Chapter 23

A couple of months have passed since Bamir's funeral and I'm starting to feel like myself again after everything. The days have passed slowly and painfully, and each day Korra would come to visit me in the Air Temple to heal me. Bolin had asked Master Tenzin if we could stay until I had healed, and he kindly offered us a room for however long we would like. Korra's managing to heal me with each session, but my sight is yet to return back to normal. 

Hani visits everyday too and sometimes he stays the night sleeping on the sofa in mine and Bolin's room because he doesn't want to sleep by himself. I never minded him staying with us, in fact, I rather liked him staying with us because it allowed me to make sure that he's okay. I've been having a lot of bad dreams ever since the worst day of my life and every night I have nightmares about the rest of my friends dying. I thought Bolin would get annoyed at Hani constantly being here and my nightly terrors, but he has been amazing. He's been so supportive and caring and I honestly don't know what I'd do without him. I'm so lucky to have him in my life. 

I lie in my bed wrapped in my covers as small tears fall down my cheeks. I'm currently waiting for Korra to arrive for my daily healing session. I don't like when I'm alone because it gives my mind time to think about things I don't want to think about. The bedroom door opens slowly and I lift my head ever so slightly to see Bolin walking in. He holds a glass of water walks towards me, placing it on the bedside table as he reaches me. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave you that long. I saw Pema struggling to bring in the vegetables from the garden so I lent her a hand." Bolin says as he puts a hand to my cheek, wiping away the idle tear. 

"That's okay, my love," I reply with a small smile as I sit up, "I was thinking that I think it's about time we told our families about our engagement." I say and Bolin's eyes widen, a faint smile tugging at his lips. 

"A-are you sure? We don't have to rush into anything until you're ready. We can wait until you're feeling better." Bo says and I let out a small laugh as I look up at the man. There are small dark circles under his eyes from him staying awake with me when I struggle to sleep and I can see a faint shadow brushing against his jawline. I have always wondered what Bolin would look like if he allowed his facial hair to grow though I've never asked him to grow it out. I wasn't sure whether there was a reason he didn't grow it out or not. 

"Yes," I say as I take his hand in mine, "I'm going to be upset about Bamir every day, nothing is going to stop me from feeling the pain of losing him. But you make me happy and you make me forget about the pain. I want to marry you, Bolin." I say honestly. I watch as Bolin's eyes light up from my words and he sits on the bed next to me. He smiles and I am glad he has moved closer to me so that I can see his smile clearly. 

"I want to marry you too, Ulazu." Bo says. I smile back and bring his hand to my lips so that I can place a gently kiss on his knuckles. 

"Then I guess we should tell people we're engaged." I say. Bolin moves his free hand to the side of my face and he pulls me to him, kissing me softly. My eyes flutter shut as his sweet taste touches my lips. Since the battle for Republic City, Bolin only kisses me gently. It's like he's scared that putting too much into the kiss will break me. It makes my heart skip a beat at his caring nature, but sometimes I want more, now being one of those times. I go to deepen our kiss, but before I can a knock sounds on the door and Korra walks in. 

"Sorry if I'm interrupting." Korra apologises as she takes a step into the room. Bo breaks away from the kiss and turns to the Avatar with a smile. 

"No, it's okay," he says as he looks back to me. He places both hands on either shoulder and gently pushes me back so that I'm lying down on the bed. I let out a small sigh, inwardly frowning at the fact that Bolin won't let us make out and I soon feel him move my legs so that I'm comfortable. Korra walks over and pulls up a chair beside my bed which immediately she sits in. I watch as she begins bending water out of the bowl she brought with her and onto my face. Over the past months she had managed to heal all of my burns, but my eyes seem to be taking longer to return to normal. I am forced to close my eyes as the water covers them and straight away I start heatbending so that I can see what's going on.