70

Theo needed no distractions. His coach had taken him to Manchester himself just to ensure he made it. To ensure he was in the right head space. To ensure he knew how important this match was. He believed Theo could make it big time and he want going to let whatever was going on in his head stop that.

Theo had crashed in his hotel room the moment he was handed the keys. He was beyond tired. He didn't even bother to check his phone, he knew Ollie and Elijah could take care of themselves and his car.

As soon as he woke up he went for a jog. He didn't know where he was running to but he knew he needed to everything to get himself ready for today. He needed to clear his head. Everything had to go well today. Today was an important day. Today was the match.

One of the most important matches of his life. Yes, he was only in first year but if he did well at this point, premier leguae teams could already have their eye on him and his name in their books. This would be such a big step in his journey to take football seriously. He needed this.

Maybe then his parents would support him. Maybe then his parents would pay attention to his 'hobby'. Maybe then his sister would speak to him more, reflecting on the past when they were younger and she was there the first time he scored a goal against the other team when there was a minute on the clock and she was his biggest supporter. Now she rarely spoke to him. He would only see her in passing, coming out of her room to go out with her friends again the next day. He would mention he had a match coming up and she would simply say she'd try to make it but in the end she was to busy and never showed.

She always used to love watching his matches. She attended every match she could. She always cheered him on from the crowd. She always believed in him. Well until she started going out with her ex. He would purposely preoccupy her or make plans with her just so she couldn't go to Theo's matches. Ever since him he never got to look into the crowd and see his older sister cheering him on. He never got hear her somewhat motivational words before he went to play a match.

She started to completely forget about him. And then when her and her ex finally broke up, Theo told her that he got accepted into uni on a football scholarship and he was going to now take it after two years of pushing it back and she only managed to muster up a half smile, but didn't say anything. After that he left her to her own devices and she just continued going out with her friends and not paying attention to him.

Theo shook his head away from the thoughts. He couldn't be thinking about anything other than the match today. He couldn't be dwelling on the past. No distractions he repeated in his head as he pushed one foot in front to the other on the pavement. He didn't even realise his phone had died a long time ago. He kept pushing himself though.

In no time he had tired himself out and made his way back to the hotel to get his stuff and head to the stadium. He had a shower, ate breakfast and went on his way. He decided to leave his phone in his room charging because he wouldn't need it for the rest of the day. No one ever really texted him so there was no need for it. He didn't need it in the way. He didn't need the distraction. Today was everything. Today was his day. He needed today to go well.

Theo began to do mini drills with the football across the pitch as he passed the time. He needed every last bit of practice before the match. He had done several laps, practised his dribbling, free kicks and even some tricks.

Just as he started to practice his penalties he heard his name being called. At first he thought it was just in his head because he didn't think anyone would be at the pitch this early, but he soon looked up when his name was repeated several times. He looked into the direction of it and saw it was his coach beckoning him over. He quickly stopped what he was doing and jogged over.

"Alright Theo, I can see you're taking this seriously, which is good. I just wanted to say I'm proud of you so don't fuck this up. I drove you personally to this event so I hope you do well"

Theo furrowed his brows at his coach's speech. He was confused as to whether it was a warning or meant to be motivational, either way he was happy his coach took a chance on him, despite his two year delay into coming to uni.

"I want you to have an eye on the ball at all times, remember, teamwork and communication is key and don't try too hard to be a show off with your fancy skills, just show them what they'll be missing out on if they don't get you on their team in the future"

"We're here for three days, and don't even think about sneaking off after the match to do god knows what. Please just make these three days count" He stressed

"Thanks coach" Theo smiled

"The boys should be coming out of the changing room now so I want you to continue your penalties and then we'll do a bit of a warm up and then it's the match"

Theo nodded in response as his coach shooed him away to get started. He realised that the time must of gotten away from him and the match was going to be happening soon. It was time to actually do something for his future. A future He dreamed of. A future he once pictured alone, but that picture was changing. He wanted more. All because of a stubborn, five foot five, argumentative girl. A girl he didn't even know the last name of. A girl he never thought would fuck with his head like she does. A girl he actually cared for. A girl who was going to be his.