Chapter 11

Bolin, Lin and I sit in the saddle on the back of Juicy whilst Opal flies us towards Zaofu. Juicy really isn't the cutest flying bison out there, and he always seems to have a trail of snot coming from his nose, but it doesn't really matter, as long as we can get to Zaofu quickly and without my mother or anyone else knowing I'm here. I've changed into a long sleeve black hoodie and Opal had given me a black bandana to wrap around my face. I was feeling more confident about not being seen now, but Bolin was still worried. So worried that he took out my hair tie and had braided it into two long strands. I've never worn my hair like this before and I'm surprised about how good it looks. And I'm also surprised at how amazing Bolin is at doing my hair.

By the time we reach Zaofu, the sun had started to rise. My nerves about everything hit me again as Juicy begins to land on the hill looking over Zaofu. I take a deep breath and lift my hood up so that it's covering my head before we all jump off Juicy. I race after Lin towards the edge and I crouch down as I look over to the city. I feel Bo crouch beside me and I turn my head to him. He looks back at me, giving me a look to tell me that I can still turn back if I want to. I purse my lips as I keep my eyes on him for a second longer before releasing a small breath.

"Kuvira's torn down all of the domes. Why would she do that?" Opal asks from the other side of Lin. Lin lifts up a telescope at looks down to the city and I see her bare her teeth as she look through.

"She's got a whole battalion of troops stationed there. There's no way we'll be able to stop anything useful from up her. We'll have to go in for a closer look." Lin says as she turns to us.

"Don't bother." A voice says behind us causing us all to turn around. My eyes widen as they land on an elderly woman walking towards us. "All the prisoners have been moved." She says. Lin stands up slowly, her eyes never leaving the woman before us.

"Uh, hey, Chief." Lin mutters. The woman smiles slightly.

"Hey, Chief." She replies. Chief? Wait, is this...

"Grandma Toph!" Opal cries as she runs over to the elderly woman, hugging her tightly. I stare at them in shock and I naturally look over to Bolin who is in a similar state of shock I am, though it's clear that he's more excited than I am about seeing Toph. No one has seen her in years, I can't even remember the last time my grandfather has seen her.

"You were only up to my waist the last time we were together." Toph says.

"Oh, man! Oh, I can't! This can't be happening!" Bolin shouts excitably. I smile at his enthusiasm, but I soon see Toph scowl at Bo's reaction to seeing her.

"What? Do you have to pee or something?" Toph asks sounding completely uninterested in what's happening.

"No, well, now maybe. You're my hero!" Bo says as he takes a step forward to Toph. "My name is Bolin." He introduces. Toph nods in his direction before turning towards me.

"You, who are you?" She asks.

"Oh, I'm Ulazu, Lord Zuko's granddaughter." I say. Toph's frown leaves her and she lets out a small laugh.

"Great, another uptight member of the royal family." She says. I cross my arms over my chest and frown at her, but I know she can't see me.

"I am not uptight." I say and Toph laughs loudly.

"You referred to Zuko as Lord Zuko. He's your grandpa, geez, let loose a bit." She says with a laugh. My lips part as I stare at her.

"I can let loose." I mutter defensively. I look to my side at Bolin who looks at me with a small expression. "Right, Bo?" I say. 

"Y-yeah, I know you can." Bo stammers slightly which causes me to lift my brow at his answer. He really sounds convincing there. I roll my eyes and huff before looking back at Toph. I know I'm not uptight, I don't need their opinion of me.