Chapter 21

I pant heavily as we sprint through the city as fast as we can. Sweat drips down from my hairline, but I ignore it as I look over my shoulder to see the mecha-giant firing it's spirit beam at the buildings around us. It's like Kuvira's only plan is to cause destruction and it's honestly terrifying. Another shot fires and the ground beneath us shakes causing a gasp to slip past my lips. I grit my teeth as adrenaline pumps through my body at an alarming rate. I have to get to those civilians before Kuvira does.

I guide Hani and Bamir down each street, continuing to focus on the heat signature we're trying to find. I can hear the two breathe heavily behind me, but neither one stop, we all know how important it is to make it in time.

"How much further, Ulazu?" Bamir asks.

"Should just be around this corner." I respond with a grunt as another rumble growls through the city as Kuvira's weapon fires. We turn the corner and I pause for a second as I hone in on the heat signatures, and as soon as I lock onto it, I begin running again. We race towards a restaurant and I bust through the door as soon as I reach it. A series of panicked gasps fill my ears as I see a large crowd cowering in the booths and behind the tables. I didn't mean to make them more scared by my abrupt arrival, but we don't have time for anything else.

"Princess Ulazu?" I hear a woman gasp and I look towards her briefly before addressing the group.

"We're here to get you out safely." I say and they murmur among themselves.

"You want us to go out there? We'll die!" A man cries. I can see the sheer terror in everyone's eyes which makes me clench my jaw due to the frustrations I'm feeling. We don't have time for this panic. I open my mouth to argue with him, but I stop myself. It's understandable that they're scared, I need to remember that. I take a deep breath to calm myself before giving them a small smile in hopes at comforting them.

"I understand that you're scared, but we're here to make sure you're safe and make it out of the city." I say in a calm manner. Before anyone can say anything else I sense a large amount of heat heading our way, forcing me to spin on my heels to stare at the door. "Everyone, get down!" I yell. I run towards the civilians and force them down as the spirit beam comes crashing into the building. I can faintly hear the panicked screams on the civilians over the sound of the laser, but I don't focus on it, rather I lie on my back bending as much fire as I can around us to protect everyone from the spirit beam.

Not even a second passes before the spirit beam drops and as soon as it does I stop bending fire. I pant, not caring about the layer of sweat covering my face, as I stare up at the ceiling, but as I stare I notice cracks form in it. I gasp and shoot up into a seated position.

"Bamir!" I yell. Instantly my friend follows my gaze and his eyes widen as he sees it. He lifts his hands and he bends the ceiling up as it begins to give way. I look away from him and start helping the civilians up. "Come on, everyone out." I say as I help each one up. I glance over towards Hani who helps them out of the door. I wait until the last civilian is out before running after them, and shortly behind me Bamir runs out.

I look up to the skyline to see that Kuvira's weapon has moved past us. I sigh slightly, thankful that there isn't an immediate threat to us and the civilians, but I know it isn't safe. And I also know that I haven't checked the rest of the city.

"Do any of you know if there is anyone else nearby?" I ask as I look at the group.

"I-I don't know." One of the woman say and I nod pursing my lips as I turn to Hani and Bamir. They both stand next to the civilians and I notice their expressions drop as I look at them.

"Ulazu, I know what you're thinking, but-" Hani starts, but I stop him.

"We haven't checked the city, we can't leave anyone behind." I say and Bamir nods.