Chapter 12: Oh God...

I sat on the porch for quite a while, it had been at least 30 minutes already... I wondered when the kids parent's were going to get back. There was not much to do in Kansas, so surely they could not be doing something that important right?
I also knew if there was even something that they did need to do here, you would have to go quite a long ways to get it done. I hoped that they had been gone for a long time, then they should be getting back soon. The kid would not just let me sleep on the porch if they were going to be gone over night right?
I opened my eyes, and looked around at the sorroundings that were in front of me. I noticed that it was getting noticeably darker by the second. I probably only had about 15-30 minutes of day light on me. I did not know the time, because I did not have a watch, and nor did I have my phone on me at the moment.
I thought about going to the truck and getting my phone. I knew that I did not have data here, but at least I would know the time of the day, or rather the night... And maybe, hopefully at least, this place might have wifi, the kid might have a console and he might play games with his friends on it.
I looked over at my truck, that was about 200 feet away, on the side of the road. I sighed as I looked at it, I wish that I did not have the worst luck in the world like that. It seemed that things could never go my way in life.
I shook my head, if I kept thinking like that, than it would stay that way as well. I closed my eyes for a few moments, trying to clear my thoughts, and just remember what it was that I was about to go and do in the first place. I did a fairly good job of it this time as well.
I looked up, and got up from the chair that I was in on the front porch, I walked down down from the steps, and then I looked at the gravestone that was left there, for a pet obviously. I smiled a little bit, not because of the fact that it was a dead animal, but more on the fact that I knew it was a kid here and that I would be safe.
Hopefully at least, I had seen the kid at the truck place with a knife and blood all over her, but I knew that it was probably just a joke. Someone was just trying to prank me, and get me to freak out, I knew that people could sometimes be cruel like that.
Plus, how would a kid do that to a grown man in the first place? I shook my head, once again trying to clear all of those thoughts that had been drowning in my head the last day out of it. It seemed like life was going so fast right now, and I just could not keep up with it.
I walked up to my truck, and then I put the key into the drivers side door, it was how I knew that this was a very old and beaten down truck as well, it was mainly due to the fact that it did not have an electrical part to unlock the doors to the car.
I got up on the little paddle board, because the door was so high up, that I could not reach my hand up to put the key into the door. I then put my hand into my pocket, to reach for my key. However, I did not feel my key in my pocket.
I looked through the window of the truck, to see if I might have left the key in it, if so than I was very screwed for quite a while, because I had also left my phone in there, and that was my only way to contact anyone. I would be stuck here for a very long time if that were the case.
I did not see the key anywhere, however, and I shook my head and looked back over at the porch. I could not see the keys from here, even if I tried to. I did not feel like walking back over to go get it right now, even if it was over there.
I was just in a lazy mood like that at the moment, as I then stepped down from the board on the side of the truck. I sighed to myself, and thought of all of the possibilities of what could be done if I really was stuck from the car and could not get my phone.
All I could think about at the moment, was just nothing but bad possibilities... Such as, what if the people did not let me into their house and they refused to help me. I could try to get someone to hitchhike for me off of the side of the road.
But I knew that there was not very many cars or trucks that came through, and I also knew that most humans were not friendly enough to help a person like me out. I could be stuck there for quite some time, with no food or water none the less.
I closed my eyes, not wanting to think about that even being a possibility... I just had to think positive, this was going to be okay, maybe the guy that lived there took care of cars and trucks for a living, or at least new how to fix them up.
It would not be a surprise, people knew how to do things like that, in places like this. If not, then they would maybe take me to a place that would come over and fix up my truck, or even get my to a place that I could have data to buy someone to come help me.
Or maybe even just buy an uber over to Florida and get there and tell them about what had happened, then they would have no choice but to get me a new truck. If they refused to then I could just find a new place to work, this job was not hard to find places like this, especially since I did not have a living place.
I opened my eyes, I did not need to think that deep into things just yet, as I went over to the other side of the truck, and I hopped on the board to it as well, just to see if I had missed something that I could not see from the other window.
As I looked around, I shook my head. All I could see were empty bottles laying everywhere on the floor, and my phone that was on the seat of my drivers side window. I wondered if I could say hey to Siri from over here.
I then looked around, just to make sure that no one was around the area, to hear me yelling hey siri from the truck. I noticed as well, that the window was just slightly cracked open, as I liked to have it like that since the truck did not have a very good AC system.
"Hey Siri" I yelled to it, and after a second or so, I heard the ring, and I saw the time, as it said 7:30. I looked at it for a few more seconds, as it then went back to it being on a black screen. I then nodded, this would be about the time where I would start to look for places to stay the night anyways.
I nodded snd then I hopped down from the board, and then began to walk back over to the front porch of the house. It was a fairly nice house as well, I always dreamed of having a house like that to my self. I also knew that it was useless to buy one if I was going to be a truck driver for a couple more years.
But some day after I retired, I also knew that I was going to buy a fairly nice house, it an rural area like this, just not Kansas, and then live out the rest of my life there. I smiled even thinking about it, glad that I was thinking about something else today, something that was fairly good.
I walked up the steps to get onto the front porch, and then I looked at the chair that I was sitting in just a few moments ago. As I looked at it, I saw that my keys to my truck were standing there, I rolled my eyes, of course I would have left it there.
I then just shook my head, and I hopped on the chair, picking up my keys just before doing so, and this time putting it into my button up pocket. I always bought those because I knew my memory was bad, and I would leave something, so I knew that I had to put it in those.
It was just this time I did not think about it like that, just because of the circumstances that I was in. I knew that it could not be somewhere that bad, it would not be that hard to find. Unless it was in the truck of course, which I was lucky that it was not as well.
For once, if you want to call it that, luck had come my way this time. I smiled and then sat back in the rolling wooden chair, and closed my eyes. I did not feel like going back to the truck quite yet to get my phone, I had already seen the time on it...
I kept on rolling on it, just keeping my eyes closed, hoping the kids parents would be back soon. I also had to hope that they would let me in for a few days, and would also help me find a place to get my trucked fixed... I knew that not all people were evil here.
The kid seemed to be fairly cool, he was just worried why there was a grown man on his front porch in the middle of Kansas, he had every right to be. I shook my head, I was screwed if they did not help me, I would just have to hope someone was kind enough to help me off of the side of the highway.
If they did not help me, then they would also be upset that a massive truck was on their property, and it was not like they could just get a toe truck to pick that up either. If you asked me, they had no other choice but to help me out.
I hated to be thinking that way, but I knew that was the only way. It was a shit situation that I was stuck in. It was kind of shitty for them as well, they had a person on their property and with that came a massive truck as well. They had to help him out, and more than likely feed him as well.
I would not be too happy if I had to put myself in their shoes, if I was going to be honest with myself. I shook my head and just kept my eyes closed as I kept on rolling the chair back and forth, bored out of my mind and kind of upset as well because I was not getting payed because of all this.
I knew that the owner was going to be upset as well, because the stuff that was in the truck would not be getting to the destination on time, if it did get there at all none the less. I opened my eyes, just trying not to think those types of thoughts. I knew that it was true, but it was also not my business.
I then heard a tap on the window right behind me, and I turned my head around to see a kid, probably around the ages of 12 or 13, just staring at me. I looked at him a bit confused as to why he had interrupted my thoughts, as he then cracked open the window so that he could speak to me.
"Well... Since you are stuck here, we have some animals in the back if you want to go see them, a couple of cows, pigs, and some chickens as well." He said to me. I looked at the kid for a few seconds, and then nodded to him.
The kid squinted my eyes at me, probably wondering why I did not respond to what he had just told me, which I did not blame him for. It just did not sound very appealing to me, I never was a big fan of pets, nor farm animals none the less.
It was just too much work for me, and I would just rather be alone and lazy, than have a cat or a dog that I had to take outside, feed, and clean out the litter box for. Not to mention I also had to give them attention as well.
The kid just shook his head at me, as if it was not his problem that someone was on his porch. He then began to close the window, but I stopped him just before he did that, and then I began to speak to him. I had a question, but I kind of had my doubts if he would say yes just based off of where they lived at.
"Do you guys happen to have wifi here?" I said to the kid. The kid looked at me a bit surprised, and I wondered if the kid even knew what wifi was in the first place. It would not surprise me if so, he probably did not know what any of that was.
After a few moments, he cracked open the window a bit more, and then he nodded at me. It came as a bit of a surprise to me at the same time. Maybe I was being a bit stupid as well, it was 2021, everyone had access to the internet nowadays. I always thought it was funny when my father would tell me how it was so much harder in his days.
I am sure that his father said the same thing to him as well. Everyone always likes to act like they have had the roughest things happen to them in life. I knew some people that really had some rough things happen to them, and I never heard them brag about it to other people like I heard many others do.
I shook my head, and then payed attention to the kid, as he began to speak back to me. All the while, I was still just sitting on the rolling chair on the front porch, just rolling it over and over again. Trying to keep myself calm, and act normal, even though my brain was freaking out.
"Well... Of course we do! But I am not going to lie to you, it is not like the internet at my school, it is very slow, and you probably cant call people on it, it takes me several days to update my games." He said to me. I looked at the kid, and then I nodded to him.
At least it was wifi, and a lot of the games that came out nowadays took a long time to update even with good wifi so I was not all that worried about it. It was my lucky day I suppose, I would have internet, and I was sure I would still be able to text or call someone.
After a few moments, of me not responding to the kid, he just shook his head at me, and then he closed the window, and then locked it up, as if I was going to be able to open up to window and fit through it. I was not worried about it, he had every right to be worried however.
I sat there on the front porch for quite a bit longer, thinking about what it was that I should do next. I was not sure if I should go and get my phone out of the car, and try to contact someone. I was pretty sure that it was too late at night at this point to try to get some help.
I should probably just wait until it was the morning, that would probably be the best time of the day to try and get some help. I also realized that I had not asked the kid for the password. Hell... They probably did not have a password, I doubt that someone would try to come to their place to steal their wifi.
I just sat there for a bit longer, just staring at the truck, thinking that I may as well just go ahead and get my phone from out of the truck, I could at least play some games on it I was sure. Maybe play some clash of clans, or go look at some Wattpad and read a couple of books.
I just did not have time to get myself in to a book at the moment, so it was just a bit hard for me to do that. I shook my head, and then I got up from the chair. I was bored, I could at least watch some youtube, maybe in low quality while I was waiting for the kids parents to come back.
I began to walk over to my truck, and blinked a couple times, as it was fairly dark at the moment, but I could see something driving down the highway in the distance. They did not have their lights on, so it was fairly hard to see it.
I shook my head however, and I just kept on going to my truck, as I saw the vehicle get closer and closer to me. I squinted my eyes, as I saw it drive right past me, and it slowed down, turning itself right into the driveway that I had just walked across.
As it drew closer to me, I then realized that it was the same truck that I had seen come across me on the road not too long ago. They had a bunch of animals in it, and they were the ones that had those creepy smiles. I whispered to myself...
"Oh... God..."