Chapter 5

The past couple of days have gone by slowly. My mother thought it be best for us to remain in Republic City after Kuvira had taken over the Earth Kingdom. I had assumed that I would be spending most of my time hanging around with Mako and Wu however, my mother had insisted I joined and offered my thoughts in meetings with the other world leaders. I don't understand why she had insisted if I'm honest, she usually tells me what to do and how to act however, she is adamant that I speak on behalf of the Fire Nation rather than her. It really doesn't make sense to me, but it is helping distract me from not being with Bolin. My mother and grandfather weren't best pleased when I told them that he had left with Kuvira, but after I explained to them why he left they understood. We all know how much Bolin cares about people, the three of us had seen it when he spent seven months in the Fire Nation, and it makes me proud to call him my boyfriend. I just hope Kuvira really does care about people like Bolin says.

I sit on my bed holding my bag that my mother had given me. I slowly open it and take out the small black box I have been carrying around me with me for a year. I sigh as I stare at it feeling nothing but conflicted about it. I had always been so sure about what I wanted when it comes to Bolin, well, maybe not to start with, but after I realised I loved him I have been sure about what I want. But now I'm not too sure. I want to spend my life with him, I want him to be by my side so I can hold him and lean on him when I need him. But this whole long distance thing is really starting to hurt me too much.

Tears fill my eyes slightly as I run my hands over the smooth corners of the box. I love Bolin, I truly love him with all of my heart. But sometimes I wonder that maybe I met the right person at the wrong time. These past two years I've been telling myself that one day we will be able to be together, but each day it's getting harder to convince myself. I'm starting to think that I'm just setting myself up for more pain. We're not going to be able to be together. I need to let him go, I just don't know how. Maybe I'm selfish, but he is the best thing that has ever happened to me, I just can't seem to convince myself to end things.

A knock sounds on my door and I look up from the small box. I quickly wipe my eyes and catch my reflection to make sure I look presentable before walking to the door. I open the door and feel my eyes widen when I see Mako standing there with Wu by his side. He smiles at me and Wu gives me a look.

"Have you been crying?" Wu asks and I chuckle slightly, clutching onto the small black box tighter than before, praying that they haven't seen it.

"What, no, I just had a nap. What's up guys?" I say quickly as I rub my eyes again.

"Korra's back and we're going to meet up with her and Asami. You're coming with us." Mako says as he grabs my empty hand and pulls me out of the room.

"Wha-" I start, but I don't finish my sentence as Mako starts talking again.

"You've been doing so much work, we've hardly caught up." Mako says continuing to hold my hand so I have to join him in meeting up with Korra and Asami. It's not that I don't want to meet up with them, I really do, but I am not in the right mind to hold a happy conversation with them.

"I know, my mother has been asking me to attend more meetings since Kuvira has taken over." I say and Wu scoffs from the other side of Mako.

"Taken over my kingdom. And I can't believe your boyfriend and brother went with her." Wu says in a sad tone. I feel Mako squeeze my hand as he hits Wu's arm and I feel my heart sink. My eyes drop to my hand holding the small black box and I sigh to myself. I really wish I could have met the others tomorrow, or later at least.

"Wu, can you drop it for now?" Mako hisses to him.

"How can I drop that she stole my coronation, and my kingdom, and your brother and Ulazu's boyfriend. It's the worse thing ever." He cries dramatically. I purse my lips as I stare at the box for a second longer before lifting my gaze again.