Chapter 28

We make it back to the palace quickly, quicker than I thought we'd get here, but I don't care to feel proud, I need to find my mother. I release Bolin and Mako's hands to allow them a moment to catch their breath as I carry on sprinting through the halls of the palace. I turn a corner and I stop as I see my mother and grandfather talking. As if she can sense me she turns her head my direction.

"Mother, can you please explain what is-" I begin, but she cuts me off.

"Ulazu, there you are. Quick, come with me." She says as she takes a couple of large strides so that she is standing right before me. She takes my hand and guides me through the corridors again and I know instantly we're heading to my room.

"Mother, what is happening?" I ask growing frustrated by her not telling me what's going on. She looks to me and smiles widely which only adds to my confusion. She says nothing, she just smiles as she opens the door to my room and presents me to the four women already standing in my room. My eyes widen and I feel my jaw drop completely baffled by what's happening, but I can't begin to question it.

"I want her ready within the hour." My mother says to the four maids who smile and bow their heads in response.

"Of course, Fire Lord, we'll get to work right away." The older of the four replies. She shuffles over to me and takes my hand, but I am still completely perplexed.

"Matron, Mother, what is going on?" I ask desperately, addressing the older woman before turning to my mother. Matron moves me into the centre of the room and she begins stripping me of my layers. I would complain and argue that I can dress myself, but my eyes are clinging onto my mother in desperate need of some answers. My mother can see how confused and scared I am just from my eyes, and so she walks over to me and places a hand on my cheek.

"I will explain everything to you shortly, but for now, please let Matron and the other maids get you ready for the announcement. I need you looking your best." My mother says in a calm tone. Her voice instantly soothes me, but that doesn't stop my head from rushing with thoughts. I take a deep breath and nod in response, trying to ignore the woman as they tug my clothes off, leaving me in just my underwear.

"Okay, mother." I sigh in defeat. She gently strokes my cheek before placing a kiss on my forehead.

"I am so proud of you, Ulazu," she says, looking at me for a moment before taking a couple of steps back, "Now I need to make sure your brother has arrived and I need to make sure your grandfather has found Bolin." She says as she backs away to the door. I frown slightly, my confusion growing again, but I can't question her. She quickly departs leaving me alone with the four handmaids.

Matron wraps a dressing gown around me and she ties it to cover me up. One of the women bring a stall over whilst two others bring over a large bucket full of water. Matron sits me down on the stall and puts one of my feet into the water. I watch her nervously as she scrubs my legs, but she doesn't seem bothered by the scars covering my feet and ankles. I thought she would be, but she doesn't say anything. One of the other woman crouch down and take over for Matron as she stands up and begins brushing my hair. I let out a soft sigh as I let them get to work. It's now I'm sitting here that I remember how much I dislike being a princess. Sure, some might look at this and wish they could be pampered and treated like this, but I hate it.

The door opens and I look over, my eyes widening when they land on Korra and Asami. What are they doing here? They are supposed to be in the Spirit world not here, why are they here?

"Korra, Asami, wha-" I stammer as I stand, but Matron forces me to sit down again.

"Princess, sit!" Matron scolds me.