Chapter 16: Both

I looked at the kid for a few moments. I then shivered a little bit, which I was not quite sure what that was all about. I just had a bad feeling about what he had just said. I was not going to lie, the kid seemed fairly innocent, but I was not too sure about his parents.
All of the conspiracies that my father had told me seemed to come back into my head at the exact instance. It reminded me of a few memories that I had quite a long time ago. The nights that my mother would tuck me into bed like I was still a young kid... Even though I was nearly 12 at that point, it always made things feel a bit better.

I looked at my mother, as she put the warm blanket up so that it warmed my whole body. I loved her so much, and she always seemed to make my life so much better as well. I hated the fact that my mother and my father fought so much as well.
My father was not the best father in the world, I was not going to lie to myself on that. I still loved my father though, and it hurt me a great deal to see my father and mother fight. I always learned in school that the husband usually hit the wife whenever they got in fights.
I was not so sure if that was true or not however. It seemed when my parents got into fights, it was a lot more of a verbal disagreement than my father hitting my mom. That is a lot of the reason that I did not tell people at my school about my parents fighting.
They would tell me that it was not them actually fighting. If they fought, than it would be fist to fist... At least that is what the teacher seemed to act like it always was. The videos that they showed us as well, it was always the woman that was getting hit by the man as well...
My father had physically hurt my mother one time however. I think it might have been on accident however. I was not sure though, I usually hid in my room whenever my parents fought with each other.
That one night, my father had shoved my mother down the stairs, and she had been crying in pain, and begging for help. I had nearly gotten the phone on the wall and called 911, but my father stopped me, and my mother got up fairly quickly as well.
A bit later as well, since we had a bit of a smaller house, which you would not think would possibly be true for a 2 bedroom house, I heard my parents then begin to fight again. Though it was a weird way this time on the way that they were fighting.
Now that I think about it, it was a few years ago, to this day, it began to make sense as it seemed like they might not have been actually fighting. I heard my mother yelling to my father loudly "Deeper baby! Yes! Oh, Yes!" and based off of some of the strange things my friends at school had told me, I had to guess that they were having sex with each other.
Either way, it seemed a bit strange to be thinking about this right now, as my mother was tucking me into my bed at the exact moment. I shook my head and then I noticed that my mother had a big smile, and I smiled back at her, which seemed to light hurt up a bit, due to the fact that my parents had been fighting all day this Sunday.
I loved both of my parents a lot, and it hurt me quite a bit to see them treat each other like that. I knew a lot of it was because my father always told my mother about all of his new theories, and she would laugh it off. It would get him fairly upset and it would get them into a heated disagreement.
My mother then moved a bit closer to me, and she kissed the top of my forehead. I did not really like it when she did that, but I was not going to complain about her showing her love and affection to me at all as well.
I kept my smile with her, though I could see that she had something eating her up from the inside of her head. I was not sure what it was at the moment, and I did not want to push her any further. I knew that she had a bad day at work, that was more than likely what it was.
I closes my eyes for a few moments, I was a bit tired, and I felt like I was nearly about to pass out. Then suddenly something came into my head about a thing that my father had told me about not too long ago. I shivered thinking about it, and I opened my eyes back up.
My mother was no longer there, and I looked over to my doorway, to see her about to walk out of the bedroom, and turn off my lights, so that I could fall asleep for the night. I began to freak out a bit, a lot due to the fact that I did not want to be alone at the exact moment.
My mom turned her head back over to me, and a smile cracked on her face once again. It made me feel a slight bit better, just in the exact moment at least. I still was not fully ready for her to just walk out of my bedroom for the night though.
We sat there for a few moments, as she reached her hand to turn off the light in my room for the night. I looked around my bedroom, half expecting there to be drones all over to place, watching me from every single corner in my bedroom.
Right before she turned off the light however, she did stop herself to say one last thing to me before she left me to get some sleep for the night. I payed full attention to her, a lot of the fact due to there not really being anything to distract me away from her. I looked at her in the eyes, as she began to speak to me, quite a bit softly.
"Goodnight Anthony... Don't let the bed bugs bite. You sleep well, and I will get you up in the morning for school... Okay buddy?" She said to me. I looked at her for a few moments, still a bit scared for her to leave me alone in the room.
I did finally nod to her however, to let her know that I was paying attention to what she had just said to me. She looked back at me for a few moments, then she gave me a bit of a goofy grin. I grinned back at her one last time, before the inevitable happened.
Just when I thought about it as well, she then turned the lights off to the room. I looked around, thinking I would see, or I would hear something flying around the room with me. I did not hear anything however, I closed my eyes for a few moments however, trying to shake all of that from out of my head.
I knew that my mother was still in the room with me as well too, as I had not heard her very loud footsteps walk out of the bedroom, and then walk down the stairs. I opened my eyes, and saw her in the corner, as I saw her looking at me a bit sadly, which I was not sure what it was about.
Once she noticed me looking back at her though, she then turned her head away from me, as if she did not want to see me looking back at her. I then began to hear her footsteps finally as she began to walk out of the room that I was sleeping in.
Just before she got too far away from me however, I whispered one last thing to her, that I knew she could hear as well. As I made it just loud enough for her to hear from the hallway, but not too loud as to where it might vibrate through out the house.
"Mom... Dad told me that there were drones watching us in the house... Do you think that is true?" I said to her, loud enough so that only she could hear me speak to her. There was nothing but silence for quite a few moments, as the room suddenly began to get a little cold.
I wondered if she had heard me speak to her. I then realized that she had heard me talk, as she had suddenly stopped walking in the hallway and down the stairs. She was just sitting there, thinking about what it was that I had just said to her.
It was actually a bit of a surprise to me, as she normally just took what my father said with a grain of salt, and she normally denied what he said to us. This time, it did not seem to be the case for some odd reason or another. Did she believe what my father had told to me as well?
Surely not right? Surely it was just some sort of joke... There was no way that the government had a bunch of drones watching us, and listening to us. It could not be true... How could they be listening to us at all times? How many people were there in the government?
I sat there for quite a bit longer, as I wondered if she had just magically disappeared... My father had told me about all this crazy witch craft as well. Surely my mother was not into any of that though... Right?
However, after another long period of time, I finally heard the voice of my mother speak up to me, as it was not from on my room. She was speaking to me from the hallway, as I could tell she just wanted to go downstairs, and get some rest for the night.
"Anthony... What do you think the answer to that is?" She said to me, in a tone of voice, that was almost like a whisper. I wondered if she had even spoken to me in the first place, for just a few moments. I knew that she had, but it had been so quite, I still was just not so sure.
I sat there for a few moments, as I was not so sure how to respond to what she had just said to me. It was a bit confusing as to the question that she had just asked me. I sat there for a few moments, as I know she had not walked away, and she was just patiently waiting for my response.
I looked around at the room for a few moments, expecting to once again see a drone in the corner, as if I would see a small little light lighting up the room a little bit, so that it could see me through all of the dark that was in the room that I was currently in.
I shook my head, and then I turned my head back over to the doorway, though I knew that I was not going to see the face of my mother there, it still made me feel a slight bit better, and it made me feel a bit more safe as well. I then finally decided of how to respond to what my mother had just asked of me, as I spoke up to her.
"I guess not... But he seems so convincing when he tells me things like that." I said to her. She sat there in silence for quite a few moments. I could tell that she was trying to think of a good response to what I had just said to her.
I did not blame her for it either, I knew that she was tired, from a long day of work for one. It made sense as to how her brain was not functioning properly at all right now. After just a few more moments however, she finally thought of a good response to what I had just said to her.
"Your father is very convincing indeed, he convinced me into falling in love with him." She said to me. I sat there for a few moments, thinking about what she had just said. The way that she had said it as well, and the tone in her voice too, something did not seem right.
I did not know what it was. I did my best to think about it, though I could not wrap my head around what it might possibly be. I closed my eyes for a few moments, hoping that it might help me gain some thoughts about what she had just said.
Suddenly all of the pieces came together, and I wondered how I had forgotten about something that I had seen a bit earlier. It now made sense as to why my mother had just said that to me, the way that she had said it as well.
My mother had clearly given up on waiting for me to respond to what she had just told me, or she had thought that enough had been said to me in the first place as well. She then began to walk down the hallway a bit, but I said one last thing that stopped her in her tracks as well.
"Mom... I found something on the kitchen table, you and dad are getting divorced? I found the divorce settlement papers..." I said to her. It seemed to do a fairly good job at stopping her in her tracks as well. As I did not know how I had forgotten about that.
I had been thinking about asking about it all day, up until the point where my mom had come home, late at night, just as she always tended to do. My father always thought that she must be cheating on him, but I knew that she just had to work a lot harder than most other people.
My father seemed to get things a lot easier, as he got his disability check, and he did not work at all. I still did not know what he had a disability for, no one had ever told me about that... I shook my head though, as my mind came back onto the present.
It was still silent in the room that I was in, and just as I thought my mother was just going to completely ignore what I had just said, and just continue on walking down the stairs so that she could get some sleep for the night, she finally responded to me.
"Yes... Me and your father are in fact getting divorced... Do not worry about it though, you will still get to spend time with me and him both..."