Chapter 40

My heart slams against my chest painfully as adrenaline shoots through me. Huo flies over the sea towards Capital Island with the two dragons and my friends following. I have no idea where Izuk is, but all I know is that he's on his way to kill my family and then my nation. And I'm worried. Maybe I should be scared, but I'm not. I'm confident that I can defeat him now, thanks to Huo's lessons at the ancient city, but I'm worried that I am doing something wrong. My head looks over my shoulder to Bolin. He sits behind Mako on the red dragon, his face up taking in the air around him.

I keep replaying everything I said after Izuk's message and I can't help but worry that I've said something wrong. I said 'we need to go', but I also said 'I need to go'. Does that mean he's taken it as my response to him? I just don't understand what to do. I don't think I can promise him I will ask for help. I'm petrified that he will die, but is it selfish of me to not promise it? I go on about wanting to keep him safe yet I refuse to let him do the same for me.

I lean down and rest my head against Huo as he soars through the air.

"Huo, are we friends?" I ask in a whisper, scared that my friends might overhear what I say. Huo looks back at me for a moment and I see a small blow of smoke leave his nostrils which I take to mean yes. And so I carry on. "What do I do?" I mutter as I turn my head, my cheek resting against the green scales. "I'm so scared to lose him, but is my fear going to be the one to push him away?" I ask.

Huo moves, his body tilting slightly as we fly beside the red dragon rather than ahead. He lets out a grunt and turns to the red dragon. I twist my head so that I'm still lying my head against Huo but now following the green dragon's gaze. I'm looking directly at Bolin and I feel as though Huo is telling me what to do right now. Mako senses us join their side and turns.

"Ulazu, are you okay?" He asks loudly so I can hear him through the wind blowing around us. At this Bolin turns my way and I suddenly grow flustered. I clear my throat and sit up, wiping my face slightly. I open my mouth to reply, but I stop as my eyes land on a large airship.

"Izuk!" I say loudly. I stand up on Huo's back to get a better view and when I do I feel my blood run cold. There isn't just one airship, there's ten. Ten airships full of people trying to kill my family and nation. The blue dragon moves close to the red's side and Korra looks over to me in worry. "Huo set us down," I instruct him. He lets out a huff in response and descends to the small patch of earth lying on the outskirts of Capital Island. As soon as Huo touches the ground I jump off the large dragon, a soft grunt leaving my lips as my feet slam against the rocks, but I don't focus on the small amount of pain. My eyes are locked onto the airships that now float over Capital Island. I can see faint black movements jump down from the airships and onto my Island which makes me feel nauseous. They're attacking my people.

The red and blue dragon land next to us and I sense the four run towards me, but my eyes are locked onto the faint sparks of fire hitting the air between the buildings. My chest rises and lowers faster than before as fear consumes me.

"What's the plan?" Korra asks. I finally turn around as a thin layer of tears form in my eyes. I should have just let Izuk kill me, that way my people wouldn't be getting terrorised right now.

"I need to get to the city," I say as I look back. A lump forms in my throat and I feel adrenaline shoot through me.

"What about the airships? Izuk is most likely up there," Mako says. I run my hands over my face to try and control my emotions before turning back. The four of them watch me closely and I find my eyes meeting Bolin in attempt to gain comfort.

"I have to get there, my people-" My voice cracks slightly and I shake my head to calm myself, tearing my eyes away from Bolin. Don't get hysteric now, Ulazu. "I have to protect my people," I say.