Epilogue

"Ulazu, have you got something to put over the top of this?" My mother asks as she stands back to look at me, her eyebrows twitching and I know it's because she doesn't approve. 

"There's a veil, but I don't think it's going to cover the dress," I answer her. Matron walks to the two of us and begins fastening the veil to the top of my head. She then moves the long material around my back, letting it flow against the back of my dress. I watch my mother closely as she watches Matron move the fabric, but I can still tell that she isn't happy. 

"What's wrong, mother? You liked this one in the shop," I ask, suddenly feeling self conscious. My heart rate is frantic, and it has been ever since I woke up this morning. It's been a month since mine and Bolin's coronation and a lot has happened. Firstly, we legalised same sex marriages and the nation has spent the past month celebrating wedding after wedding. We have also made heatbending on another person illegal. Bolin did argue that maybe we should add a clause to say that one may use it if it will save a life, but I feel as though it will be obvious to all if that situation is to occur. Another thing we had managed to achieve within the first month of ruling is we have signed the Sun Warriors back into the Fire Nation which is one of our greatest achievements. After decades, the dragons have returned to mainland, and although a lot remain with the Sun Warriors, dragons now fill the skies around the islands which is the most beautiful thing to see.

"I did, but your breasts just seem to be falling out," she says with a huff. I look down to see what she's talking about, but I frown. My cleavage is on show, but it's not that bad. 

"I can readjust the corset, Lord Izumi," Matron suggests. 

"Yes, maybe it's best we retie the corset," she says. I sigh and chew on the inside of my cheek nervously as Matron quickly moves the veil aside and begins untying the corset. The door opens and Korra and Asami walk in wearing matching gold dresses. Asami gasps as her eyes land on me and Korra grins. 

"Ulazu, you look beautiful," Asami cries, her hands cupping her cheeks as she stares at my dress. 

"Bolin is going to freak when he sees you," Korra says in agreement. I smile as my two bridesmaids enter the room, taking a seat to the side so they can watch what's going on. 

"Maybe that's because he'll be worried his soon-to-be wife's breasts are about to announce themselves to the room," my mother huffs again as she lifts my dress up so that Matron can retie it in the correct place. I exhale sharply as she begins tugging.

"Mother you're making a big deal about it," I say, quickly cut off as Matron squeezes the breath from my lungs as she continues to tighten the corset.

"I'm trying to keep my only daughter's dignity here," she argues with me. Matron carries on fastening the corset, and when she is done, she quickly puts my veil back into position before moving away from me, as if I'm the piece of art she has just now completed. "That's perfect," my mother gasps. I look up to her as she lets out a small squeal of joy and I smile. 

"Can I look now?" I ask and my mother nods. I move away from her and walk to the mirror. I take a deep breath before lifting my gaze to my reflection, and as soon as my eyes catch sight of myself, my breath catches in the back of my throat. I don't think I've ever looked this beautiful before. I'm not sure whether it's arrogant to call myself beautiful, but I really do feel it right now as I admire myself. The red of my dress pierces my eyes as it flows down my body, the low cut line now higher to cover the majority of my cleavage, however it can still be seen. My eyes move down to see the small details made into the skirt, soft golden flecks scatter the red making it look like fire and I've never seen something so stunning. I can't remember this dress looking so beautiful in the shop.