Chapter 42: Goodnight Kid

The meal was not the best, or at least not nearly as good at the breakfast that they had made just this morning. I had to assume that it was because the breakfast was fresh, and this had been sitting in the fridge the last couple of days.
I was not going to complain about it at all how ever, as most days I ate food that I bought at a gas station. Some days as well, I would get some thing at a restaurant, but that was usually when I was going through a big city, which was kind of rare for me, as I spent a lot of my tine driving through the mid west part of the U.S.
I shook off all of those thoughts, as I finished off the meal that I had eaten. I was not sure what to do, as the rest of them were still eating. I did not want to get up from the table, and walk away, as I was worried that it would be a bit suspicious to Pat. I could tell that he did not trust me at all yet.
He had good reason to as well, as I did not want to be a part of this. I still knew that I had to do my best to pretend that I did. I closed my eyes for a a little while, as I did my best to try to shake off all of the thoughts that were flying through my head at the current moment.
I was not sure what to do, but I knew that I had plenty of time to think it through in the night, or even the next few days at that as well. I did not want to be here for any longer though, as I felt sick, as to the fact that I had technically just joined a cult.
I wanted to get out of here as soon as it seemed like I had the chance to. I knew that my truck would not work, and I also knew that they would not fix it at this point either, as all that it meant was that it would be a free chance for me to get out of this, and I could already tell that Pat did not trust me with that at all.
I was not sure why he was so worried, even if I did get out. I felt like I kind of understood though, as I remembered that I had in fact recorded it, as I had left my phone on the bed. I felt like I should not have done that, but at the same time, I at least trusted these people not to take it.
It was clear that they did not know all that much about technology, besides the fact that they had a TV, for their son. I also knew that their son had not a clue about the fact that they were a part of a cult as well. Hell... Not just the fact that they were a part of the cult, but they were the leaders of it as well.
I shook my head, as I knew that I could think of a way out, later how ever, as it felt like my brain was kind of dead at the moment, due to the fact that this was a lot to take in all at once. I closed my eyes for a little bit longer, as I did my best to shake off all of those thoughts in my head.
It seemed to do a good job, until the fact that I heard a utensil drop on the table, as it just about scared the life out of me, as I opened my eyes right away, and I nearly fell out of my chair too. Luckily none of them seemed to notice it at all, thankfully enough for me.
I looked as to what it had been, as I realized that the wife, Ashley, had just finished her meal, as she had dropped her fork in to the bowl, as if she had made the loud noise on purpose, to get the attention to all of the people that were at the table, on to her.
She did a good job at it as well, as it seemed like we were all looking at her, as me and the kid, Braden, looked to be a bit confused with what was going on at the moment. I saw that she did not look to be too happy, which I was not too sure as to why that could be so.
Maybe it was the fact that she was a part of a cult. I shook off those thoughts though, as I was fairly sure at this point, that these people liked being in a cult. It was a bit sick to me, as I wondered as to what had happened in these peoples life, to get them to the point, as to where the were praising, and giving sacrifices to Satan.
It felt a bit strange to me, as to the word of sacrifice, being used. It felt like it was an evil word, but at the same time too, I also knew God had made Adam and Eve give him sacrifices, with animals and such, when they had been in the garden of Eden.
I did not know all that much about the bible, but my father had told me that, as he had said that was where the cults had started from in the first place, as a sacrifice was typically what Satan did to people. It was a lot of the reason that a lot of those types of people, believed that God was actually Satan.
I shook of all of those thoughts, as I saw that both Ashley and Pat, were staring each other down. I was not sure what was going on, but I also remembered that I little while ago, they were getting in to a bit of a few arguments, and it did not seem that they were getting along at all right now.
I was not going to choose a side, as I just wanted to be left out of all of this, as I just closed my eyes, and dipped my head to the ground, at the same time too. I felt like Ashley might be making a bit of a mistake, as it felt like Pat would kill her, with out feeling any sort of remorse for what he had done.
I let out a bit of a soft sigh to my self, as I just so badly wanted to get out of here. I hoped that when I went to sleep tonight, I would wake up, and all of it would have just been a dream. After all, I had in fact, been having some strange dreams as of late.
I was fairly certain that this was not a dream, though there had been a few very strange things that had happened to me. All of this felt way to real for it to be a dream, and I had never had a dream like that before. Also, the fact that I was thinking this was a dream, told me that it was not.
Even in some of the most scary, or most unreal dreams that I had ever had, I not once had told my self when I had been in the dream, that I was in a dream. It was as if my brain, in the dream state, refused to believe that any of what was going on, could possibly be a dream.
I shook off those thoughts at the same time, as I lifted my head up, as I heard Pat begin to speak. I was not sure if he was speaking to me, or if he was speaking to his wife, and his child. I looked at him, as I listened to what it was that he had to say any ways, to see if it was important.
"Braden, Anthony, you go up stairs... Its almost 10, and both of you have to get up early tomorrow... We have a big day planned." He said to the both of us. I tilted my head a little bit, as I was a bit confused as to what it was that he had meant by what he had just said.
I knew that it could not be any thing that could be too dangerous, or scary at all, if he was adding his son in to it. I knew that he was over defensive with his son, which I did not blame him for it, even though the real thing that he needed to protect his son with, was the fact that he led a cult.
I did not say any thing about it however though, as I just nodded to Pat. Pat was paying me no sort of attention at all, how ever, as I saw that he had his eyes on his wife once again, as it seemed like they had got in to a staring contest, just as they had a few moments ago.
I blinked a few times, as I knew that I needed to not be worried about it at all, as I knew that I needed to be worried about the fact that I had to keep my self safe. I looked at Braden, as I saw him nod to me, as he got up from the table, and he began to walk across the kitchen, and over to the sink.
He dropped his dish in to the sink, as he then began to walk out of the room. At first, I had thought that he was going to go watch some more Disney, but it was not the case at all how ever, as I then heard his foot steps, as he continued to go up the stairs.
I too put my dish in to the sink, but just in case I upset Pat, I began to wash it off at the very least. I then walked in to the living room, as I looked at the steps that were in front of me, at the exact same time as well, as I then began to head up them, such as Braden had done no less than a minute before now.
I thought about staying half way, to try to listen in on what it was that Pat was going to say to Ashley, as I was sure that it was going to be some harsh words, but at the same time too, I also knew that it was none of my business, as I kept on going all the way up the steps.
I saw that Braden's bed room light was still on, which told me that he was awake. I did not worry about him at all though, as I turned my head over to the bath room, as I realized how badly I needed to take a piss again. It felt like that every time I got in to the shower, as it was as if I was drinking the shower water.
I opened the toilet lid, and then I began to piss in it. The piss was very yellow as well, as I realized that I had not drank all that much water during the day. I felt like I should try and get some from the tap, but at the same time as well, I was not so sure if the tap water at a place like this, was good for me to drink.
I grabbed a wad of toilet paper, such as every time I did, when I took a piss, and I began to wipe of the seat, for any that I might have missed when I had taken a piss. I then closed the lid shut, and then I walked over to the door that was in front of me, and I unlocked it, and then opened it, so that I could get out of the bath room.
Once I was out as well, I then headed over to the guest bed room, that I had slept in the night before, so that I too could get some rest. I did not realize just how tired I was, until the fact that I had thought about getting some sleep. It made sense as well I suppose, as I knew that I had just had quite the busy day, compared to a normal day.
I also knew at the same time too, that I had not slept all that well last night either, as I had not slept good at all over the last few days. I shivered, as I knew that I did not need to worry about it all that much, as I was about half way through the hall way, and over to the bed room, when I heard a voice begin to speak to me.
It was a bit of a quiet voice, as it had seemed to come from right up behind me. I started to freak out, as I did my best to not yell for help at the same time too. This place was really starting to freak me out, as I so badly wanted to get out of here as soon as possible, at all costs.
I heard the voice begin to speak up again, much louder than before, as I then realized that it had just been Braden, and I had been to paranoid about it. I could tell that he was speaking to me in a bit of tired voice, and a tone that seemed to be a little bit hush.
At first I thought that he was trying to get the attention of his dad from down the stairs, but I then realized that he was talking to me, as I heard my name in his voice. I was a bit confused by it, at first, as I was a bit worried on whether it was a good idea or not for me to head over to his room, as I was not sure how Pat would take to that.
I heard him speak to me though this time, as I heard fully what it was that he had said, as this time I made the decision that I was going to head over to his room, after what it was that he had said to me. I let out a sigh, as I got closer to his room, so that I could hear what it was that he had to say to me.
"Anthony... Can you turn off the lights for me?" He asked of me, as soon as I got up to the door way. I blinked a few times, as I turned my head over to the switch that was on the wall, at the exact same time as well. I nodded to the kid, as I began to turn off the lights, as just as I had done so in fact, I heard the kid continue to speak to me. "My dad usually does it... But he and Ashley are getting in a fight again... Not going to both with him... Goodnight though."
I looked at the kid, in the dark, as I thought on what it was that he had just said to me as well. It seemed like it was not just me thankfully, as to the fact that he had said that they were getting in to a fight again, meaning that it was not the first time that they did not agree on the same sort of thing.
I shook my head at the same time too, as I remembered as to what it was that they were arguing about in the first place. It was the fact that she was making a couple of mistakes, that did not go by the rules of Pats cult. Luckily I did not seem to be breaking any of the rules at all.
It was not like I was trying to though, as I was careful with my words, as I did not want to say any thing to either of them, that might trigger them. I blinked a few times, as I thought on the fact that this could be the perfect time to tell the kid that his father was the leader of a cult.
I was not sure if the kid even knew what a cult was in the first place at all. I also was not so sure if it was a good idea either, as I doubt the kid would believe a word that I would say about his parents. He would probably tell his father about it as well, and I really did not want to take that risk.
In the end, the kid would have to make his own decision on what it was that he was going to do. I was not going to try to stop him, even if he was in fact being brain washed in to it. I shook my head, as I shook those thoughts off, and I stared at the kid through the darkness in the room, as I began to speak to him as well.
"Goodnight kid..."