Chapter 33

"Ulazu, I don't like this." My mother's voice sounds through the radio. Team Avatar sit around the radio on the ship we had boarded for the tour. I had thought it was smart to inform my mother about everything, about us leaving for the tour now, and about the first rumours of the terrorist group threatening my life. I'm not scared about the risk of my life if I'm honest, I'm confident that I'll be able to deal with the situation, but everyone else seems more concerned. 

"Mother, it's fine. There's no need to worry about it." I say and I look up to see Bolin's deep frown from across the table. 

"No need to worry? Ulazu, you realise there is a group of people trying to kill you?" He says and I sigh leaning my elbows against the table. 

"I am aware," I sigh holding my head in my hands, desperately trying to figure out how to convince everyone that this is the best thing to do. 

"I can contact the air temple and meet you to provide extra support." Tenzin suggests and I shake my head knowing that he can't see. 

"No, I don't want to be drawing any attention to the fact that we know about the terrorist group. I can't remember the last time I was walking around the islands with protection, it would look obvious if the airbenders appear." I say. 

"It's not like she will be without any protection, we're all here and we're not going to let anything happen." Korra says and I smile to her, grateful for her input. It might be enough to put everyone at ease. Being under the Avatar's protection is really the best it'll get. 

"Look, for all we know, this is nothing," I say sitting up a bit more. 

"Sister, Churo would not have gone to such drastic actions if it were nothing. He's our friend," Iroh says and I clench my jaw, a wave of anger hitting me. 

"No, he is not my friend." I snap, my body instantly tensing. 

"Maybe not, but Iroh has a point. It's wrong to think it's nothing if he took actions into his own hands," my grandfather says and I sigh, leaning back into my chair and rubbing my face with my hands. 

"Fine, I'll be sure not to underestimate the situation, but that does not mean I'm delaying this tour." I say and I hear my mother's sigh through the speaker. 

"Ulazu, I want you to understand the seriousness of the situation. If they are to succeed, the nation will fall into anarchy." My mother says and I frown. 

"If they were to succeed, which they won't be, responsibilities will fall onto Iroh. The nation won't fall when I do." I say and I notice Bolin turn away which makes me raise a brow, but I decide to leave it for now, wanting to ask him about it when we're alone.

"I don't think you realise the desolation that will follow your demise," my mother says. There's a moment of silence as my head drops. I don't like having so much pressure on my shoulders, and I don't like how big of an influence I'm supposed to have on people. 

"I am just one person, mother." I say quietly after ten long seconds. 

"Not to our nation. You're the most anticipated Fire Lord in our nation's history." My mother says and I stare at the table. For someone who doesn't want to become Fire Lord in the first place, this is a bit overwhelming. All of these emotions are making it hard for me to breathe and I'm scared that if I stay here I'll let myself become too overwhelmed; I don't want to show any panic.

"Then it's a good thing I'm not delaying the tour then." I say standing up from my seat, "I'll speak with you tomorrow." I say before walking out of the room. My hand finds its way to the wall as I stumble through the corridors, using it to ensure that I don't fall as I control my breathing. I will not fall into a panic. I have known for a while how excited people within all nations have become since my mother announced I would be taking over after her reign. I shouldn't allow this to overwhelm me like it would hearing it for the first time.