Chapter 18: Hard Work

I looked at the kid on the dark, as my eyes were also getting a slight bit in tune with how dark it was in the room in the first place. I saw that the kid in fact did look a bit scared, and I felt a bit bad for him at the same time as well.
I had not meant to scare him, and I was not so sure what could possibly be so wrong with me lately. Ever since I had landed in Kansas, I had just had the worst, and most random dreams just cone out of nowhere. The one I just had as well, I had not even been asleep.
I shivered, and did my best to shake it off at the same time too. I saw the look on the kids face as well, as it seemed like he was getting more and more worried each moment that I just sat there and did not respond to what he had just said to me as well.
I looked at him for just a few moments longer, as I was not sure what it was that I should say to him in the first place. I wanted to try and make him feel better, and to not freak him out even more than he already was, but my mind was just drawing a complete blank at the moment.
I did my best to think of something to say, and just as I thought of what to respond to the kid with I then heard loud footsteps from not too far away from us. I began to freak out once again, as my brain was telling my for some odd reason that there was something coming after me again.
I then realized that it was just normal footsteps and it was just the kids father walking upstairs, wondering why he had heard the loud screaming in the first place, as I heard the kids father began to shout something to us to make sure that nothing was going on.
"Are you okay? I heard the guy yelling, what is going on?" He yelled back loudly to the both of us. The kid just sat there, and I could tell that he was just frozen in place, and he could not think of a single thing to say to his father at the same time as well.
I did not want to father to come up the stairs, and see the kid standing there with a freaked out loon on his face either, that would for sure not be a good first look for me too. I thought of a quick couple of words to respond to the man with before he walked up into the hallway.
"Yes! I am sorry, I have just been having nightmares over the last few days, I am not sure what is wrong with me..." I said to the guy. I hoped it would be enough to not get him upset at me that his kid was freaked out at the same time too.
Just as I said it though, I noticed that the kid had stopped being frozen in place, and it looked like he was quite a bit more calm at the exact moment as well. It calmed me down a bit too, as I heard the guy walking up the top part of the stairs still, as I had done it in just the perfect time.
As he got up to the top step, I saw I light flicker, and I closed my eyes so that it did not hurt my eyes too badly as well. I sat there for a few moments, as I heard the guy then walking through the hallway, over to the bedroom that I was in, now that he had seen his kid standing there.
I slowly opened my eyes at the same time as well, as the bright light hurt my eyes quite a bit, so it took my eyes quite a bit of time to get used to them. I sat there for a few moments, as through the squinted part of my eyes I saw the man stand by the door way to the room that I was in.
The kid I could tell had quite a bit of trouble with his eyes as well. I saw that he had his eyes closed at the same time too, just like I had my eyes too. After a few more moments, the kid then decided that he was going to be the first one to speak, as he spoke back to his father with quite an upset tone in his voice.
"Dad! Why do you always do that? It hurts my eyes!" He said to his father. As my eyes then began to get a little bit used to the light, I finally decided to fully open my eyes too. I saw the father look at his son, as he looked a bit guilty as well. He lifted his hands up in the air like a person was if a cop had a gun to their face.
I wanted to laugh, though I was not sure if it was funny to them or not. I could not tell if they had a sense of humor or not quite yet. Maybe they did, because of what the kid had said quite a bit earlier. It seemed like a dark and demented sense of humor for where they lived at.
I shook my head though, and I looked over at the kids father, as he was looking at his son for quite a few moments. Then he remembered why he had come to this spot in the first place, as he turned his head back over to me, and he squinted his eyes at me, but this time it was for a different reason than me and the kid.
After a few more moments, the man then nodded to me, as he looked back over to his son for a few moments. He looked at his son, as his son had his head turned down at the ground, it was as if he had done something wrong. Maybe he had, but if he had than I must have completely missed it as well.
He then looked back over to me, as he shook his head at his son. It was as if his son had seen him do that with a 3rd eye as his head seemed to dip a bit more lower the moment that he had done it. I realized the man was looking right at me, and I waited for him to speak, as he kept a close eye on his son from out of the corner of his eye. After a few more moments of silence in the cold room, he finally decided to speak, not just to me, but to his son as well.
"Well... I want you get get out of the room son, I want to talk to him privately, it is nothing bad so do not worry about all of that." He said to his child. The kid looked at his father for a few moments, and it seemed as though he did not believe what his father had just said to him in the first place.
I did my best to suppress a gulp from going down my throat at the same time as well, as kid just sat there for a few moments, and this time it seemed like the kid had suddenly grown a pair, and he was looking up at his father with his eyes squinted as well.
The kids father did not seem to notice him doing any of that at all. The kid saw that his father was paying him no attention as well, as he shook his head, and then he looked over at me, and then he nodded his head to me. Me and his father then turned our heads over to him as he began to speak.
"Well... I hope you have a better dream, if you fall back to sleep... I will just be in the other room if you need some help." The kid said, clearly meant at me as well. I looked at the kid for a few moments, as I could tell he was waiting for me to respond to what he had just said to me.
I looked at him for a few moments longer, and then I nodded to the kid, the kid then nodded back to me, and then he turned his head away from me, and he began to walk down the hallway. I almost wanted to tell the kid to stay with me at the same time, because I was still getting some ery vibes from his father.
I watched as the kid left the room, and the father looked at his son as he walked out of the room with a smile on his face. In any other instance besides this one, and the look that the father had on his face, I would have begun to freak out.
I was not getting very good vibes from the house in the first place, and it did not make me feel any better at all, to see him acting like this in front of me at the same time none the less. I closed my eyes for a few moments, as for some reason I half expected to hear loud footsteps coming towards me, ready to kill me.
That was not the case though, as I noticed that the father of the young kid had a calm tone in his voice, as I opened my eyes, and I looked at the man to listen to what it was that he was saying to me in the first place.
"Alright... We can talk more tomorrow about all that happened last night, I just want you to get some more sleep, because tomorrow is going to be some hard work."