Chapter 17

I walk out of the hotel, making sure to stay close to my mother's side. It's going to be strange staying in Republic City without her, and I know it probably shouldn't seeing as I've done it before, but that was three years ago. I can't help but feel as if so much has changed since then. I've changed since then. Or at least I think I have. But either way, I know I'll be fine. Bolin is here, and he reassured me that he would help me if I'm struggling with anything, and I have my friends here. I don't need my mother and grandfather to hold my hand, I need to learn how to do this on my own... again. Maybe staying in the Fire Nation with them has made me rely on them too much rather than relying on myself.

The morning sun shines down on us as soon as we leave and I can't help but look up, embracing its warmth. My grandfather would always tell me how a firebender's power is connected to the sun, and in this moment I can truly feel what he means.

"Ulazu, since you're wanting to remain here, I need you to promise me that you will not get involved." My mother says and I find myself nodding even though she is looking ahead rather than at me.

"I promise you, mother. The only thing I will be doing is helping those caught in the crossfire." I reply.

"I thought you told Raiko that you weren't doing that anymore?" My grandfather questions. I turn to him and see his confused raised brow and I nod.

"Yes, I told him I wouldn't help him. But that doesn't mean I can't help people my way." I say and my grandfather smiles.

"I'm glad to hear that you wouldn't give up on them." He says and my small smile leaves my face to be taken over my a serious expression.

"I would never give up on people that need me, no matter how much someone upsets me." I say. At this my mother stops walking and turns to me. She wears a smile similar to my grandfather's and she looks at me, not saying a single thing for a good ten seconds before she pulls me into a hug.

"You make me so proud, Ulazu. I really should have been listening to you all along." She says. I wrap my arms around her and laugh. Five years ago, my mother would have never said anything like this to me. I was always overlooked and forced to follow what she wanted for me. But things have really changed since then.

"Yeah, then I wouldn't have had to run away in the first place." I say with a small chuckle. She draws back, still keeping her hands on my shoulders.

"But if you had never run away then you would have never met Bolin, or your friends, or become the woman you are today." My grandfather says. My mother and I turn to him and I smile softly.

"I guess there always is a light at the end of the tunnel." My mother says softly as she turns back to me. We share a smile before she pulls me into another short hug, soon releasing me so that I can give my grandfather a goodbye hug.

"When can we expect you back in the Fire Nation?" My grandfather asks as he lets me go.

"I'm not certain. Though if you need me back, tell me and I'll head straight home." I say. My grandfather nods and turns to my mother.

"Okay, then we will see you soon." My mother says. I bow my head to her to her out of habit and she smiles.

"I love you both." I say.

"We love you too, stay safe, Ulazu." My grandfather says.

"Yes, stay safe, and you must be sure to bring Bolin back with you." My mother says as her and my grandfather start to walk away. I feel a faint blush hit my cheeks and I'm unable to remove the idea of me and Bolin living together just like how we talked about last night. Thinking about having a family with him makes me go giddy and I am in love with the feeling.