Prologue

I looked at my mother and father, once again they were leaving for the night. The always told me that they were going to sell their eggs and get some new chickens, but something never seemed right about that to me. I shivered, and then shook my head, it was best not too think too deep into it I suppose.
My father always told me to never think to deep, or it will darken my mind. The way he said that seemed a bit strange to me, but maybe it was a part of what he had just said to me. I was thinking to deep into it once again.
I watched as my parents moved the eggs into the truck and then they got in to the passenger and drivers side. I watched as they rolled away, I always asked if I could go with them, but every time they would look at me fairly upset and would tell me no.
I never understood what was wrong with it, they would not tell me, besides when they said, "its just not a place for kids." Every time my father said something like that there was some weird look on his face that I could not quite understand.
They drove onto the small little highway and then they were gone, I looked at it sadly and then I walked over to sit down on my bed. I wanted to do something, we had no games, no toys, we had books but they were a bit scary to me and my father said to not play with them.
I did not understand why they treated me like a little boy still, I was 14... I shook my head though and then I stared at the cieling, I was not tired yet, it was, what? Maybe 9? It was the summer, I didn't have school right now so I was a bit alone.
My parents told me that it was better to be alone, it was a bit sad to me but I suppose that they might be true. I had gotten heartbroken over a girl last year. It had hurt me badly... I shook my head once again, I should not be thinking about her.
Everyone in these parts all knew what happened to her, well not exactly I suppose, but she had been found with her limbs cracked and her body bruised, and she was naked. I wanted to feel bad, but I could not... Besides for her family they were pretty cool people.
I closed my eyes for just a few moments, but it seemed that just as I did I heard a knocking on the door. It kind of scared me, I was tempted to go get my dads shotgun. This was not normal, we lived in the middle of nowhere in Kansas, why would someone be knocking on my door?
It obviously wasn't my parents, they had a key, and I would have heard them coming into the driveway. Maybe someone needed help... I was tempted to just stay in my room, but I finally decided to walk to the door after the 3rd knock.
I looked through our weird looking peephole, it always seemed strange to me, it was green, and I could see a little eye in the middle of it. I went to a friends house once and theirs was completely different, a lot more normal for sure.
I saw a man, but he did not look like he was here to cause any sort of harm. I still was not willing to trust him right away. You never know, how nice a person could look, but how evil they were on the inside, another thing my parents had taught me.
I looked behind the guy and I saw on the road a very large truck with its headlights still on. For some reason it was parked on the side of the highway right beside our place. That was a first to me, I had never even seen any cars hardly ever even go on the highway.
"Can I help you?" I asked the guy. He stood back a bit surprised that someone finally answered the door. He could tell that I was just a kid but I could tell he did not think anything of it. I could see that he was a bit tired and hungry though, and he was shivering a bit even though I knew that it was not cold.
"Yes... Sorry to be a bother, my truck just shut down right beside your house, I have no way of fixing it and nowhere to stay for the night, I was just wondering if you all could let me in." He responded to me. I blinked a few times then I closed the small latch on the peephole.
I was still not willing to trust him quite yet, and I felt like it might be best to just let him stay out. But he had nowhere to go if his truck was shut down, I knew my parents would not want me to do that to the poor guy who looked no older than 30.
He would be stuck at our place no matter what until he could find a way to fix up his truck. I shook my head, maybe I was making a bit of a dumb decision, but I would let my parents choose where he had to go.
"Just stay on the front porch til my parents get back." I said to the guy. He grunted and then I heard a bit or shuffling and then I heard him sit down on one of the chairs that was on our front porch.
I nodded gratefully and then I made sure the door was locked before I headed back to my room.