Chapter 19

I stand next to Bolin anxiously as we all wait for Korra to return. Mako and Asami stand with us, but like Bolin and I, they say nothing as we stand together. I'm not sure what to expect when Korra joins us and that terrifies me. The others have seen Kuvira's weapon first hand whereas I haven't and it's not that I don't trust them and their response to it, I just don't like being scared of something I haven't seen. It doesn't help that Bolin has been holding my hand tighter than he ever has before.

The door to the warehouse slams open revealing an angry looking Avatar. I lick my lips as Bolin clings onto me even tighter.

"Raiko surrendered. It's down to us." Korra says as she marches into the room.

"How are we supposed to fight an entire army, a mecha-giant, and that crazy weapon?" Bolin cries out. I wince slightly at his death grip, but I try to cover up my pain. I don't want him to feel bad about it.

"We can't, but maybe we can cripple it," Asami says, drawing my attention away from my lover and onto her, "Zhu Li, when you were spying on Kuvira, did you learn anything about that metal monster?" She asks. As I turn to the woman in question I notice the airbenders gather around to listen along with Suyin and her twin sons.

"I had no idea they were even building it." Zhu Li admits sadly, making Varrick roll his eyes.

"Guess Baatar Jr. is a better inventor than I thought. Don't tell him I said that." He grumbles. I let out an involuntary sigh. Still, four years on, not sure whether I like this guy. But Bolin seems to adore this man, for some unknown reason, and so I do my best to wear a fake smile around him. Though the eccentric man is truly making it hard for me right now.

"Wait, Baatar Jr. built it. He'll know how to take it down." Korra says with a confident smirk. I frown slightly and look towards the door hoping that my team will run in. I can't get myself involved with this plan she's cooking up inside her mind, and I just know I'll want to if I hang around any longer. "I say we capture him and get him to talk." Korra carries on. Yep, I knew I didn't want to hear that.

"I should go, I can't get myself involved in this." I say slowly. I try and pry my hand out of Bolin's grip, but as I move his grip tightens more and more making me audibly gasp in pain.

"You don't need to get involved. Ple-please just stay until your team get here." Bolin begs. I lock eyes with him and I feel my heart ache at the vulnerability in his eyes. I don't know why he's acting like this recently, but I've decided I don't like it. He's the confident, optimistic one out of the two of us, both of us can't be anxiety-ridden messes.

"I forgot that you're no fun, Princess Government." Varrick huffs. But I ignore him choosing to put all of my attention on my boyfriend.

"I'll stay until they get here." I say quietly to him, shooting him a small smile before moving closer to his side. He releases a sigh of relief and brings our intertwined hands to his lips, pressing a kiss against the back of my hand before lowering them again.

"I know it's a longshot, but it's the only chance we have. If we don't-" Korra starts, but Master Tenzin cuts her off.

"Korra, I'm in. We'll need a stealth team of airbenders to get in and out of Baatar's ship unnoticed." He says and my eyes widen ever so slightly. I'm surprised that he is going to go along with Korra's plan, but then again, it's clear we're in a dire situation.

"Tenzin, Bumi, Jinora, Kai – let's get moving." Korra says receiving nods from the airbenders. Meelo looks at them all with a sad expression before his gaze lands on the Avatar. He pouts slightly and I can't help but feel bad for the poor kid.

"What about me?" He asks sadly.

"Sorry buddy, but this mission counts on everyone being as silent as possible. And your farts are just too much of a wild card." Korra says gently to the young airbender.