
I closed my eyes for just a few moments time, as I heard the family moving their utensils around their plates, trying to get as much in as they could of the delicious food. I did my best to try to clear my thoughts, for hopefully the rest of the day, as I knew that I was going to be working with them.
I then opened my eyes at the the same time as well, as I then looked at the family, as luckily none of them were paying me any attention, as their eyes were on the food that they had made in front of them. I then looked down at my plate, realizing that I had not even gotten to the bacon or the pancakes quite yet.
I then stopped myself, as my heart froze when I saw what was on the plate in front of me. Where the yolk of the egg had been, I saw a strange red liquid. I tried to think of anything else it might be, but I knew exactly what it was at the exact instance of seeing it.
There was nothing else that it could possibly be, besides blood of course. I then gulped down a bit of spit down my throat, as I then held on to my fork, and my knife quite a bit harder than I should. This could not be real right? Just another random vision that I was having surely...
I then blinked just a couple of times, as I then saw that the yolk had now gone back to its normal yellow color. I no longer felt hungry now however, as it was quite a bit hard for me to just push away what I could have sworn I had just now seen.
I then moved the bacon away from the egg yolk, and I shook off the bacon a little bit, trying to get out any of the yolk that might still be on the pieces of bacon. I noticed that the kid saw me doing that as well, as he looked quite a bit confused, but thankfully, he did not say anything to his parents about it.
I knew that shaking the bacon had hardly done anything to get the yolk out, but it just made me feel a bit better, so it was the thought that counted I suppose. I then bit into the bacon, which was oh so delicious to me as well, as it had been long time since I had any bacon at all, much less some bacon that was this damn good.
I closed my eyes, as I took the last little bite of bacon. As it was a bit sad that it was gone now, as it had me craving for more. I looked at the stove, hoping to see some on one of the pans, but the wife had clearly already put the pans into the sink.
Once I was done, I then got up from the table, but the wife stopped my just before I did so. I looked at her, quite a bit confused as to the reason that she had stopped me. I then sat down, a bit lost, as she then began to speak to me.
"Don't worry about that Anthony, I've got you... It is a woman's job to take the plates to the sink, and do the dishes." She said to me. I looked at her, quite a bit surprised in that, as I then nodded to her, and the a gave her the plate that I had just eaten off of.
I was just more confused at the fact that she had spoken as if we were in the 18 hundreds. Maybe that was what it was like living out in a rural area such as that I suppose. As I still could not keep the look of surprise from off of my face.
The wife was a bit confused as to what it was that was so off to me, as I was not sure how to explain it, if that was the way that this family was raised, it might seem a bit strange to them if I told them the way that it was out in the urban areas.
I sat there for a few moments, as she then got the plates from her husband, and her son, or step son rather, as once she had gotten those, she then got up from the table, and then began to walk over to the sink. I turned my head over to the husband, Peter, as he then began to speak to me, to make sure that he knew that I was listening to him.
"That is just our family tradition, it might seem a bit strange to you, since I suppose that you have lived in big cities for the most of your life... Hell... I've not even taken my son to Kansas City... Hes never left the state." He said to me. I looked at him, and then I nodded to the man, now understanding.
I then looked at the kid a bit sadly, as I felt a bit bad for him, he had never gotten to see the rest of the world... He probably had never been more than 50 miles out in his entire life. The kid did not seem to be sad or upset about it when his father spoke, as it seemed normal to him.
I shook my head, as I then looked away from the both of them. I was not sure what to say back to him, I did not know them hardly at all, so I did not know what would seem cool or funny to them. They seemed to have a bit of a dark sense of humor, so I was sure that it would be quite a bit hard to trigger them.
I sat there for just a few moments, as I just thought to myself, something that might be cool, or good to say back to him. I did not want to get too deep into conversation, but while the wife was at the sink, cleaning the dishes, I felt like I might as well try to speak to him.
I turned my head back over to the man, as I saw that he was playing some sort of game with his son, that looked as though it might be a thumb war, or some other thing that kids seemed to be into. I then began to speak, as I did not want to sound rude, when I interrupted them in the middle of their little game. The man then turned his head over to me, to hear what it was that I had to say.
"Well... Yeah, I've been all around the country, with my job being a trucker obviously, but my family split apart, when I was a lot younger, so it was hard for me, moving in and out of places switching between them." I said back to the man. The man looked at me, with a bit of a sad look for me on his face, as he then nodded a bit of understanding.
It made me feel a bit better, that maybe this family was not all that sadistic, as I nodded back to him, dipping my head to the ground, a bit sad to be thinking of my family, much less my own father, who I had not spoken to in quite some time.
The man sat there for a few more moments, as it seemed as though he was thinking back on some things too. After a bit longer though, of the man just thinking to himself, he then lifted his head back up, as he nodded once again, as he then began to speak to me. I listened to what it was that he had to say as well.
"My parents were the same way when I was younger, in fact, my mother had pushed my father to such a bad point, that he ended up hanging himself one morning... I was the one that had to find it too, it traumatized me for years." He said to me. I looked at him, quite a bit surprised at the fact that he had just so opened up to me like that.
It also came as a bit of a surprise to me too, as to the fact that I thought that I had it rough when I was younger, that was nothing compared to all that he had to go through. I gulped, as I felt a bit low for now thinking that I had it so rough.
I was not sure what to say back to the man, but I did not want to make it seem bad at the same time too, as I lifted my head back up to the man, trying to keep my eyes locked on to his. After I did so, I then began to speak back to the man, adding my part on it.
"Wow... That is crazy, I am sorry that you had to go through that... I hope that it did not mess you up too badly, you seem in good shape now." I said back to the man. The man looked at me for a few moments, and he then nodded to me at the same time as well.
Just as he did that however, he then dipped his head to the ground, as I could tell that it hurt him quite a bit, having to tell that story to me. I felt bad for the guy, as I was not sure what else to say back to him, I wish that we had not gotten to this point, that was one thing that I could say for a fact.
We just sat there in silence for quite some time, as no one felt like saying a word, and the kid for sure did not have anything to add back to it. The man finally however lifted his head back up, as he then began to speak back to me once again. I looked him dead in his eyes, as I listened to what it was that he had to say to me.
"Yes... It hurt like hell... I was so young, I did not even know what was going on. I thought that he was just playing a game. I told my Uncle, and he called the police... My mother did not get into any trouble at all... My Uncle took me in however." He said to me. I looked at him, as it was a lot for me to take in all at once.
I then began to realize what he had just said, and then I nodded to him, still feeling a bit bad for him, that he to go through that mess at such a young age. The man then lowered his head to the ground once again, as it seemed as though that was all that he had to say about all of it.
I was not sure what to say back to the man, to make him feel any better. I just lowered my head to the ground, feeling bad for him, and for myself, for thinking that I might have ever had it rough. I then lifted my head up at the same time too, as the kid then began to speak. It surprised me, but I listened to what it was that he had to say anyways.
"Yeah... My father said that he is in heaven now." He said to me. I looked at the kid, and I blinked a few times, as I knew that was not what I had been told by people when I was young. The kid kept on talking, thankfully not making me say anything stupid about that. "My mother, she got into a fight with my dad, and then she left us... I thought that she cared about me..."
I looked at the kid, as I felt bad for him as well now too. I felt even worse for the man though, as it seemed as though life had thrown him more than a couple of curve balls, and it seemed too, that he had, had quite a shitty life as well.
The man lifted his head up once he heard his son speak up to me, and he then nodded, as though he had agreed with what his son had just said at the same time. He then turned his head over to me, as he then began to speak up to me.
"Yes... My father is with God now..." He said, a bit strangely too, as though he might have some sort of different meaning to it. He then began to keep on speaking though, before I could think on what he had just said. "I thought she was the one too, but I am glad for Ashley, for she his a much better wife than her, as I now understand."
I looked at him, and then I nodded, though I could not help but shiver a bit at the same time, as something did not seem right with all that I had just heard. I tried not to think about it all that much, as I am sure there was more than likely a few things that they hid because it was just between themselves.
I then looked over to the mans wife, Ashley, as the loud sink that she was cleaning the dishes in, then turned off, and she then began to speak up to all of us. I nodded, as I listened to what it was that she had to say.
"I am done... So if you guys are ready to go ahead and help out with the eggs, than lets get this show on the road!" She said to all of us, but mainly to me, as I could tell that she had her eyes locked on me when she had said that. I nodded back to her, and the others nodded to her as well.
She then began to wipe off the water that was on her hands, and she then slowly walked over to where all of us were sitting at beside the table still. The woman's husband then began to speak up as well, as I turned my head over to him.
"Alright, son, you go and clean up your room and the bathroom upstairs, that's all you've got to do for today." He said to his son. I shivered once again, as I remembered the strange, but quite scary vision that I had in the bathroom up there, not too long ago.
I did not want to say anything however, as I did not want to scare the kid. He nodded to his father, and then he got up from where he had been sitting at, at the table with the rest of us. I then watched him, as he walked past the living room, turning off the TV as I then heard him begin to walk up the steps.
I then turned my head back over to the other 2, that were still standing with me at the table, as the wife nodded to me, and she then turned her head over to her husband, Peter. After a few moments of creaking from the kid walking above us, she then began to speak to him.
"Alright... Let's go ahead and go, we've got some stuff still to do tonight!"